1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Cable Beverages Cantillons

Discussion in 'US - Mid-Atlantic' started by tobelerone, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Hey guys just a heads up...Cable Beverages has three 375 Cantillon Classic Gueuze left as of...right now. I won't make it there but someone might want to go scoop those up. Enjoy. I believe they're only 8.99 a piece.

And the race...is on.

2. Ha! Thanks a lot ;)

Yeah- they posted it on Facebook yesterday. I might head up there after work, but doubt there will be any left at that time. There is always something else to get, though...

3. reasonably priced loons on the shelf? say it aint so.
    i've never even heard of this place, so doubt it's somewhere i can get to. google tells me new york?

4. SpeedwayJim

SpeedwayJim Advocate (700) New York Jun 19, 2009

Rockland County, NY

5. joehill

joehill Aficionado (190) New York Apr 11, 2008

Eagle Provisions in Brooklyn just tweeted that they got Cantillion in and to call for details, so I did and 750ml bottles are going for ... $100

6. Oh sorry to be un-specific on the location. It's in Bardonia, NY. As Speedway Jim said, Rockland County, about 20-30 minutes north of the George Washington Bridge. Figured the folks in that area would know it well enough.

If not for my stupid JOB I'd be up there scooping them up myself.

7. Not that I'd buy them at that price, but which ones did they get?

8. joehill

joehill Aficionado (190) New York Apr 11, 2008

there were 4, i tuned out at $100 but definitely fou foune and i think mamouche

9. jbarone

jbarone Zealot (95) New York Jan 24, 2013

Iris, Mamouche, Fou Foune, Bruocsella Grand Cru were the four he told me.

10. phooky

phooky Savant (420) New York Jan 23, 2010

Fuck them.
    I'm glad to see they're still sitting on cases and cases of the $35 BCBS 4pks. Fucking thieves.

dar482 likes this.
  11. SpeedwayJim

Lol... they know they're in the same borough as a bar that sells Blabaer for cheaper right?

dar482, POTABLE83, mkurylko and 2 others like this.
  12. jmarce

jmarce Savant (320) Connecticut May 15, 2011

fyi, Foodtown Express in Yonkers apparently has Cuvee St. Gilloise for $27.99. I hope this means Cantillon might start becoming available in NY stores once in a while.

VonZipper likes this.
  13. Just called, only 2 left and it's one per person.

14. Mr_Brodie

Mr_Brodie Zealot (90) New York Dec 13, 2012

Has anyone been to foodtown in Yonkers? Their list on beermenus is insane. I was wondering how accurate it is for new items.. I don't think they remove anything since they have both Enjoy By 12/21/12 and 4/1/13.
    I would make the trip from NYC if they have Cantillon, Sucaba, BA Bigfoot.... It is a long 'featured' list

dar482 likes this.
  15. SpeedwayJim

They have the ones you mentioned. However, that list is pretty dated. There are other things on there that are no longer on the shelf. Also, a lot of the "rarer" beers are kept in the back. You have to ask Rico, the beer guy, for them.

16. Crookdrain

Crookdrain Savant (420) New York Jan 13, 2010

Eagle and Bierkraft are prime examples of bottle shops that exude all of the negative aspects of craft beer - greed, price gouging, and product hoarding. I went into Bierkraft last night and was stunned at what they were charging fr bottles and cans - $5.50 for one can of Sixpoint 3Beans! $23.95 got a Victory Oaked Horizontal. And the scary thing is, Eagle might actually be worse. $33 for Black Ops!

17. Crookdrain

So I checked with WF Bowery and New Beer yesterday. Both were surprised (I would even say shocked) to learn that Eagle got in Cantillon bottles. They were even more shocked when I told them the price they were charging. The beer guy at WF was insistent that Cantillon only goes to bars/restaurants in NYC, and not to any bottle shops, while New Beer seemed clueless as well and told me they would "try" to get some in, but not to hold my breath.

18. mark14580

mark14580 Initiate (0) New York Jan 15, 2011

Eagle is insane. However, Bierkraft is in a bit of a predicament because you can open the bottles you purchase right in the store. So they're kind of half bar/half store. Their bottles prices are pretty on par with that of a bar, which is of course high. If they could offer an option that carry out bottles are reduced it would be a much better place IMO.

19. marshmeli

marshmeli Savant (425) New York Feb 14, 2012

Well with this recent tweet from Eagle, I am assuming they just ordered some stuff from Belgium and are selling it since they have Westy 12, 8 and blonde
    CANTILLON (Saint-Gilloise 4/4 L $100)(Lou Pepe Kreit 3/4 L $100)(Gueuze 375CL $50.)Kreik 375 CL $50) WESTVLETEREN #12-$75#8 $50 Blond $50

20. Crookdrain

This used to be the excuse but with Top Hops and Good Beer operating the same model (in Manhattan nonetheless) and offering much more reasonable prices, they have no excuse for the ridiculous price gouging anymore.

21. mark14580

Good Beer doesn't have the same model. You can't open bottles there.

I thought Top Hops charged a premium for bottles opened there? Though I could be wrong.

22. Quackus

Quackus Savant (335) New York Mar 28, 2012

Top Hops charges a $2 capping fee for bottles consumed on premises. The net result is that when you buy a bottle of a standard shelf beer, you pay $2-3 to take it away or $4-5 to drink it there and when you buy a large format beer, you basically pay ordinary bottle shop prices either way.

Not even in the same league as Bierkraft or Eagle and, genuinely, a hell of a deal.

dar482 likes this.
  23. mark14580

I didn't mean to compare prices. I just said that those two places operate different models.

24. Quackus

Quackus Savant (335) New York Mar 28, 2012

Got it. No worries.

Point remains, though: Top Hops -> Good; Bierkraft, Eagle -> Bad

dar482 and phooky like this.
  25. mark14580

26. Onizilla

Onizilla Aficionado (225) New York Apr 25, 2009

I'm fairly sure they just ordered off the internet to sell it, They're still on premise only in NY state as far as I'm told.

27. Cantillon definitely does appear in NYC bottleshops. Got a 750 LP Kriek last year at new beer for thirty bucks.

Crookdrain likes this.
  28. You have been misinformed. Several beer stores in NYC and north of the city still get Cantillon distributed.

29. Onizilla

Onizilla Aficionado (225) New York Apr 25, 2009

Interesting, This I'll have to look in to. NYC and myself use the same distributor and have consistently been told that it's sold for on sight consumption only. Off to the phones with I!

30. I don't know what distributor Cable uses, but they occasionally have Cantillon beers. The last time was in December, when the Bruocsella Grand Cru was on the shelves for a couple of days. All they got in this time was a 12-bottle case, though, which is obviously gone by now.

31. There's a few places up here (NY, not CT) that get it too...

cavedave likes this.