1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Building bar. Help needed

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by Sudsy23, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Sudsy23

Sudsy23 Initiate (15) Feb 18, 2013

Hey guys,

Im currently building my basement bar and am stuck for what to do for the draft beer system. I was originally going to build a standard kegerator and then started looking online and found this listed locally

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-...eer-tower-for-sale-500-obo-W0QQAdIdZ456267815

Can anyone explain how these systems work?

The tower is exactly what I'm looking for and sounds like something that would be cool for a basement bar but maybe I'm missing something.

It says the keg doesn't have to be cooled cause the chiller does it, does that make sense? Then I wouldn't need to build a keg box into my bar.

Help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  2. billandsuz

billandsuz Savant (380) New York Sep 1, 2004

the tower is glycol cooled and the seller is either uninformed or dishonest.

keg beer needs to be cold. the glycol is looped with the beer lines and is nothing more than a refrigerant. a chiller keeps the glycol cold and in turn keeps the beer in the line cold. a bar can keep their kegs in a remote location, a basement or back room, and run beer lines quite far this way. the beer has to be cold the whole way from keg to glass, no exceptions. otherwise it will go stale or wild. it will foam like a bastard. beer is food, and most domestic kegs with few exceptions need to be kept cold.

anyway, you dont want this. you also dont want a glycol system. well, maybe you do, but seeing as this is your first post and you are just beginning the deign of your bar, you really don't need to make this overly complex.

Cheers.
  3. Sudsy23

Sudsy23 Initiate (15) Feb 18, 2013

I appreciate the help on this. To be honest the appeal on this wasn't even so much the system as it was the tower. I've been looking around online and it seems the ceramic towers can be pretty pricey. Thanks for explaining the system. Doesn't sound like its what I need, as a basic kegerator will be much easier
  4. billandsuz

billandsuz Savant (380) New York Sep 1, 2004

ceramic towers are nice. micromatic has them on clearance every now and again. a mini-mushroom would probably be the best choice. you should know that installing a tower in a home bar is possible but will require a bit of planning.
    your going to need to know how to run a keg system, not hard but this is not something the local hardware store can help you with. look through this board frequently.
    Cheers.