1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

C02 Gas Line into Fridge?

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by utahbeerdude, Mar 30, 2013.

1. utahbeerdude

utahbeerdude Member

I'm in the process of setting up a kegging system using 4 Corny kegs. I'd like to keep the kegs in an old fridge (standard GE 20.5 cu ft, two-door fridge/freezer circa 1993). To save space inside the fridge I'd like to run the C02 gas line into the fridge from the outside, preferably through the side of the fridge. I'm guessing that there is only insulation on the side of the fridge, but this is only a guess. Anybody done this and/or know anything about doing this? Cheers!
  2. billandsuz

billandsuz Member

drilling a into a fridge is tricky. is there a panel of coils on the back side of the fridge? there are never any guarantees that you would only be drilling into insulation.

a trick you can try
    mix up a slurry of flour and rubbing alcohol. the slurry should be wet enough to paint but not so loose that it slides off of a surface.
    paint the area where you want to drill.
    turn the fridge up high.
    any coils under the slurry will show up as ghost lines.

its not a guarantee though.

you can also try to snake the line through the auto defrost drain if it has one.
    Cheers.
  3. PortLargo

PortLargo Member

I would not bet that your guess is correct, you might hit an evaporator line or a condenser line. One nick in those and it will be last rites for the fridge. Will the door or top work? Less likely to find a coolant line there, also the base through the compressor hump if you can get access.

If your courage stays high, search google/youtube for drilling in the sides of a fridge, it has been done. One technique is to drill a starter hole through the metal only, then fish around with an ice pick to see what's behind the surface.
  4. WanderingFool

WanderingFool Member

I drilled a hole through the side of my fridge for a CO2 line and had no problems. All the fridge tubing is in the back on mine. Fill the hole with some silicone to seal it.
  5. GreenKrusty101

GreenKrusty101 Member

I have plenty of room in my 19.2 cu ft refer for (4) ball lock kegs and (2) 5# CO2 bottles...I can even squeeze in a 5th keg for lagering if need be. I left my bottom glass shelves in (reinforced with vertical 2x4s) so that I still have room for short bottles underneath...bombers, etc in the door.
  6. ventura78

ventura78 Member

I drilled through the side too. One for the co2 and two others for taps. I take a lot of refrigerators apart and have found that the Freon lines are normally in the back.
    WanderingFool likes this.
  7. scurvy311

scurvy311 Member

A few years ago I was mounting a hasp on my shop fridge to keep my students out. The first hole I drilled into the side edge punctured a line and ruined the fridge. It's a crap shoot. This was an old fridge. The middle of the side, it's impossible to say.
  8. WickedSluggy

WickedSluggy Member