1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Busch Signature Copper Lager

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by Redrover, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Redrover

Redrover Advocate (745) Illinois Jan 18, 2003

Looks like Busch has a new beer on the horizon. From the news on Beer Pulse:

Press Release:
    (St. Louis, MO) – Busch Signature Copper Lager hit shelves this week in select regions across the United States, marking the arrival of the first liquid innovation for the Busch brand in more than 15 years and the first copper lager value beer on the market. The new brew – available in 12 states across the Midwest – offers Busch drinkers a slightly-more-flavorful beer for that slightly-more-special occasion.
    “For Busch drinkers who work hard and want to celebrate an accomplishment, big or small, we created a smooth-tasting copper lager for those moments in life that deserve something slightly more special,” said Edison Yu, vice president of value brands at Anheuser-Busch. “Busch Signature is the first and only copper lager in the category and a simple, approachable choice for consumers that seek a more flavorful beer without any of the pretentiousness.”
    Busch Signature Copper Lager offers bold flavor without sacrificing affordability. Proudly brewed with grains from America’s heartland, the new beer is a smooth, full-bodied copper lager that introduces the richness of roasted caramel malts to the classic Busch recipe. The result is a sweet aroma, signature smooth taste, clean finish and distinctive copper color.
    Busch Signature Copper Lager gives Busch drinkers the same smooth, signature taste they have come to expect from Busch beer, enhanced with a full-bodied premium taste and 5.7% alc/vol.
    Whether you are stocking the fridge for a get together with a few of your favorites or picking up a six pack for the championship tailgate, Busch Signature Copper Lager is the perfect complement to any event with cause for a bit more celebration. Busch Signature Copper Lager is now available in Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota and Wisconsin. It is available in three pack sizes: 12-pack 12 oz. bottles; six-pack 16 oz. cans; and 25 oz. cans.
    To usher in the new beer, Busch is offering fans a penny for their thoughts – literally. At select establishments across the Midwest, consumers who provide their thoughts on the taste and look of the new brew will receive a penny along with a limited-edition Busch Signature Copper Lager coaster to commemorate Busch’s first liquid innovation in nearly two decades. Dates and locations for the Busch Signature Copper Lager sampling events will be announced in the coming weeks.
    The concept and packaging for Busch Signature Copper Lager – developed in partnership with LPK Cincinnati – feature a familiar mountain landscape with a revamped copper color scheme.
    For more information on Busch Signature Copper Lager, visit www.Busch.com or www.facebook.com/Busch.

http://beerpulse.com/2014/02/busch-...rand-familys-first-new-beer-in-15-years-2466/
  2. I'd definitely like to try this. Heard the packs of tall boys were ridiculous cheap and easy drinking. Sounds like a winner for my new BBQ beer.
    Blueribbon666 likes this.
  3. Another American Amber Adjunct Lager (AAAL) from a BMC brewery. Let me see if I can count them: Budweiser Black Crown, Third Shift Amber Lager, Miller Fortune, …

Should I add Batch 19 to that list?

Of course the new twist to some of these beers is higher alcohol content. Busch Copper is part of that at 5.7% ABV.
    I wonder if Yuengling Brewing and Spoetzl (Shiner Bock) are happy that their beers of Yuengling Traditional Lager and Shiner Bock have company?

I should mention that AB has an ‘old school’ AAAL of Ziegenbock but that beer is only available in Texas.

Cheers!
    creepinjeeper likes this.
  4. You forgot the late unlamented Budweiser American Ale.
  5. I wouldn’t include Budweiser American Ale in a list of AAAL beers.

Cheers!
    Brew33 likes this.
  6. JohnnyMc

JohnnyMc Savant (425) Ohio Feb 14, 2012

Ohio can get this?! YES!!!
  7. Harnkus

Harnkus Savant (360) New York Oct 31, 2013

For one thing, it was an ale, but also, a decent brew.

I'll be happy to try one of these. I don't give a fuck. I don't toss around words like adjunct and corn with contempt. Homie just don't give a fuck about shit like that.
    admobeer34 and Feel_the_Darkness like this.
  8. This homie don't care if it's an ale or lager, it was yet another half-assed attempt at a pseudo-craft amber beer.

And apparently not enough consumers agreed with you for Bud to keep producing it.
  9. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (700) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

I'm expecting one of these to eventually be named "White Flag Lager" or "Throw in the Towel Lager", or something along those lines.
    dhannes, 5thOhio and HRamz3 like this.
  10. I have been looking for a beer that is slightly more flavorful than Busch.
  11. I am curious what percentage of Caramel Malts are used compared with the amount of adjuncts used in this.
  12. Unfortunately anyone who buys Busch is not.
  13. slacker79

slacker79 Aficionado (170) Ohio Mar 27, 2011

WesMantooth likes this.
  14. HRamz3

HRamz3 Advocate (630) Pitcairn Feb 9, 2010

I'm curious what percentage of Caramel Food Coloring is used.
  15. Pretty good reviews on this. My curiosity is piqued
  16. It's not terrifying - I'd have one at a party if offered. That said, it's still in the Busch family of brands and should be regarded as such.
    creepinjeeper likes this.
  17. The day is coming, or perhaps upon us, when someone throwing a party opens up their beer fridge and invites their guests to sample something from their "diverse" lineup:

For guests that want something that's not too intense: Honkers Ale
    For guests that like Belgian Wits: Hoegarden
    For guests that want a dark beer: Leffe Brown
    For guests that want a fruit beer: Wild Blue
    For guests that usually drink light lagers but want a "premium" beer tonight: Busch Signature Copper Lager
    For guests that want to try something from a "different" country: Bodington's
    For guests that want something seasonal: Spaten Oktoberfest
    For guests that want something more traditional: Budweisers
    For guests that want to just pound light beers: Natty Light
    For guests that want a special occasion brew: Bourbon County Brand Stout
  18. JohnnyMc

Yeah I've been using that for years now. Awesome site. And my post was sarcastic.......
  19. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Advocate (565) Ohio Jan 8, 2014

[​IMG] Picked up some the other night in the name of science (#marketresearch) $7 for 6 tall boys. If you rate it objectively, I would say 3-3.25 as style. If you rate it based on the label and price point, I would say 3.75-4 overall. Honestly, it is probably the best AB product they have made themselves. I drank all 16 oz willfully for what it's worth.
    markdrinksbeer likes this.
  20. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Advocate (565) Ohio Jan 8, 2014

Sorry, a typed tall boys. They were in fact pounders
  21. zsk

zsk Aficionado (190) Ohio Jan 13, 2006

Harnkus...You got it!
  22. After all these years of being away from it, I have to admit that, this one finally has me AB curious.
  23. But the press release clearly said "the first and only copper lager in the category". Anheuser-Busch wouldn't lie to me.
    mmars010 and 5thOhio like this.
  24. The other beers named by "JackHorzempa " aren't in the "value" category (to use AB's terminology) - aka "below premium" "economy" "popular-priced". They're all considered "Premium" or even "Above/Super Premium" category brands.
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  25. Givemebeer

Givemebeer Savant (430) Vermont Apr 6, 2013

I want them to rewrite this and try not to use the word signature. That would be a challenge.
  26. Mongrel

Mongrel Savant (405) Maryland Feb 14, 2013

Or "slightly"
  27. I thought those were the same thing - are the 24ozers the tallboys? p.s. it's not beer, but there's an AB hard cider coming soon that's actually really good. Again - it's not beer. Probably why it's good.
  28. I'm down. All those beers have a time and place.
  29. jackndan

jackndan Advocate (565) Illinois Feb 25, 2002

If I see this on the way to the train, I'll give it a try.
  30. That's the way it was originally when Schlitz came out with the first 24 oz. cans in the 1950s.

[​IMG]
  31. Harnkus

Harnkus Savant (360) New York Oct 31, 2013

I don't see this as craft pseudo one bit. Further as someone who doesn't give a fuck I don't give a fuck wjSt
    if you think that is true then you should pay more attention to where the growth is in the beer market. Busch will never go up against craft. It's going up against a trend in macro lagers.
  32. I'm never in that place at that time.
    Jay_Ulreich and cultclassic89 like this.
  33. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (500) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

Yep, seen the billboards here and there 'round NE Ohio.
  34. Blueribbon666

BIG fan of the 60's formula Schlitz gusto it takes some digging to find these great tall boy's the original, but worth the hunt.
  35. Blueribbon666

LMAO at slightly-more-special occasion...when is that, exactly? After the sinus infection clears up?? I'm reminded of the Bonnie Situation from Pulp Fiction ala "Bonnie buys shit. I buy the good stuff because I wanna taste it.";)
  36. I know Miller is putting one out, Smith and Forge or something. The packaging looks really cool, I'll say that. Is that what you're talking about or is there another?
  37. I think you missed my point.
  38. JohnnyMc

Sorry man I was being sarcastic. Not interested in this beer. Not excited.
  39. pep

pep Savant (350) Pennsylvania Jun 3, 2012

um. why is this not in PA? Busch is one of my go to "garbage" beer and to me is better than BUD or PBR
  40. mmars010

mmars010 Aficionado (200) Virginia Aug 29, 2012

It is bad enough they release their first new brew in 15 years...it is not good...and then they tell me when to drink it.