1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Cable Car? What's going on in the trading forum?

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by DougOLis, Dec 11, 2012.

1. DougOLis

DougOLis Savant (275) California Aug 15, 2008

Why are there so many ISOs for Cable Car on the trading forum right now? Did Toronado (SD) just get a permit to sell to go or something?

2. From Toronado SF page on facebook.

Ok friends! Tonight is our first Holiday bottle party and we will be unloading a ton of amazing bottles.

We WILL be selling Lost Abbey Cable Car 2012 for $40.
    We will NOT be selling 2011 Cable Car Kreik.
    Yes on Russian River Temptation Batch 4.

Yes on Dupont Avec L.B.V. 2011.
    Limit 2 bottles on all three.

Also,
    Seven Sins.
    Fantome Noel 2010.
    La Choufe N'Ice.
    Gouden Carolus Noel.
    Janlain Biere De Noel.
    St. Bernardus Christmas.
    Humboldt Black Xantus.
    La Rulles Triple.
    Olfabrikken Kloster.
    La Choulette De Noel.

Bottles are all available to go. Hope to see you tonight!

3. goveia75

goveia75 Savant (265) California Mar 20, 2011

^ this. I guess the only other pieces of information that people may be interested in is that they sold bottles starting at 6pm up until only 8pm give or take. I'm assuming whatever bottles of the ~10 cases or so that were not sold will be held back now for future events. Bottles were $40 a piece and people were allowed to walk away with 2 bottles.

4. I love phantom releases.

5. I wonder how many more likes they will have on Facebook as of today.

6. vissai

vissai Savant (360) California Oct 6, 2010

Did I miss something? I hate when I miss something. Can someone please fill me in on why there is a sudden rush of Cable Car ISO's?

7. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Toronado just released ~120 bottles of it at an event.

8. cetherid

cetherid Savant (395) Indiana Aug 23, 2010

9. vissai

vissai Savant (360) California Oct 6, 2010

Jeez from the ISO:FT's I'm seeing it looked like they released 2000 bottles.

AutumnBeerLove likes this.
  10. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Advocate (505) Texas Apr 13, 2010

This is BA, and if it's Super Rare and Limited, everyone has to clear out their cellars for a bottle.

11. ISO: Cable Car FT: Bolt Cutt<<SLAP>>

STOP IT!!!!!!!!!

12. Is it not for onsite consumption only this year? Guess I've always wondered how any trade each year.

13. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

They supposedly sold bottles to-go during a two hour window. Source.

14. jbck109

jbck109 Savant (365) Michigan May 30, 2010

ok, I will pull out the big guns! ISO cable car FT 1999 Milwaukees best (trunk aged)

UnderJoath and omniscientcause like this.
  15. MykelJH

MykelJH Savant (290) California Aug 3, 2011

What's the link for the FB page? I liked the page but I never seen anything posted by them ever. I think I have the wrong one

16. Siggy125

Siggy125 Savant (480) California Nov 10, 2006

Good God. You'd think it's a cure to cancer or something. Baaaaaah

17. People are shitting there pants over cable car. I shit too, but luckily I was on the toilet this morning when I checked the ISO/FT form

reyes29201 likes this.
  18. Does Yeahnatenelson still have that Pizza Port to trade? I bet that would do it.

19. Sarlacc83

Sarlacc83 Advocate (620) Oregon Mar 2, 2008

Wait, what? A highly sought after whale is released and there's an explosion in ISO:FT? You're kidding me, right? This never happens!

20. Kindof bugs me cause I really would like a bottle, but don't have the ammo(like 750s of blabaer) to get me a bottle. Who wants todo an old school trade?? Lol

21. chase2634

chase2634 Savant (315) Pennsylvania Nov 10, 2009

Does anyone know what the actual bottle counts are on this or is this all speculation?

22. wsnich

wsnich Savant (410) Texas Apr 26, 2010

Rumor is that 10 out of the 12 cases were sold. They did not sell all 12 cases and sells were cut off at the end of the 6-8pm time window. Speculation that a max of 50 people will have bottles because of the 2 bottle limit and a few people have 5-7.

23. chase2634

Thanks, but nothing official from the brewer correct? Just trying to make sure this doesn't turn into the next Beat5 release.

24. Planning on making a recon trip tonight and head back to see if i can pick up any stragglers that were left to fend for themselves. Something about a bottles going on sale again from 5-6 or something like that.

Just what i got from intelligence.

MarkIntihar likes this.
  25. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

The brewer is Lost Abbey and they have nothing to with/no input on what Toronado does with their Cable Car bottles. LA makes it for Toro and it's up to them what they do with it.

26. MarkIntihar

goandpickitupformebruh?

27. Not to be a rogue soldier captain but this is a solo mission and im not bringing along a 6 man team like i normally would. Intell came in and i thought i would jump on the mission. Still not sure if i have a green light from HQ's to be able to go.

MarkIntihar likes this.
  28. Knifestyles

Knifestyles Savant (455) New York Jun 7, 2005

This sounds incredibly ridiculous. You know that, right?

cavedave and MarkIntihar like this.
  29. Yessir, but im bored and need to make light out of the fact that im about to put a family pet to rest in a couple hours.

30. MarkIntihar

Sorry to hear that! :(

Lordkrystic and ales4baldo like this.
  31. Thank you.

32. What would the brewer have to do with it? Tomme makes the beer and gives it to the SF and SD Toronados. Lost Abbey always gives a few away during special events, such as their holiday party. Toronado SD only has an on-premise license, so you can only drink them there. Toronado SF used to sell them during their Anniversary party, but they weren't ready this year. The last few years they only allowed them to be sold on-premise or to certain "friends" of the bar.

Not sure why people are surprised this is trading like crazy. In the past I've traded bottles of it for Blabaers, Blau, etc. They haven't sold any to go for two years. I'd expect those who've always wanted a bottle to spring for it now.

stupac2 and MarkIntihar like this.
  33. franklinn

franklinn Savant (440) Vermont May 29, 2012

I was going to offer a 4-pack KBS for a bottle in the ISO:FT, but now I'm afraid I might be giving up too much. Any insight?

Hugonaut13 likes this.
  34. chase2634

Thanks for the info. I meant any word on bottle count from Toronado, not the brewer, my bad. Just trying to figure out the specifics considering from what most have stated it's all speculation as to how much is going to be released etc. Anyone actually tried it last night?

35. totoropanda

totoropanda Savant (255) New Jersey Apr 12, 2012

condolences =(

ales4baldo likes this.
  36. Thanks dude.

37. kiki3drt292

kiki3drt292 Savant (360) California Jan 13, 2011

Just came back from Toronado and talked to the barkeep. He has one case left, minus the 4 me and a buddy picked up. Also sold out of b4 Temptation. Good luck on your quest!

ales4baldo likes this.
  38. We opened a couple of bottles. It's a really nice batch, but it's still really green. It's better than '10 was when it was fresh, and on par with where '09 was when fresh. Both of those bottles, needed about 4 months to really hit their stride though, and the '10 didn't start tasting great for almost a year.

39. Duffman929

Duffman929 Savant (380) Illinois Nov 27, 2010

I'm not your bruh, buddy.

40. I ain't your buddy, pal.