Business trip to Brussels...

Discussion in 'Belgium' started by SJL, Jun 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SJL

SJL Initiate (0) Dec 1, 2010 New Jersey

Hello fellow BAs,

I will be in Brussels in a couple of weeks for business and will unfortunately only have Sunday for personal time. To my dismay, it seems as though many if not all of the breweries are closed on Sundays (Cantillon especially, FML...). When researching where to go I was overwhelmed by the amount of information and places to visit. I would be gratefull if anyone would be willing to give me their opinion as to where they think are the must visit places considering my small window of time.

Thanks in advance,
    SJL

2. wesbray

wesbray Initiate (0) Feb 29, 2012 Canada (AB)

Are you staying near Grand Place?

Moeder Lambic is open from 11am-1am, and has an incredible selection of beers, including various Cantillon bottles, as well as on draft.

A La Becasse for the atmosphere and central location. Also opens at 11am on Sundays.

A La Mort Subite for atmosphere, history and their tasty (if a little lacking compared to other examples) Oude Gueuze.

Delirium opens at 10am, and if you get there early enough you should avoid the crowds. A decent selection but the atmosphere can be a little frat in the evening.

3. SJL

First time in Brussels so not 100% sure. I am staying at the Rocco Forte Hotel Amigo at Rue De Lamigo. I think so...

Appreciate the information regardless.

Cheers.

4. wesbray

You are literally a few steps from Grand Place. Looked like a very nice hotel from the outside (we frequented the bakery opposite, Maison Dandoy, for their waffles. Highly recommended!). You are very near all the locations I mentioned so you should be able to pack them all in.

5. SJL

Great, thanks again.

6. Paccamacca

Paccamacca Pooh-Bah (1,562) Sep 15, 2012 California
    Pooh-Bah Trader

I'm actually in Brussels at the moment. I can thoroughly recommend Moeder Lambic, although they may be out of Fou Foune as the waiter told us we'd just bought the last bottle.

If it's Cantillon you're after, I would check out this place, one block from the Grande Place:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g188644-d1443516-Reviews-Nuetnigenough-Brussels.html

The food is good and they have a pretty sexy beer list:

[​IMG]

While not super cheap, the Lou Pepes etc were still 5-6 Euros cheaper than at Moeder.

7. wesbray

Agreed, had a great three course dinner here (I recommend the Rabbit a la Cantillon Gueuze).

Paccamacca likes this.
  8. Paccamacca

Paccamacca Pooh-Bah (1,562) Sep 15, 2012 California
    Pooh-Bah Trader

Haha, exactly what I ordered- really tasty.

wesbray likes this.
  9. distantmantra

distantmantra Pooh-Bah (2,954) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Pooh-Bah Trader

Don't forget the Neut te Woste. Sour white plum lambic made especially for them by Alvinne. Soooo good.

Paccamacca likes this.
  10. djhowell

djhowell Pundit (893) Apr 1, 2009 Wisconsin

We were in Belgium for 10 days and we ate at Nuetnigenough three times. That place is amazing.

wesbray likes this.
  11. SJL

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Looking forward to my trip.

12. wesbray

Let us know how it goes :slight_smile:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.