1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Calling out St. Arnold's and Karbach

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by icetrauma, Dec 22, 2012.

1. icetrauma

icetrauma Savant (495) Texas Sep 7, 2004

Alright you 2 Houston big boys. It's about time y'all do a collab. don't ya think?

champ103 and BeanBone like this.
  2. BeanBone

BeanBone Savant (445) Texas Oct 12, 2006

This thread should be Divine F.U.N.

3. champ103

champ103 Champion (870) Texas Sep 3, 2007

Karback has been out for about a year and a half, already one of the big boys. I love it. Great idea, and great name BeanBone.

4. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Advocate (500) Nevada Jan 20, 2010

Man, the collaborations that some Texas breweries could come up with...

5. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Jester King and Prairie Artisan Ales needs to happen.

6. mattisloco

mattisloco Savant (455) Texas Feb 13, 2007

Interesting but unlikely

7. icetrauma

I'm happy for JK they did a collab with Mikeller but I would like to see the Texas brewery's do something together. Kinda like when SA did Homefront. Come up with a brew recipe and trial it and have it out in time for next year breast cancer awareness season. Beer for boobs!

r0nburgundy69 likes this.
  8. starkmarvelo

I was thinking Jester King and Freetail. Something sour :-D

9. icetrauma

That's another good combo.

Keep'em coming. Maybe, some will see this and we can get some results.

10. Lutter

Karbach and Austin Beerworks.

FUNKPhD and East1stgrocery like this.
  11. turfy

turfy Savant (350) Texas Mar 17, 2010

Collaborations are usually overrated... just saying.

boogercrack, Ford and cfh64 like this.
  12. testicular cancer awareness. not as glamourous but it happens too. beer for balls

13. Lutter

For me, they're 50/50. Generally they don't make anything that's astoundingly better than their normal lineup beers, but sometimes you can get something unique (see: Stone Mint Chocolate or Alpine/NB Super IPA). I'm a BIG fan of the De Molen's Brewmaster Collaboration Series.

BeanBone and cfh64 like this.
  14. cfh64

cfh64 Advocate (655) Texas Aug 16, 2005

Couldn't agree more with Lutter, OMG the world has ended :p. Collabs are cool in theory but rarely seem to pan out.

15. icetrauma

Which is why I would propose the proceeds from the brew go to charity. Kinda of a feel good gesture.

cfh64 likes this.
  16. jbeezification

jbeezification Savant (415) Texas Jun 6, 2012

Karbach and Deep Ellum with no distro to Austin.

17. Lutter

Ah ha! We get Deep Ellum now!

18. icetrauma

That could be one bad ass DIPA!

19. jbeezification

jbeezification Savant (415) Texas Jun 6, 2012

I really wouldn't mind seeing a Merlot Barrel Aged Deep Ellum IPA.

icetrauma likes this.
  20. Lutter

Bodaciously Wealthy - Wealth & Taste aged in Merlot barrels.

Azzy, icetrauma and jbeezification like this.
  21. I would love to see a TX collab between all 32 breweries in the state. It would be a brown-hefe-ipa-gueuze aged in crude oil barrels with pixie sticks, grated cheese, and moonpies

22. Lutter

You forgot chicken fried steak and fried pickles.

23. You forgot jalapenos and armadillo jizz ... Quick someone call Sam @ DFH !!!

cfh64 likes this.
  24. Azzy

Azzy Savant (300) Texas Jul 16, 2012

St. Arnold's will never do a collab. I asked Brock about it in a tour and he pretty much yelled at me. He said its the stupidest gimmick ever, "What is a collaboration? I don't understand what these breweries are doing and saying it is a collaboration, it is just a marketing thing. I will never understand these collaborations and I will not partake in one. The only real collaboration was the one by Russian River and Avery when they got into a dispute over a name."

25. UHCougar12

UHCougar12 Savant (465) Texas Feb 21, 2011

Also country fried bacon

26. Ford

Ford Savant (480) Texas Sep 8, 2012

I can understand Saint Arnold's point on that...

oh... and don't forget our State Fair staple that went bigtime nation wide... Corn Dogs

27. chaseabeer

chaseabeer Savant (370) Oklahoma Feb 4, 2009

I'm going down there in the next month or so. Given our mutual friends, I'm thinking they would be interested.

28. Lutter

Awesome, Chase!

Really want to see your stuff in TX, but I know the damn licensing fees are going to preclude that for the time being.

29. starkmarvelo

Collaboration can be quite beneficial for us. Think Sierra Nevada and Russian River. Or New Belgium and Alpine. Big breweries with huge distro pairing up with smaller local breweries. And I don't know if there's some sort of legal issue in Texas, but if say Jester King and Freetail teamed up and used Jester Kings distribution, now a lot of people in Texas can drink Freetail without driving 12 hours from El Paso.

dumptruck81 likes this.
  30. chaseabeer

To be honest, the fees aren't the issue as the brewery I use is licensed to sell down there. I just need to talk to a broker that might be interested. I could ship 3000 cases of saisons by March. Who would be a good one to contact?

JJFoodie likes this.
  31. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

Life & Limb (DFH/SN) was a fantastic collaboration. I've seen some that suck, too, but with the right breweries, collabs can really work well

32. mattisloco

Are you required to go through the current distributers that Shelton already uses in Texas?

33. BeanBone

Boo, that's no fun.

icetrauma likes this.
  34. LadyOfMuchBeer

LadyOfMuchBeer Savant (380) Texas Apr 30, 2011

While he may come off as just being a snob, Brock does have a point. Collabs tend to be more of a marketing tool, a way around distribution laws(hit two markets at once), and a way to move beer off the shelves by marketing to the fans of two breweries. Saint Arnolds is a "flagship" brewery, they don't need to do a collab. Would be nice to see more brewers do collabs with neighboring breweries just for the artform of the beer, but it does defy why most breweries seem to do collaborations. I could think of so many breweries I would rather see Karbach work with than St. Arnold's.

I just want St. Arnold's to come out with a hard root beer as good as their regular root beer. lol

UHCougar12 likes this.
  35. JJFoodie

JJFoodie Aficionado (210) Texas May 11, 2009

Favorite Brands is killing it right now...pushstart13 would be the guy to contact...after having some of your stuff at my boy mattisloco 's house tasting, I WANT MORE!!!

36. chaseabeer

I'm not sure they are in Texas, Mikkeller beers that land in Texas is due to De Proef, that's why you only see some of his beers.

37. BeanBone

They're not exactly the most exciting brewery out there, this just makes them seem even more staid.

38. mattisloco

I believe we get other Shelton Bros stuff. Its either Favorite Brands or Mexcore... I'm pretty sure its Mexcore. I know one of their reps pretty well. I'll get you the proper contact info.

39. chaseabeer

I'd like to talk to him. I would be shipping beer direct, so I wouldn't be using Shelton Brothers.

H0rnedFr0gs, JJFoodie and mattisloco like this.
  40. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Savant (425) Texas Mar 12, 2012

Bring on Realtail! Oh wait they do that already.

Gimmick or not, some of these turn out to be amazing beers. Stone More Brown than Black is the best Black IPA in existence.