1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Buying them out

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by geocool, Feb 15, 2013.

1. JoeBloe

JoeBloe Savant (370) New York Nov 16, 2007

I wish my local place was a little more conscientious when it comes to selling limited release stuff - having just missed out on Bourbon County Cherry Rye one of the clerks tells me that the same two guys have been coming in together and buying out the limited release stuff the day the shipment arrives - including what they have 'in the back' -

2. Blanchards in Marshfield has some, picked it up last night . Another solid offering.

3. themind

themind Savant (440) New Jersey Mar 14, 2011

I would have bought a four maybe two. It's this kind of stuff that shows peoples real colors...all about themselves. Just like all the beer hoarders on this, quit bragging, drink it or share it otherwise go away! Just my opinion.

seakayak and GennyCreamAle like this.
  4. Flashy

Flashy Advocate (535) Vermont Oct 22, 2003

"First come, first served." Anything beyond that is you being nice. Unless you were taking it and wasting it, which of course you weren't.

5. Flashy

maybe if everybody buys how much ever they want- the company will decide to expand, hire more people, and make enough beer for everyone. It could have began in that store on that day.

RBassSFHOPit2ME likes this.
  6. themind

I doubt that a brewery making Very good profits will expand and take on massive dept in this economy.

jtdolla911 likes this.
  7. Which shop is this? You should have told the guy to piss off and not put it all on the shelf then. It's also not like it was a very sought after beer.

8. JrGtr

JrGtr Savant (365) Massachusetts Apr 13, 2006

I don't know if the whole thing falls under the name of douchery, but...
    I personally won't take everything that have in most cases.
    If this case, i would have grabbed 2, 4-packs. If there was 2 on the shelf, I'd take one. If there was one lonely pack remaning, I wouldn;t have any problem grabbing it.
    Hop Union is a very desirable beer these days, and most places sellout very quickly after it gets in.
    Private Rye is a seasonal, so it is somewhat limited. It is very good though. I have a growler here that I got the other day at the brewery.

9. CORKSCREWFISH

CORKSCREWFISH Savant (325) Illinois Apr 22, 2011

Have to agree completely.Iv'e seen threads on this subject that went way opposite end of the spectrum. Interesting considering the guy did say no problem "just sayin" after he made the ccomment.I've seen extensive talk of the ole "beer karma" deal in these threads to a somewhat nauseating degree actually. Not sure where the karma guys are at? Odd.

10. CORKSCREWFISH

CORKSCREWFISH Savant (325) Illinois Apr 22, 2011

Ummm.............its California!

11. ESeab

ESeab Advocate (505) New Jersey Jan 3, 2013

If there is no limit, then there is no reason you shouldn't buy it all if you want to. You also gave plenty of time for anyone that buys from that shop to buy what they wanted. I had a similar situation that I might catch a beating for on here but tough shit, here it goes...

A month ago my friend stopped by a shop that had a case of bourbon county coffee. He bought three bottles, one for him, me, and another friend. All week I thought, "why did I only get one?" About a week and a half later I called the store and they said they still had some left. When I arrived I saw six bottles left. I make very very little money, but I bought them all, along with two Big Johns. I treated myself to something I know I'd like, gave a bottle to a friend in Philly, one to a Manager that works at our sister store/restaurant, and one to my brother. I told my friend to keep the bottle he got me leaving me with three all to myself, one to open now (which I shared with said friend) and two to save.

In the end maybe it was a dick move to buy them all, but I did share. There were two clerks and a manager working that day and they didn't even know what BCBCS was. There was no bottle limit and they thought I was crazy buying all 6. When I was there I also saw two cases of Terrapin Wake n' Bake. I called three weeks later to see if they still had it and the girl who answered the phone had no idea what I was talking about. I said, "No, look up 'Terrapin'." I finally overheard her ask the person next to her if they have any and he said, "No, I don't even know what that is." A week later the same friend that bought the BCBCS in the first place stopped by and there was a case and a half of Wake n Bake just sitting there.

So in this case this store has great beer without any employee really knowing this industry. Tons and tons of stuff sits on the shelves and still is if you want to go get some because know one in that town buys craft apparently. Lets just put it this way, after I bought the bottles (there faces were very happy) the guys started talking with me and one said, "I really think you should try this stuff out." He then walked me to a case stack of Batch 19.

JimmyW likes this.
  12. GennyCreamAle

GennyCreamAle Initiate (0) New York Feb 25, 2009

Based on these types of threads and my personal experiences I have resigned myself to the fact that the 'I got there first, the store let me buy it all' attitude apparently is the prevailing mentality.

seakayak likes this.
  13. The "Beer News" and regional forums here on BA, and the various beer/brewing industry news websites like BeerPulse and Brewbound, are weekly full of stories about breweries expanding capacity, buying new, larger brewhouses, moving/building new breweries, etc.

It's hard to think of a well-known craft brewery that hasn't invested in some form of expansion in the last few years.

teal likes this.
  14. The guy was a real asshat if you ask me !!

15. Focusf111

Focusf111 Savant (340) Vermont Jun 21, 2012

I try not to buy out the place out of courtesy, but when it comes to special releases and hard to find bottle....well someones got to buy the last one right? >;) I always try to share the beers I find with good friends anyway.

jtdolla911 likes this.
  16. themind

And an attitude I despise. There are a lot of beer hoarding know it all's here but also some very cool people. It just takes time to figure out who is who.

seakayak and GennyCreamAle like this.
  17. themind

Sure " some type of expansion" but I don't see Three Floyds or Surly coming to NJ. Now that would be a treat.

jtdolla911 likes this.
  18. CityofBals

CityofBals Initiate (0) Illinois Sep 12, 2012

If it's hard to get, there should be a limit imposed assuming the shop cares about repeat customers. If they haven't imposed limits on beer, then they have no reason to complain when they love all of their product.

19. Horbar

Horbar Advocate (555) Rhode Island Feb 24, 2012

If you love it, then you better put a limit on it,

corby112 and Focusf111 like this.
  20. Focusf111

Focusf111 Savant (340) Vermont Jun 21, 2012

This.

21. kdb150

kdb150 Savant (490) Pennsylvania Mar 8, 2012

I'm kicking myself for leaving that last bottle of Meantime Naval College Old Porter on the shelf. They even tried to get me to buy it on my way out.

22. crosamich

crosamich Savant (260) Florida Nov 28, 2007

Seriously? So now only "beer geeks" should have access to certain beers? How damn elitist can you get?

teal likes this.
  23. So if you bought the first four 4-pks on day one it would've been okay, but not cool since it was the last four? It's the same thing..."frowned upon in beer circles;" there are many people, especially on this site, that should read that sentence aloud and reflect on how ridiculous they get about beer. You should've told that dude to get over himself.

teal, JimmyW, Andygirl and 2 others like this.
  24. How are you to know they don't have more in the back? Snatch it up.

regularjohn likes this.
  25. Drew26

Drew26 Savant (330) Wisconsin Nov 2, 2012

Well said!

26. Probably best to leave one of the packs for someone else but its hardly a deal breaker and doesn't warrant an extreme opinion on either side of the fence. Sounds to me like the the cash register guy was just making conversation though I obviously wasn't there at the time. And it seems like the OP is the one making the big deal.

27. JoeBloe

JoeBloe Savant (370) New York Nov 16, 2007

** so 2 hours after I posted this I had to take a 40 minute drive up north and made a random stop in a beer and bev distributor that was on the way - and there it was !! - the Cherry Rye!! - one bottle on the shelf (next to a dozen Coffee) - I asked the guy at the register if he had any more and he pointed at one more on the counter -
    along with some 4pks of BCBS - he said they got a case or two a while ago and these were the last two bottles -
    amazing!

JimmyW likes this.
  28. It was on the shelf. They sell beer, you bought beer. If he didn't want to sell out, he should have held some back to replenish the shelf.

Droogins likes this.
  29. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (620) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

I would have tipped the guy with one of those beers and said, "Giving a beer to a complete stranger is considered good karma in beer circles."

robwestcott likes this.
  30. I'll bet you five bucks the guy is a BA

31. it was on the shelf, right ? not behind the counter, right ?

buy however much you want.

32. maybe, but i'll bet you ten bucks, he's a dick.

FEUO, RStang13, teal and 1 other person like this.
  33. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (620) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

I think the guy just doesn't like to stock shelves.

Bluecane likes this.
  34. Flashy

That's how you get out of a bad economy (if we ever do with this joker in office). Companies do well, have a product people want to buy. People buy it, you hire more. The trucking company needs to hire to keep up with deliveries to you. The truck builder hires people to build more trucks. The truck drivers hire people to mow their lawn because they are to busy working. The people mowing lawns go out to dinner. The restaurant hires another waiter....

creepinjeeper and teal like this.
  35. Aaron58

Aaron58 Savant (270) Massachusetts Dec 16, 2007

IS there any chance that he was saying it sort of tongue in cheek? Like just kidding around with you?

36. themind

The hard part is expanding and maintaining the quality of the product. Secondly the product say Heady Topper for example would possibly be passed up on if it was wide spread available in surplus. At their current production amount people are selling they're children to get it. I am not a business major or anything, just an opinion.

37. Flashy

The German and English brewers have been making great products on a large scale for centuries.

38. themind

We were talking about smaller breweries expanding, not who already is doing it.

39. Who cares. we are all just "renting" beer anyways. If they cared about getting completely "bought out" they would hold a few back for a later date. Not like you were stealing it. sheesh that guy needs to get over himself and this idea of bad beer karma. Not like you bought out the store of bread and milk during a natural disaster.

40. My local store was treating Hopslam like it was God's piss. The mgr said to me he suspected one guy was sending his entire construction crew in one by one to wipe him out. What a paranoid prick. If it was something that was truly worthy of generating bad karma, they would have never put it on the shelf. I'm not sure who pisses me off more the elitist bastards who run these stores or you sir. Mr. Wipeout.