1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

"Built to just be enjoyed without being blathered on about" IPAs

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by pitweasel, Aug 15, 2014.

1. pitweasel

pitweasel Advocate (545) New York Jun 11, 2007

We've got a "built to last" thread. We've got a "built to fall" thread. So what's your favorite anonymous IPA?

For me, I love reaching for a pint of Coop's F5 IPA whenever I'm in Oklahoma. Never heard of it until my first tour stop there, and I've never seen it anywhere else. But each time I go, I check the tap lists for it. Good enough to keep me coming back and specifically looking for it, but not so mind shatteringly awesome that I'd ever spend the time and money to have someone mail it to me.

So let's ignore the hype train, and let's hold off on bashing beers you didn't like. What's your hidden gem?

2. I wouldn't call either "hidden gems" but Racer 5 and Smuttynose Finestkind are both outstanding "no-frills" IPAs that have stood the test of time. Racer 5 has the added advantage of being almost as ubiquitous as "SA Seasonal" on most beer lists. Plus, at least in my opinion, both of these seem to have better-than-average shelve lives for seriously hoppy IPAs meaning the odds of getting something nasty, even in relatively low-traffic craft joints is pretty low.

3. A local here called Three Heads makes a beer called The Kind. It won't knock down any of the big boys, but it's still really, really tasty and clearly well made, and I always enjoy it.

4. SKA Modus Hoparandi
    Pizza Port Swamis
    Victory Dirt Wolf

robear, SidDuffman, brewskis and 13 others like this.
  5. Solemn Oath Kidnapped By Vikings .... oh,yeah!

6. can we have a day without a damn IPA thread? there's plenty of other styles, you know....

7. utopiajane

utopiajane Champion (860) New York Jun 11, 2013

I really liked Kona Castaway IPA.

8. It's not ignored, but a lot of people seem to look past Long Trail Limbo. It's a phenomenal IPA in my view and I've been finding it at less than two weeks old regularly.

Also, Torpedo.

9. Agree but I have to say that I also enjoyed their regular IPA in cans this summer as well.

I also really like Weyerbacher's 2014 version of Viridis Lupulus.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
    WellRested518 and Providence like this.
  10. HopDevil and Big Eye. I love both those beers...*sheds tears*

brewskis, ions, beerdedking and 9 others like this.
  11. I think that Sierra Nevada makes hoppy beers/IPAs that should be enjoyed without the need to "blather" about them: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Torpedo, Celebration, etc.

At a recent Beer Week event I had the pleasure to drink a Sierra Nevada IPA that was brewed with Equinox hops. If Sierra Nevada decided to make that beer a product I personally will be blathering.

Bill (@sierranevadabill ), is there any chance there will be a year round beer called Sierra Nevada Equinox IPA?

Cheers!

Sed73, jRocco2021, bennetj17 and 3 others like this.
  12. sixpoint Resin and Bengali Tiger

13. Vogt52

Vogt52 Advocate (570) Maryland May 25, 2014

Heavy seas loose cannon

14. NEBCO Sea Hag, my trusty go to sixxer while everyone else is fighting over the Gandhi.

15. Good Call.

Yea, fresh Limbo is up there with Hoponious Union for best affordable/6pack IPA in New England. Its kinda like Finest Kind IPA was 4+ years ago. Ipswich just released a West Coast IPA that I'm digging too.

Union Jack + Racer 5 always make me appreciate beer, wish they were easier to find fresh.

16. StuartCarter

StuartCarter Savant (425) Alabama Apr 25, 2006

Greene King IPA on cask. Enough flavour to be interesting, but no much it *demands* attention.

Flashy likes this.
  17. Second the love for Ska Modus Hoperandi

18. Forgot about that one! Actually, I like a lot of their beers.

19. Modus is a good call -- gets lost in the shuffle, partly because Ska can be so hit-or-miss otherwise, but that beer helped me understand the descriptor "dank".

creepinjeeper and Rollzroyce21 like this.
  20. Almost forgot about that one, especially since they are finally in CT now. I see a lot in my future.

21. Beervana

Beervana Savant (375) Denmark Apr 15, 2014

Dieu Du Ciel Moralite. Not sure what kind of distribution it sees south of the border, but it certainly seems to fly under the radar.

I've gone through at least a couple dozen this summer.

VelvetExtract likes this.
  22. The answer is Summit Saga. You can not go wrong.

KOP_Beer_OUtlet, jkn09, JG-90 and 5 others like this.
  23. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Advocate (505) Missouri May 11, 2012

Schlafly AIPA and TIPA

sssence, frognot, JG-90 and 10 others like this.
  24. StLeasy

StLeasy Savant (485) Illinois Sep 8, 2013

It was just released a few weeks ago, Jack!

[​IMG]

Cheers!

25. ASak10

ASak10 Savant (330) Colorado Jan 2, 2014

Odell IPA doesn't get a lot of blather despite being rated 95 after 2,000+ reviews. It seems to be a forgotten classic. Myrcenary from Odell is also amazing, without any hype around it (96 rating after 2,000+ reviews, although it's a DIPA).

Locally, Comrade Brewing Superpower is phenomenal. Only on tap for now, not sure if there are plans to bottle or can in the future, but if ever in the Denver area, it's worth a trip to the brewery for that beer alone.

London_Gent, denver10, turfy and 8 others like this.
  26. Spiral517

Spiral517 Savant (265) Maryland Sep 17, 2013

I would say dirtwolf but here in the md/va area all ive been able to find recently are the "best by Aug. 19" or "best by Sep. 1" bottles. Which means they are about 5 mos old. C'mon people, where is the fresh dirtwolf??

27. Plus the Crisp.

28. Summit Red Horizon IPA. Nothin' fancy, just a good sippin' IPA that didn't let me down for an entire (free) case.

29. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Savant (355) Virginia Jun 21, 2009

Heavy Seas Loose Canon and Flying Dog Raging Bitch satisfy my needs for all things hoppy.

jskennedy and ions like this.
  30. Mild_Bill

Mild_Bill Aficionado (225) Illinois Jun 12, 2013

Lagunitas Maximus... HopStoopid...

31. MgoJohnStamos

MgoJohnStamos Savant (295) Michigan Jun 15, 2013

how bout Revolution Anti Hero or Half Acre Daisy Cutter?

32. Head Hunter IPA and Big Eye

33. StLeasy

StLeasy Savant (485) Illinois Sep 8, 2013

I'm only including year-rounds.

Pretty much any Lagunitas IPA, especially Lil Sumpin and Hop Stoopid for their availability.
    Stone IPA and Ruination. SSR, Levitation, and Arrogant Bastard too if we're counting reds and blacks.
    Firestone Walker Union Jack and Double Jack. Wookey too (if^^)
    Bell's Two Hearted Ale
    Founders Centennial (and Red's Rye on draft)
    Green Flash WCIPA and HHR.

This was supposed to be a list of our most purchased IPA's, right? :p Cheers!

upsbeernut, seanchai and russpowell like this.
  34. Ive got a few
    Steel Toe Size 7
    TG Golden Nugget
    TG Zeelander

jimmygord and VelvetExtract like this.
  35. Odell IPA.

denver10, hardy008, frognot and 6 others like this.
  36. rather

rather Savant (305) California May 31, 2013

golden roads ol'burro ipa for trader joes is nice. 6$ 4 pints

37. lightman1

lightman1 Aficionado (180) Arkansas Oct 19, 2013

New Belgium Ranger, Breckenridge 471, Sierra Nevada Torpedo are good steady "go to" beers for me. Always good, always the same, they just work. Arkansas's Diamond Bear makes a good IPA, also.

38. T-RO

T-RO Savant (310) New Hampshire Nov 9, 2012

No distro that I've seen. So want to try this.

39. charlzm

charlzm Champion (775) California Sep 3, 2007

if I could get Bell's Two-Hearted near me, I would drink that. I'm also a fan of Harpoon, which doesn't get out my way. I guess Union Jack, Sculpin and Torpedo are my go-to IPAs when I want one out here in Southern California.

brewlover517 and HuskyHawk like this.