1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Buying them out

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by geocool, Feb 15, 2013.

1. JimmyW

JimmyW Savant (280) Illinois Feb 17, 2011

I found out a store had 11 bottles of Bourbon County Coffee Stout sitting on the shelf. I was there in 20 minutes only to find none on the shelf. Asked the clerk about it. 11 bottles of Bourbon County Coffee Stout on the shelf.
    All of which were sold to 1 guy. 10 minutes before I arrived. While there I watched 2 more guys come in for a bottle and left immediately disappointed. Oh well. What'cha gonna do? Eventually I was able to find some and I'm happy camper for it.

2. JimmyW

JimmyW Savant (280) Illinois Feb 17, 2011

Nice!!!!!!!!! Must be that "good beer karma!"

JoeBloe likes this.
  3. I don't think the clerk was being a douche, he was probably just thinking aloud and then realized it's not good for business and did the right thing and shut his mouth and made the sale.

He might have seen the same type of thing happen to rarer beers, or I remember having trouble getting my hands on Hoponius Union for a while - for all I know someone was buying it all out the minute it hit the shelves. Now I can find it pretty regularly in many locations so I don't know if they upped production or people stopped hoarding it.

But, if its on the shelf its fair game. You're not psychic so its unfair to presume you know that someone will be looking for that beer before more comes in.

4. ChefBergo

ChefBergo Initiate (0) Illinois Nov 9, 2011

If it's on the shelf any beer is fair game, while it is a kind gesture to leave some for the rest of group to purchase if the store wanted to limit the amount any one person can purchase they should've either put up a sign limiting it to one or kept it behind the counter.

5. mblk6062

mblk6062 Zealot (95) Texas Aug 11, 2012

My rule is this: If it's the last one, too bad, so sad, it's going home with me. If it's not the last one, and I know it is still going to be available, I'll get more than one. If it's not the last one, and I know it's going to be hard to get more, I'll leave one or two. Works fine for my conscience anyway!

6. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (550) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

Douchey comment from the clerk..."No I'll sell it to you, I'm just sayin'" Whatever, nice backhanded comment even though you'll sell it, suddenly your inner eagle scout's gotta lay down some moral statement about purchasing it all? Take out your crayon and post a sign, register jockey, oh wiseman of beerdom etiqutte.:rolleyes:

7. Revenant

Revenant Savant (350) Minnesota Aug 8, 2012

Beer Karma.

8. Jack's Abby is still relatively small and sells out really quickly. Their seasonals are not brewed for very long, such as Copper Legend, which came in one big shipment. I'm not saying you shouldn't be able to buy 4 four packs, but as a small brewery, maybe the clerk was just trying to help spread the word about the brewery? That's just my guess and maybe the guy thought he would help the brewery if more people could have a chance to buy it. Now I'm going to drink one from the four pack I got the other day. Where was this store, if you don't mind.

9. if it's on the shelf and you have cash it's yours. anyone who says otherwise is a liar.

bozodogbreath likes this.
  10. Or if it's on the shelf and there's no sign posted indicating a limit. I have to drive slightly over an hour from my home to Tucson and generally go only once or twice a month so I have to use "beer strategery" to get a good diverse selection of beers I like to drink since my local Safeway only has SN, SA, Arrogant Bastard and a couple of others that I like. I will generally buy two sixers or four packs max of any beer that I know is highly sought after because 1. I like other different styles and don't want to over commit to one 2. I want to leave something for the other peeps because we don't get pallets full of good beer like they do in other places. We're the only state in the West that gets Bell's for some strange reason so I feel damn fortunate about that!

11. If I like that shit, want that shit, and drink that shit then I reserve the right to as much as possible that I can attain.
    With that being said, it is all about what is within reason.
    I don't ever buy more than 2 bombers of something or 2 six packs. I'm trying to up my ticks and expand my taste buds.

12. Im drinking one right now, and now I can't say that I blame you. This shit is delicious

13. Thanks, everyone. I expected to take a bit of a beating in this thread, but you let me off easy.
    For those of you who were worried, I stopped in again today and never fear, the store's shelf has been restocked with more Private Rye. I know I'm relieved.

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  14. Did you buy them out again?

FEUO and bryanole27 like this.
  15. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (380) New York Jul 16, 2011

If it were on the shelf for several weeks, I'd buy them out w/o any qualms. If it was a recent release (under 2 weeks), I'd personally leave some behind for others... maybe buy them out on my next run if it's still there. I like giving the other beer lovers w/ busy schedules a fair chance to get theirs.

16. JMS1512

JMS1512 Advocate (670) New Jersey Feb 18, 2013

Funny and clever.

17. Maybe someone else's karma sent you there to but them out before they made a bad decision. This clerk was not a deep enough thinker!

18. It will probably make you feel better if you buy out a store to send
    the last of it to me private message me for my contact information LOL

19. Revenant

Revenant Savant (350) Minnesota Aug 8, 2012

I call bullshit. I think you just made this story up to get a reaction from BA and hopefully ease your guilty conscience or massage your beer hoarding ego. NO WAY would a guy at a register act that douchey.

20. Private Rye is everywhere. It's not a crazy limited beer lol.

Im hoping the obsessed beer hoarders send themselves into bankruptcy so let them buy everything. If you want run around all day buying up 1 bottle limits of KBS go ahead. You already look like an idiot to everyone else.

Revenant likes this.
  21. I recall this chase at the record store with stupidly rare stuff and the like. On the order sheet it just said in no uncertain terms. 1 copy per store, or 5 copies per store. So I figure, if they aren't alerting the customer with signage saying how many the limit is, or more succinctly: 1 per. Fair game.

22. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

I buy what I can consume, give or take a year.

Goat_Warrior likes this.
  23. I would have bought them out if there was no limit. who cares? First come, first serve.

24. Beats me if there's some sort of Illuminati BA rule about this but I actually kind of don't buy someone out with multiples unless some of it is going to someone else, like I did when I bought 4 Bolt Cutters back in November at a Whole Foods and handed two over to someone else on the site. But oddly enough I do kind of feel bad if there's two sixes or four packs or bombers left of something and I don't leave the other. Hell with it though, if you wanted it you wanted it. Your dime.

25. bozodogbreath

bozodogbreath Savant (450) Indiana Oct 19, 2006

I've said it before, "Beer is food." If I am not expected to leave the last box of Kleenex on the shelf so some sniveling beer geek who just left the liquor store without his entitlement has something to soak up his tears, why am I expected to leave him a 4 pack of brand X? Free market rules!

26. Sure you can... grind that shit up ad some wine and pediococcus a little cure #2 and bam Rodenbach with intestines.