1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Buying Bulk Crushed Grains

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by psnydez86, Jan 25, 2013.

1. I know that the shelf life of crushed grains have been a topic on here before and I had a couple questions. I found a 50lb sack of crushed 2row base malt online for 37 bucks and I can't help but want to buy it. I obviously don't have a mill yet and will have one eventually but it isn't in the cards right now. If I buy this bulk base malt crushed would vacuum sealing 5-10lb bags be my best route to long term storage? MY basement is nice and cool right now(55f ish) and should remain so for a few more months at least. I should be able to use up this 50lb sack in about 3 or 4 months I would imagine and wondered if getting the base malt pre crushed is gonna give me noticeable lack of malt flavor/aroma when it gets a few months old.??

Cheers! Pat
  2. You should be just fine if you use your grains in a few months. Packaging them in vacuum sealed bags will be ‘good’ but I suspect that it is overkill.

Below is what pweis909 posted recently:

“The last time I answered it (about two weeks ago) I quoted this statement from the Spec Sheet from Briess malting, so this is coming from a beer products professional and not some anonymous dude with a bird avatar:

STORAGE AND SHELF LIFE

Store in a temperate, low humidity, pest free environment at temperatures of <90 ºF. Improperly stored malts are prone to loss of freshness and flavor. Whole kernel diastatic and preground malts are best when used within 6 months from date of manufacture. Whole kernel roasted malts may begin experiencing a slight flavor loss after 18 months.

EDIT: FWIW, I have brewed several batches with 6 month old grains and not found it detrimental.”

Cheers!
  3. Thanks for the info Jack!! Was your 6 month old grain pre crushed or whole kernal? I know whole kernal will store a lot better than crushed but I think as long as I use up the pre crushed base malt in a few months I shouldn't notice any defects?
  4. That sentence was still part of the quote from pweis909 (Peter). Hopefully he will read your thread and clarify whether his 6 month old grains were pre-crushed or not.

Cheers!

Jack
  5. 10 4 jack.
  6. inchrisin

inchrisin Savant (425) Indiana Sep 25, 2008

It seems like whenever I buy a bag of grain I always do a 1070+ beer. Then I have about half a bag of grain to deal with. :)
  7. I've got a Cali Common, Robust Porter, American Amber, and of course Vikeman's Averagely IPA in my brewing pipeline so I think I should be able to finish the grain off in a couple months hopefully.
  8. inchrisin

inchrisin Savant (425) Indiana Sep 25, 2008

You've got your work cut out for you.
  9. HerbMeowing

HerbMeowing Savant (320) Virginia Nov 10, 2010

I'd be disinclined to sealing bags of pre-crushed grains at room temperature then storing in a 55-ish environment b/c this will invite condensation.

More better to acclimate the grains to 55-ish before sealing or seal and store at 'upstairs' room temperature.