1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Buying bottles at Belgian Brewers

Discussion in 'Benelux' started by 4thelvofbeer, Oct 30, 2012.

1. 4thelvofbeer

4thelvofbeer Member

Hi, seems to be a lot of knowledge on here about Belgium, in addition to those who live in the great Belgian cities! Few questions I had: are you able to buy bottles at Cantillion, 3 Fonteinen, and Fantome? I have been to Belgium quite a few times, but am just beginning to appreciate the lambics and guezes and some of the other really nice beers from these brewers......planning on visiting early next year. Any info would be greatly appreciated....

Thanks,
    Rich
  2. Dennoman

Dennoman Member

You are. They all have brewery shops. Especially Cantillon is like a factory.
  3. 4thelvofbeer

4thelvofbeer Member

Very nice....thanks for the info. Which of the three is best in your opinion?
  4. tendermorsel

tendermorsel Member

You can definately buy beer to drink at Cantillon or to go. I love drinking at the brewery. It's super cheap and I like the ambiance. Just hanging out and shooting the shit with other people coming in for a tour or to grab a beer is great. The selection varies based on what was bottled recently and they only have the "regular" offerings available for purchase. They do a hand blended Faro from time to time which is very unique. No Blueberry or Cloudberry lambics:(. They will sell bottles to go too. I walked out with 9 bottles when I was there last month.

I have never beer to DF or Fantome so I cannot comment on bottle sales there.
  5. Dennoman

Dennoman Member

I tend to prefer Drie Fonteinen but I'm fairly new to the world of lambics and blends. Variety-wise you can't beat Cantillon, they're always selling at least 5-6 different beers. I would also consider Tilquin btw, but only if you have a car. Pierre is the newest geuze blender in our country and he's always happy to give extensive tours to weary travelers :D
  6. 4thelvofbeer

4thelvofbeer Member

Great info. Yes, we will have a car...plan on being there for a few days, so going to all the popular spots...good info on Tilquin...will check it out.

Thanks again, anything else I need to visit?

Thanks again,
    Rich
  7. tendermorsel

tendermorsel Member

De Heren Van Leidenkerke is one of my all time favorite spots somewhat near Brussels:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2800/view=beerfly

De Bistronoom is another great spot but kinda far from Brussels. It's a 10-15 train ride from Brugge if you are heading there.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/26992/view=beerfly

Moder Lambic Fountains is great place for Lambic within the city limits of Brussels

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/21739

8. 4thelvofbeer

4thelvofbeer Member

Thanks TM!!
  9. CaptainPiret

CaptainPiret Member

You can buy directly from Fantome, but I think he's only open on Saturdays and it's quite a trek out there. His selection also varies depending on the time of year. I went in late spring and he only had the Printemps and a Magic Ghost, both on tap and in the bottle.