1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Bulk or bottle age

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by ipas-for-life, Dec 13, 2012.

1. ipas-for-life

ipas-for-life Member

Brewing a stout this weekend and shooting for a 1.085 OG. I am planning to let it sit in the primary 3-4 weeks. Would you bottle it straight from primary and let it bottle condition for awhile or use a secondary to bulk age for a month before bottling? If bulk aging is the way to go will I need to add more yeast at the time of bottling? Thanks
  2. brewsader

brewsader Member

if you're only bulk-aging for a month you'd be fine on the yeast. you might not get much change out of it over a month, so you might want to go a little longer (at least two) but unless you go several times longer than that, you should still have enough yeast in suspension assuming you pitched a healthy amount to begin with.
  3. premierpro

premierpro Member

For big beers I like to bottle condition for no other reason then to have one less step.
  4. HopNuggets

HopNuggets Member

I just did an Impy Stout that was around the same gravity you are shooting for. 4 weeks in primary and bottled two 22oz bombers with carb drops. I bulk aged the rest for 5 months on 2oz American Medium Plus Toast Oak Cubes that I soaked in Makers Mark. I bottled it w/ a sachet of Muntons Generic Ale yeast since it was so long on the oak. Basically what I'm saying is that I cracked a bomber of the Impy Stout this past weekend after 6-7 months in the bottle and it was delicious! The bourbon oaked version is very tasty too but the regular version is very delicious as well (no secondary).

I pitched a 2L Started Stepped up with another 2L Starter, so there was plenty of yeast for that beer.