1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Buying a Mash Tun

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Bsak1985, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Bsak1985

Bsak1985 Aspirant (40) Louisiana Dec 31, 2012

I'm looking to purchase or build a mash tun to do all grain. I make 5 gallon batches, and was looking for some input on what works best. I've seen the round yellow igloo coolers used, and my friend has a rectangular ice chest with a mesh filter that I'll borrow. Just looking to see what everyone thinks. Thanks.
  2. VikeMan

VikeMan Advocate (740) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

I have used round coolers and rectangular. Either can work as well as the other, if you batch sparge. I prefer the rectangular one I'm using now, a Coleman Xtreme, because of its large size. I built it pretty much according to these directions...

http://brewing.lustreking.com/gear/mashtun.html
    emmur0 likes this.
  3. The round yellow igloos have the best insulation of the mass-marketed coolers, but borrowing a bazooka screen sounds pretty ghetto : )

I've brewed a few 5 gal batches in my 10 gal Rubbermaid that were less than ideal because the thermometer did not cover and heat loss was substantial.
  4. Ejayz

Ejayz Savant (270) Iowa May 15, 2011

I just got done building one using the exact plans VikeMan posted the whole protect took 15 minutes to complete. I am using a coleman xtreme as well because they say the heat loss is usually less than 2 degrees per hour. I also love that the Xtreme coolers have a channel in the bottom by the spicket this makes them ideal for mashing with a bazooka screen. I got a 70 qt one at Wally world for 39.99 I went bigger because someday I want to be able to do 10 gallons vs 5. I know they make a 50 qt as well and this would work better for 5 gallons but I have not seen one on store shelves anywhere in my area.
  5. inchrisin

inchrisin Savant (425) Indiana Sep 25, 2008

The link that Vikeman provided above is the style I use. I've got a 15 gal rectangle cooler that I use for mashing, and on an off day, I use as a regular cooler. I perheat my mashtun with water that's a touch too hot for strike water. I let it sit until I hit 165ish and I dough in. I only lose about 1 degree over a 60 minute mash. Maybe 2F with 1/2 batches.
  6. HerbMeowing

HerbMeowing Savant (320) Virginia Nov 10, 2010

Round cooler conversion...
    http://members.shaw.ca/Fly_Guy/mlt.htm

All my parts (mostly) came from Lowe's.

Only trouble was finding the 5/8” stainless steel fender washer.
    Available @ www.fastenal.com/
  7. Ilanko

Ilanko Aficionado (180) New York Aug 3, 2012

The best thing about the round one is the option to mash with nylon bag inside the Mash Tun. This way you will get clean process and efficient mashing. You can lay off a collapsible steamer on the bottom of the mash tun.
  8. Bsak1985

Bsak1985 Aspirant (40) Louisiana Dec 31, 2012

Thanks for all the feedback. There's nothing like the helpfulness of homebrewers. I'm thinking I'll give the round cooler design, just to try something new. Thanks everyone.