1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Calgary Bottle Shops

Discussion in 'Canada' started by mmcnaughton, Mar 6, 2013.

1. mmcnaughton

mmcnaughton Savant (285) Michigan Apr 1, 2008

I am heading to Calgary next week on business (I am staying downtown). Does anyone have any suggestions for bottle shops that I should hit up while I am there? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Will you have a car? I work at the Hamptons Co-op but its a pain in the ass to get to from downtown unless your driving. Kingsington Wine Market and Zyn would be my choices if mobility's a problem.

Hornet2003 likes this.
  3. mmcnaughton

I will not have a car. The places that you suggested should work. Thanks!

4. Kensington wine market, Willow park wine, Bin 905, Hamptons Co-op are my preference. Zyn is alright, I prefer to support the boutique shops.

Hornet2003 likes this.
  5. The Cellar Wine Store on 8th Ave downtown has a small but impressive selection and the rare and ltd beers that get snatched up at other bottle shops seem to linger there a little longer there.

6. hoser

hoser Savant (390) Alberta (Canada) Feb 17, 2003

Besides going to visit Chris aka wordemupg the best stores in town are Kensington and Willow. All turn over stock quickly and if you catch the right person will tell you what the what about the beers in our market.

7. Walked by there many a time, always meant to stick my head in. Thanks for the tip!

8. The Cellar Wine Store on 8th always has something I thought was long gone or never knew existed, always a surprise in there worth a look downtown for sure.

9. mmcnaughton

Thank you all for the info. It is much appreciated.

10. usofar

usofar Initiate (0) California Dec 23, 2010

Looks like I'll be in Calgary for work next week. Not sure what my schedule will allow but this thread was very useful. Any recommendations on beer/food options while I'm in Calgary?

11. For draft beer and decent food I'd recommend National and Beer Revolution. Craft is OK if you are cool dealing with hoards of bros. Bottle shops listed above are good and some still have a few Cantillon on the shelf. If you'd be interested in an IP trade, drop me a message. Otherwise enjoy the city!

usofar likes this.
  12. usofar

I'm not sure what my schedule is going to be like and I'd hate to commit to something that I can't make time for. I'll BM you once I have a better understanding of my schedule there.

13. usofar

Was in your fine city last week but didn't have much time to venture out with weather and work taking it's toll on my time there. I was in SE Calgary and was able to hit up Willow Park since they were open late, and purchase a few bottles. Surprised at the selection of Belgian beers on the shelf. If only I had more room in my luggage!

14. Just in Calgary for the day. Checked out Kensington, Willow Park, Zyn, and Hampton's Co-Op (yes I drove around a lot) Overall very impressed! I found a unique and interesting selection at all of them. General notes:

- Kensington is the most expensive, but also the only one I found Pannepot and Pannepot Grande Reserva :D
    - Willow Park was great for Euro Imports, and a large bomber selection in the fridge, decent prices.
    - Zyn, weirdest location for a bottle shop. Huge wall of beer, great variety, a little cheaper than Kensington.
    - Hamptons CoOp had the coldest walk in beer fridge I've been to. Awesome selection, great staff. Lots of Mikkeller single hop series

Overall great staff at all locations, super friendly, chatty, curious about BC beer etc. In total came back with 23 bottles that I managed to squeeze into a carry-on size suitcase. Loved all the small import bottles carried in Calgary from Mikkeller, Evil Twin, De Struisse, De Molen. And also lots of great Quebec beers we don't see out in BC much if at all. Didn't really find anything in terms of US beers that I couldn't already find in BC, but again lots from Eastern Canada so that was cool. Cantillon is cheaper in Vancouver ;)

note: a full carry-on of beer weighs about 45 pounds...

15. Nice to meet you, thanks for taking the time to come all the way up to the Hamptons:)

philhyde and JonnyBeers like this.