1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Buying Beer in Seattle

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by chelodina1, Mar 2, 2012.

1. chelodina1

chelodina1 Disciple (60) New Jersey Jan 21, 2010

My wife is going to Seattle for business and has agreed to buy me a few beers while she's there. I'm on the east coast and would really like to try some bottled Washington beers. So I have two questions: 1) Anybody have any suggestions on local beers I should have her look for? (I'm into DIPAs and Impy Stouts) 2.) She's staying near the convention center...is there a good shop in that neighborhood? Thanks in advance for the help.

Scott
  2. honkduh

honkduh Savant (315) Oregon Jun 2, 2011

Pike XXXXX stout and Elysian Dragonstooth stout should be the eastiest to find in that area since both breweries are near there. Most stores carry their stuff.
  3. I would have her go to the downtown Whole Foods, their staff is more friendly than most bottleshops in the area to beer buying newbies. Ask for Pliney(if they have it, it's in the back), FW Double Jack, Green Flash Imp IPA are two good DIPAs, most of the great WA DIPAs aren't bottled. Imperial Stouts will be harder to find; FW 15th(barrel aged blend), maybe Diftwood Singularity will be there?
  4. honkduh

None of those are Washington beers.
  5. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,100) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

Not only that, both Green flash and double jack are widely available on the East Coast now.

The Whole Foods recommendation is a pretty good one. I can't think of any other good beer stores near the convention center (I typically shop north of town, and so really don't know the downtown area all that well in terms of beer stores). I would also recommend the Maritime and Boundary Bay DIPA's in terms of Washington DIPA's. The Wildcat regular IPA from Snoqualmie is pretty tasty, as is the regular Boundary Bay IPA (and lot easier to find than their DIPA).

If the OP's wife can make it up to Bottleworks, the staff there is pretty knowledgeable and helpful, and they can probably make some recommendations for her as well.
  6. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,015) Washington Sep 18, 2010

I work in the office tower connected to the convention center, 7th & Pike. There's not much right in this area, although I usually make a weekly trek down to the Westlake Whole Foods (about a 10-minute walk) to see what's in. Fremont Brewing, Elysian, Two Beers, Snoqualmie, Old Schoolhouse, Boundary Bay, Hale's, Pike, American Brewing, Lazy Boy... there are about 150 breweries in Washington, not sure what's represented @ that particular store. If he's there, the beer guy there (Ryan) can probably give your wife some good recommendations. I can't think of anywhere else within walking distance.

It's changing, but for some reason not many imperial stouts come out of the local beer scene. A few DIPAs and a lot more regular IPAs.
  7. I should of put a period or semi-colon there. Those are two great DIPAs that I wasn't sure made it to the east coast, my second thought being that most of the DIPAs from Washington that I like aren't bottled(or at least bottles available in Seattle), Fremont The Brother, Black Raven Wisdom Seeker, Elysian Hubris Imperial IPA.
  8. honkduh

Speaking of wisdom seeker 22oz bottles go on sale tomorrow at black raven.
    doughanson78 likes this.
  9. Both awesome recommendations.
  10. To bad I'll be busy moving tomorrow! :(
  11. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,100) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

Elysian is increasingly availabe out here as well. Just had a glass of the idiot sauvin last week and thought it pretty tasty.
  12. draheim

I just sent a bottle of Idiot Sauvin to a Virginia BA as a trade extra (I thought it was good as well), wasn't sure Elysian made it that far east although the question did cross my mind before I taped up the box... I hope that's not one he could've picked up locally. Oh well.
  13. Snoqualmie's 14th anniversary beer is an imperial stout, and it's quite good. I've seen it all over the place, so I would guess Whole Foods and other Seattle shops have it.
    doughanson78 likes this.
  14. draheim

Agree, it's quite good. And I think I've seen it @ WF Westlake.
  15. honkduh

Old Schoolhouse brewers reserve imperial stout is also quite good and available at whole foods
  16. NWer

NWer Advocate (660) Washington Mar 10, 2009

Pear market at Pike Place Market has a very decent selection. Ask for Phil the beer buyer. Very knowledgeable and helpful.
  17. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 24, 2007

22s of Boundary Bay Oatmeal Stout should be available around Seattle. It clocks in at 9% (+, sometimes). Also look for the Breakaway IPA and Caboose Stout from American Brewing. Both should be easily available around town.
  18. draheim

Just had my first Breakaway the other night, thought it was a very solid offering. Surprised by the relatively low average rating (83) - maybe there's some batch variability?
  19. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 24, 2007

I just took a quick look at the reviews. We should probably take the first 2 reviews with a grain of salt, because that's when Skip was brewing at Baron's facility, before he had his brewery open. Of the other 12 reviews most have a score around 4 (which for me, equals very good), there was 1 review with a 1-point-something, which may have been a bad bottle (it happens) and one with a 2-point-something, where the guy just didn't like the beer (which also happens). Skip used to brew at Boundary Bay and is still very beloved here in Bellingham, so the bottles roll off the shelves quickly and when it's on tap it's not uncommon for it to be a 1-night beer. BTW, American is having their 1 Year Anniversary party tomorrow. If anyone feels like going to Edmonds, I highly recommend visiting. They'll have beer, music, food and beer. Here's their site: http://www.americanbrewing.com/ .
  20. chelodina1

chelodina1 Disciple (60) New Jersey Jan 21, 2010

Wow!! Thanks to everone for all the advice. I'll make her a shopping list based on your recommendations. Cheers!
  21. I haven't been impressed with the couple offerings I've had from Snoqualmie, but the 14th Anniversary was very good. Surprised me.
  22. Old Schoolhouse Imperial IPA and Hale's Supergoose are tasty. Both available in 22 oz. bottle.
  23. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

I work at whole foods and we sell bottles from fremont brewing, have her pick up a bottle of interurban ipa, universal pale, and i think we still have a few bottles of bourbon barrel aged abominable winter ale left in the back....
  24. For 19.99 at Whole Foods , is Singularity something worth picking up? What's a good midwest comparison? I'm in town for the week for work, so considering picking a few things up. May also head to the Bottleworks release this Sat.
  25. podunkparte

podunkparte Initiate (0) Washington Nov 14, 2009

From what I've heard, Singularity is probably not worth the really high price tag. I would pass and get 2 bottle of something else for the money.
  26. Smurf2055

Smurf2055 Savant (485) Washington Nov 12, 2011

It's expensive because it's "imported". Don't think it's worth it. It's good, but not $20 good.
  27. kevwcamp

kevwcamp Savant (310) Washington May 13, 2010

I really like Singularity, but the price point is hard to swallow. I'm having trouble thinking of a Midwest beer that is similar. It has a similar heat to BCS but not nearly as bourbon barrel forward as BCS although the bourbon aromas/flavors are definitely present. I expect it will cellar quite well.
  28. sukwonee

sukwonee Advocate (540) Washington Dec 13, 2011

Try to obtain Bourbon barrel Abominable from Fremont Brewing. It's expensive but amazing. Singularity, Fat Tug, and Old cellar dweller are great choice. Should be available at Whole Foods. They should also have Sucaba, HotD Adam, Fred, etc.