1. One Hundred Mags (Rule). Check out the sneak peek of BeerAdvocate magazine #100, plus some of the changes coming your way.

CA to Akron, OH Suggestions

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by Rollzroyce21, Feb 6, 2013.

1. There's a chance I could be visiting Akron later this month on business so I'd appreciate any BA's advice/suggestions on places to visit. Bars, eateries, bottleshops, breweries, etc.

Cheers.

2. miketd

miketd Advocate (520) Ohio Mar 2, 2006

Thirsty Dog is probably your best bet,along with Winking lizard. But I'm not down there often, so there may be something else. If you have a car, drive 40 minutes up to Cleveland.

Rollzroyce21 likes this.
  3. M1A2

M1A2 Savant (490) Ohio Jan 15, 2012

The Brew Kettle is in Strongsville and their White Rajah is MUST get from them, or at any local bottle shop near Akron.

Rollzroyce21, MarkIntihar and JM03 like this.
  4. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

There's a bar called Ray's Place in Kent that is pretty cool, as well as 101 Bottles. Both are maybe a 15-20 minute drive from Akron.

5. JM03

JM03 Initiate (0) Ohio Nov 12, 2010

Some Local beers to seek out are: White Rajah, Columbus IPA, Columbus Bodhi, Head Hunter, Willoughby Peanut Butter Cup Porter.. There will of course be many more that you don't normally have access to, but those are the standout locals to me.

Rollzroyce21 and MarkIntihar like this.
  6. BeRanger

BeRanger Savant (485) Michigan Dec 11, 2011

Bring a winter jacket.

Extravadanza and Rollzroyce21 like this.
  7. JM03

JM03 Initiate (0) Ohio Nov 12, 2010

And bring us some fresh Pliny, Alpine, and the like.

Rollzroyce21 likes this.
  8. Thanks for the tips!

I'll see what I can bring.. I'm hoping winter clothes won't take up too much weight of my check-in bag.

9. miketd

Us NE Ohioans wear spring stuff until it gets below zero, sometimes even shorts. When in Rome... ;)

Extravadanza likes this.
  10. If you see any Hoppin' Frog stuff on tap at a bar then give it a try. It wouldn't be worth your time to visit the Hoppin' Frog brewery because it's production-only and they don't have a tasting room. If you're going to try to take bottles back with you then that's another story. Most of their stuff can be found in good bottle shops though.

MarkIntihar likes this.
  11. Shorts, huh? I have a feeling it won't be a good idea for me... It was about 46 degrees this morning and I was pretty cold. But if it means more weight to bring beer back home, then I might have to.

This is good to know.. maybe I'll swing by if their bottles are cheaper there than the bottleshops. Thanks.

miketd likes this.
  12. awlcordell

awlcordell Zealot (75) Ohio Jan 19, 2013

Bottles run about the same in the store, IMO it's not worth heading to the hoppin frog location.

Rollzroyce21 likes this.
  13. jaymesbawned

jaymesbawned Savant (290) Texas Feb 1, 2011

Hit up Primo's Deli for lunch if you have time. Good sandwiches and a nice selection of beer that you can take to go as well.

Rollzroyce21 likes this.
  14. cool avatar

15. DogfishJoe

DogfishJoe Savant (480) Ohio Feb 14, 2010

lots of hopping frog and other great ohio brews at 101 bottles down the road. btw last time i was their they had some vintage ba boris thats great

Rollzroyce21 likes this.
  16. jaymesbawned

THanks, 3 of the most likeable sociopaths in cinema history, all wrapped up into one!

17. Agreed.

I'm sure you've heard this before, but just in case you didn't...
    That scene in DKR in the police station where Gordon just got promoted and officers around him were clapping, Joker stares at Gordon and claps as well (I think that's where the avatar pic is from). After that take, Gary Oldman goes up to Heath and tells him he reminded him of malcolm mcdowell in CO. Heath tells him that just before the shooting, he was in his trailer watching that beginning scene over and over.

Not sure if Pitt did the same for Tyler Durden..

SDG1070 likes this.
  18. jaymesbawned

Did not know that...it's pretty awesome.

19. I live in Akron....downtown you should hit Lockview bar and newer Baxter's bar right next door....good draft and bottle selection and the food is not bad....right on S. Main St...from there, you are like a 3 minute drive to Thirsty Dog, which is worth a visit.....Hoppin Frog is about 15 minutes from there, also worth a visit - call first, Fred and the guys are fun to talk to and they sometimes have bottles there you cannot always find in local shops....Primos Deli also a good stop and decent food and bottle selection. Portage Lakes Brewing (a bottle shop, NOT a brewery) in the south part of town (near me) has a super great bottle selection as well. Acme # 1 on West Market St (grocery store chain, several stores in the area) has a really nice selection as well, as does West Point Market 1/2 mile away....all worthy of a visit, and easy to hit in a few hours or so! Enjoy, and crank up local boys The Black Keys while in Akron....they rock!

Rollzroyce21 and jaymesbawned like this.
  20. Also, depending on when you will be in NE Ohio....the Brew Kettle in Strongsville (Clev. south suburb) will be having "OgreFest" from Feb 11-17, with 64 BIG beers you often do not see around here....sounds super crazy! Check it http://thebrewkettle.com/ogrefest/index.htm

Rollzroyce21 likes this.
  21. Thanks for the tips everyone. I have following flagged as must hit:
    Thirsty Dog​
    Primo​
    Lockview​
    Portage​
    Acme#1/WestPoint​

Following are try and hit:
    Hoppin Frog​
    Crave​
    Swensons​

And did not know that Black Keys are native here. Will load my iPod with more of their songs.

22. Yeah, they are born and bred Akronites....like Chrissie Hyne of the Pretenders and Devo!! The 2 BK boys moved to Nashville a year or so ago though, so they no longer live here....if you have not heard "Little Black Submarines" from El Camino, check it out...awesome guitar action

Rollzroyce21 likes this.
  23. I didn't see Swenson's mentioned in the replies above, but that's a good recommendation if it is the drive-in hamburger place and not the name of a bar or bottle shop. I haven't had one of their burgers in years, but it's a tradition when my wife and I go to Akron to visit her family members. Yum.

jaymesbawned and Rollzroyce21 like this.
  24. masterofsparks

masterofsparks Advocate (540) Ohio Nov 15, 2009

If you're going to be in Cleveland, Great Lakes is worth a visit as well. As of earlier this week, they still have BA Blackout Stout available in bottles at the brewery, so depending on when you visit, you may be able to score some if you're interested.

Rollzroyce21 likes this.
  25. jaymesbawned

I miss Swensons...I live in houston, and while there is tons of great food here, there's no Swensons...:(

26. On Google maps, it says the drive from Akron to Cleveland would take a little less than 40 minutes. Is this accurate?

27. That would be about right depending on where the Google start/stop points are located, and traffic/weather issues. I don't think that any Cleveland beer destinations are right off the interstate so you need to allow some extra time for city traffic too.

Rollzroyce21 likes this.
  28. miketd

"Cleveland" is often including surrounding suburbs. If you wanted to do the best possible trip, hit The Brew Kettle in Strongsville, Fat Head's in North Olmstead, and Tremont Tap House in Tremont. Great Lakes is close to the last stop, but it might be pushing it. The round trip would be around be about 1:45, but would be worth the trip.

29. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

MELT would be a good stop for food. Just don't go at peak hours, or plan on sitting at the bar...

Rollzroyce21 likes this.
  30. Thanks, I'll check out the neighborhoods to see what's doable.

31. I'll be in Akron this upcoming Tuesday (19th). Anyone interested in doing an IP trade? There are many CA brews I can offer.. anyone interested in Bruery Wanderer?

32. I thought I'd mention here first before creating a thread in the trade forum.

33. smarks2327

smarks2327 Aficionado (175) Ohio Apr 5, 2011

Swenson's is a MUST

jaymesbawned and Rollzroyce21 like this.
  34. So I didn't have much time to visit all the places I had wanted. I pretty much only had Tuesday evening and it was freezing! I stopped by Thirsty Dog but found out they're closed on Tuesdays. Bummer.

Did get to try Primo's spicy italian (great sandwich) with Bell's Two Hearted (always awesome). Visited Portage Lakes Brew Co. and had fun shopping there. Picked up a 3F Behemoth. Got to try few other beers. I was constantly full during the trip so I couldn't squeeze more in.

Beers I got to try for first time:
    DH Too Cream, NH Dragon's Milk, GL Blackout and Alchemy, ST 2xIPA, Flower Power, Nugget Nectar, 3F Robert the Bruce, Head Hunter

Beers brought back:
    3F Behemoth, TD Siberian Night, BBA Cereal Killer (2x), another Flower Power.

I know.. kinda weak that I couldn't try more. I would love to come visit again, but probably during the summer. That snow storm yesterday was fascinating, but nerve-racking to drive through.

Thanks again for all the advices. Cheers.

Mothergoose03, MarkIntihar and JM03 like this.
  35. You're gonna' absolutely love that Cereal Killer!

Rollzroyce21 likes this.