1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

BVDL question (not value related)

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by jshusc, May 2, 2014.

1. jshusc

jshusc Savant (490) South Carolina Aug 16, 2013

Serious question...how f'n good is BVDL? Regular DL is terrible IMO (and that is all it is), but it seems to be polarizing in that some love it and some (like me) hate it. How can barrel aging and addition of vanilla make it this good? I'm more curious than skeptical.
  2. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (845) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

It's really, really, really good. Dark Lord is one of these base beers that are just not great at all on its own, but barrel-aging somehow transforms it into a great beer, and in the case of BVDL, a world-beater.
    mrkdwrds and tacosandbeer like this.
  3. jshusc

Interesting. Honestly, I could see the vanilla pulling away from the soysauceness of DL and improving it.
  4. tacosandbeer

tacosandbeer Savant (420) Colorado Sep 24, 2010

I used to ask myself that question because I don't care for regular DL. At all. I give them away whenever they show up in a box. But BVDL...forget about it. Wish I had an endless supply of it.

I wonder the same thing. It's ridiculous how little they have to do with one another.
    mrkdwrds likes this.
  5. founder26

founder26 Savant (450) Michigan Sep 9, 2009

Bvdl is way too sweet for me, after having over 12ozes poured at the fest last week I'm glad I never have to trade for it.
  6. gueuzedreg

gueuzedreg Advocate (505) Colorado Jan 18, 2013

Everything here is what I would state as well. However, I would like to try what people are saying is a better vintage for reg Dark Lord. But ya, the vanilla takes the soy out completely; I have found that the bourbon dark lord didn't help much, but BVDL is a diff animal
  7. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Savant (445) Illinois Jul 19, 2012

it's really good. but, in my opinion, it is in no way worth what it trades for. get a bcbs and a vanilla bean (cheap in bulk on ebay) and you have a superior BA vanilla stout at a bargain (relatively speaking) price.
  8. Iamjeff6

Iamjeff6 Advocate (535) Virginia Sep 9, 2013

If I could have BVDL's babies I would..That's how good it is
  9. Ok I thought the exact same thing. I dont like regular darklord so I thought the BA Verizons couldn't be that much better. Boy was I wrong, so so wrong. I had the brandy vanilla, PVW, and bourbon vanilla yestersay and they all blew my mind. The bourbon vanilla is a marshmallow bomb. Its like eating/drinking a jar of marshmallow fluff. These beers are amazing they completely live up to all the hype.
  10. I've had Bourbon Dark Lord and thought it was amazing, much better than regular. I can only imagine that BVDL is better than Bourbon Dark Lord.
  11. Resuin

Resuin Champion (770) Massachusetts Jun 18, 2012

Does anyone know how long BADL's are barrel aged for?
  12. Holy shit Joel, regular DL is in your 'wants' and you almost got a bottle of this year's shipped to you for your MM winnings. I got word that a new Off Color bottling was coming out this week and held off on sending until this Monday, now to scramble on something else. My thought was in getting you the Darkness for the Bowl pick'em, I would follow up with this. Grrrr you.
  13. jshusc

I thought I took it off. I only recently had it. Sorry about that. I'll double check to make sure it's off.
  14. jshusc

Double checked and it's not on there. Thank god as that would have been embarrassing. But I literally took it off the day I posted this thread. I'm still a dick so my bad!
  15. Yeah I know it was there when the tourney ended as that was my plan. Boo. Hiss.