1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bulk Hop Purchase

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by inchrisin, Dec 3, 2012.

1. inchrisin

inchrisin Savant (425) Indiana Sep 25, 2008

I don't know a lot about the sites that sell hops by the pound. Do they have times of the year that they have sales? I know suppliers tend to do this with grains around September (harvest season). Does hopdirect or nikobrew or anywhere else ever do something similar?

Also, I'm looking for a place that can sell me a pound of the following:

Cascade
    Centennial
    Nugget
    Simcoe <----seems to be a rare one
    Willamette

Also, is it common for some of you guys to go out and drop $100 on hops like I might? :)
  2. warchez

warchez Savant (275) Massachusetts Oct 19, 2004

You just missed a big round of Black Friday sales on whole pounds of hops from NikoBrew. I picked up a pound of EKG and Amarillo. I also purchases some warrior, cascade and falconers flight; all at half pound amounts.

So yes, I am all for spending big on bulk hops just like grain if the deal is right and I feel like I'll use them.
    inchrisin likes this.
  3. ryane

ryane Savant (320) Washington Nov 21, 2007

hopsdirect always puts up the last years crop for reduced prices around harvest time, but when they are 5-15$/lb for the current harvest iits not a big deal anyway
  4. Hops direct can get you a good price on the variety's you're looking for with the exception of Simcoe. I just did a group order with them and it went really well, we got in just in time to snag a bunch of Citra and Amarillo before they ran out. I've also done orders with B Crosby Hops (http://bcrosbyhops.com/), they have really good prices and should be getting pellets of the 2012 harvest in soon.

Dropping $100 on hops seems like a lot at the time, but if you think about paying $2-$3 per ounce at the homebrew store, you'll really save money throughout the year. I strongly recommend investing in a vacuum sealer if you're going this route, you can keep your hops fresh for a long time this way.
  5. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Champion (780) Texas May 21, 2010

I've had good experiences with hops direct and with brewmasterswarehouse.com, although for bulk hops, hops direct is better (more selection, bulk seller). However, I've bought half pounds on occasion from brewmasters warehouse, and I've had no problems with what I've gotten from them either.

You should not have trouble finding most of those except simcoe.
  6. HerbMeowing

HerbMeowing Savant (320) Virginia Nov 10, 2010

7. mb2696

mb2696 Zealot (80) Virginia Dec 9, 2008

8. inchrisin

Thanks for all the post so far guys. I think I'm a little behind in the game and should know more about some of these sites by now.

I've been to these places and I'm kind of bummed out I can't get simcoe for a decent price. It's just as frustrating that all the prices of each variety vary wildly between sellers. It make it hard to buy from one guy and pay shipping ONCE. :) I think I'll add one more to the list in case anyone didn't know about it:

http://www.yakimavalleyhops.com/category_s/1825.htm

They seem like they could stand up to hopdirect. Anyone have any experience with these guys?
  9. MrOH

MrOH Savant (440) Maryland Jul 5, 2010

Buying Simcoe bulk is a tough one. You have to be paying attention at the right time to snag it (I did). Same with Amarillo and Citra (not that you asked). If you can find it in bulk at <$25-30 a pound, you should go for it if you would be buying enough other stuff to keep the shipping cost down. It will definitely be over $3 an ounce at the homebrew shops in the coming year. The other hops should be easy to get, with the possible exception of centennial if you wait much longer.
    inchrisin likes this.
  10. AlCaponeJunior

My LHBS is anticipating selling citra/simcoe by the ounce at close to $3 a pound with no bulk. :(

I will probably keep trying to snag some in bulk at various online outlets as I can.
  11. And they're gone.
  12. HerbMeowing

13. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 Advocate (535) Minnesota May 11, 2007

Yakima valley and hopsdirect are the two place I get my hops and I would highly recommend both to anyone.
  14. HerbMeowing

15. oregone

oregone Savant (365) Oregon Jul 2, 2008

Some wicked good deals on pounds there today.
  16. inchrisin

Thanks for the legwork. Looks like I'll finally spend an embarrassingly large number of dollars on hops this year.
  17. mnstorm99

This is making me reconsider "not" getting Simcoe this year.
  18. I've been happy with hopsdirect.com for my bulk hops purchases for several years. They are/were liquidating those Belma hops on the cheap this harvest season. $6/lb. Some of the other sites listed in this thread have good reputations although I haven't personally done business with them.
  19. mnstorm99

Belma IPA being brewed Saturday morning, I'll possibly add in some cascade. I haven't used them yet, but I need to find out if another pound is in order.
  20. DubbelMan

DubbelMan Aficionado (170) New York Mar 17, 2009

I just stocked up! Thanks for sharing.

Cheers!
  21. Labelpeelers rocks and they ship USPS ! so it a bit cheaper for shipping
  22. AlCaponeJunior

Belma IPA in the fermenter now. :D

hope it's good because at those prices I got three pounds of it. :eek:
  23. mnstorm99

For something different (I always start the year with something a bit different), I think I may do a mix of Belma and Calypso in this IPA. I saw your blog post last night, and am interested in how it turns out so I bookmarked it.

FWIW, here is what I am working on: http://hopville.com/recipe/1670043

Once I open up a bit of freezer space I want to get a pound of Chinook, so I may pick up another pound of Belma anyway. Sounds like a good bittering and complimentary flavor and aroma hop anyway.
    AlCaponeJunior likes this.
  24. AlCaponeJunior

I think your pretty simple recipe should showcase those hops well. I haven't tried calypso, so I can't comment. My guess is, it'll be good so go for it and report back. There are so many people talking about belma, but few with finished beers containing it, so I'll report back too. :D
  25. HerbMeowing

26. cracker

cracker Savant (395) Pennsylvania May 2, 2004

27. AlCaponeJunior

I just made a Belma IPA. It could have used some cascade, I would say yes, put those in there late. Mine is pretty good but not great. I've brewed better IPAs, but it will still all get drank! :cool:

tasting notes in comments
  28. Naugled

Naugled Savant (455) New York Sep 25, 2007

29. HerbMeowing

From LP's earlier e-mail messages...and knowing they were sold out of Simcoe last year...and they buy from LD Carlson (located a few miles up the road from their store)...it's safe to assume these hops are the 2012 crop.

They made a big 'contract' buy early in the season.
    The pre-order sale's price was ~$22#.
    Looks like they may have over-bought.

E-mail them if there's any doubt.
    Their customer service is good.
    Naugled likes this.
  30. cracker

I highly doubt it's anything other than 2012 considering the popularity and high demand for Simcoe.
  31. Naugled

Thanks, you were right. LP confirmed they are 2010 hops, actually they said all of their hops are now 2012. And their customer service was very good. I ordered up an lb of Simcoe.
  32. cracker

Confused. They confirmed they are 2012 hops or 2010 hops?
  33. Naugled

Hah! Good catch, typo should read 2012
  34. mnstorm99

Any news on this one?

Just kegged my Belma/Calypso IPA and the taste at Kegging was very Calypso forward. This thing taste more Belgian than IPA to me with a huge apple/pear aroma and flavor from the calypso (certainly the biggest I have had with this hop yet). This was just kegging so I will see how it is in another week or two.
  35. AlCaponeJunior

tasting notes belma IPA

We've about drank them all now. Quite drinkable, just not magnificent as far as IPA hops go. Gonna use them for bittering additions and flavor for non-hop forward beers
  36. mnstorm99

The notes from two weeks in stayed pretty consistent thoughout? Wasn't sure if it changed any more over the next couple weeks.
  37. AlCaponeJunior

Honestly it never had that super strong, crisp hop bite like ruination, so if it's improved or faded, I can't be totally sure. Basically it's remained pretty consistent over a month.
  38. mnstorm99

Cool, we'll see how mine is in a week.