1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Calgary - Where are the 'Loons at?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by OakedCanuck, Dec 21, 2012.

1. OakedCanuck

OakedCanuck Initiate (0) Washington Jun 23, 2009

I am coming back to the Motherland (from Seattle) to be with family for Christmas. What are my chances of finding any Cantillon? Good, medium or laughable?

Cheers and Thanks!

2. Where? It's definitely available in Vancouver, Calgary & Edmonton. No hope in Ontario & Manitoba...

3. Almost gone in Vancouver too. No Lou Pepe or St Lamvinus left. Even the regulars are gone almost everywhere.

4. I think Kensington Wine Market or Willow Park may have some left, but selection is kind of thin. I think Zyn may be out, not 100% sure. If you call around the Calgary Co-Op liqour stores you may find some as well. To be honest, the Calgary shelves are getting kind of bare. Gone are the days of having half a dozen places to find the Lou Pepe's at I think.

5. https://www.kensingtonwinemarket.com

If you search inventory, they're showing Vigernonne and St. Gilloise left...

Also, Chris (BA wordemupg) @ the Hamptons Co-Op liqour store in Calgary sent me this inventory list as of Nov. 4th:

Cuvee Saint Gilloise Jan,2010
    Vigneronne Nov, 2009
    Lamvinus Oct, 2011
    2007 Iris
    Gambrinus Jan,2010

6. OakedCanuck

OakedCanuck Initiate (0) Washington Jun 23, 2009

Thanks everyone! I'm looking forward to the cold and snow!

7. My loons got pillaged much to my surprise, they collect dust for ages then out of the blue someone cleans me out.
    I still have a few bottles of Gambrinus Jan,2010 and a more recent bottling I'll check the dates tomorrow.
    The Saint Gilloise Jan,2010 is gone but I have a full shelf of a newer version and again I'll let you know the dates tomorrow. I still have a few Vigneronne from Nov, 2009
    I'll send out an e-mail to all Co-op's tomorrow asking if they have any stock and save you some time but I have a feeling the 3 I have in stock will be the norm.
    You might get lucky and find some Lou Pepe's at some random Ma and Pa store but I wouldn't get your hopes up.
    Where are you staying in Calgary? I'm out of the way but many BA's have made the pilgrimage and I'd love to show you around the beer wall.

8. Thanks for the update Chris! Any idea when Calgary will getting in a restock of the Cantillon? I haven't heard anything at all. It seems there was a big shipment in 2010(?) then a couple of smaller ones and then...nothing...for the last 8 or so months? Maybe an email to Horizon is in order...;)

9. hoser

hoser Savant (390) Alberta (Canada) Feb 17, 2003

An email to Horizon is going to get you nothing, they have 4 skus in the province not sold out at the warehouse level and nothing coming until next spring at the very earliest.

10. I emailed Horizon a few weeks ago and was told I'd know when the Cantillion shipment's on its way.
    I've sent out an e-mail to all Co-op's asking if they have stock and will give an update.
    Also,
    Cuvee Saint Gilloise, Nov,2011
    and
    Gambrinus, Dec, 2011
    are both here in in the Hamptons

11. Well, given the weather right now over here, spring works for me! ;) Actually, as long as we get some more by 2016 I think my supply should hold out OK over here. "Less buying, more drinking!" needs to be my motto for 2013...

Rutager likes this.
  12. I only got one reply from the Rocky Ridge Co-op saying they have 4 different Cantillion in stock but haven't gotten back to me telling me what they have in stock. I'll keep you informed.

13. Not really relevant to all of you, I suppose, but Sherbrooke has plenty left of pretty much all Cantillon skus ever available in Alberta, save the Fou'Foune, but that would entail actual consideration of this remote northern outpost of ours, eh?