1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Campden Tablet usage for water with Chloramines?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by tronester, Jun 23, 2012.

1. tronester

tronester Advocate (635) Oklahoma Nov 25, 2006

This year my city switched from using Chlorine to Choramines in the water supply. In order to effectively neutralize it for my brewing water, I can use Campden tablets, correct?

If so, what is the reccomended number of tablets to treat each gallon? I've heard 1 tablet per gallon, crushed, but also 1 tablet for the entire batch?
  2. Homebrew42

Homebrew42 Savant (425) New York Dec 20, 2006

1 tablet per 20 gallons is the dosage to treat for chlorine/chloramine, 1 tablet per gallon is the dosage for sanitizing a liquid pre fermentation or stabilizing post fermentation.
  3. tronester

tronester Advocate (635) Oklahoma Nov 25, 2006

Would it hurt anything if i used an entire tablet for a 3 gallon batch, simply to neutralize the chloramine?
  4. I thought I read that campden tablets will get rid of chlorine but will not get rid of chloramine, that the only way to remove chloramine is by filtering through a charcoal filter? I would really like to know what brewers do to their water that have chloramine in it, I'm in the same boat and want to stop buying spring water.
  5. jokelahoma

jokelahoma Savant (450) Missouri May 9, 2004

Campden definitely does react with chloramine. A cheap lifesaver.
  6. Campden here...I use one tablet per 5 gallon batch for my entire water volume (10-12 gal usually). Not sure of the exact amount I should be using.
  7. Danielbt

Danielbt Savant (380) Texas May 4, 2012

As mentioned above, 1 tablet is effective for 20 gallons. So, get out a pill cutter and use halves.
    HaysAmerica likes this.
  8. HaysAmerica

HaysAmerica Aficionado (190) Kansas Jan 28, 2011

Danielbt is correct. Just get a cheap pill cutter & use half a tablet. A cheap life & quality saver indeed as jokelahoma mentioned.
  9. Naugled

Naugled Savant (455) New York Sep 25, 2007

I was over dosing with camden (KMETA) for awhile. I think I was using 25g to treat 15 gal. It had no ill effects on the beer. I've cut that back to 7g now and it still does the trick. I credit HB42 for catching that. I was using a method from an article in Brewing Techniques, that happened to have a typo in it. The water can pick up a funny vitamin flavor but it didn't seem to transfer to the beer.
  10. Homebrew42

Sounds to me like your still overdosing, campden tablets are 1/2 gram, so 7 grams for 15 gallons would still be way too much.
  11. SFB

SFB Initiate (0) Oregon Nov 5, 2008

I have been splitting 1 tab between mash and sparge for 10-15 gallon batches. Seems to work for me.
    inchrisin likes this.
  12. What would be the downside of diluting, for instance, one or two tablets in a quart of water, then metering out a measured amount of the super-solution into 5, 10, or whatever gallons of water prior to mashing. Then storing the remaining super-solution in the fridge for subsequent brew sessions. I'm too lazy to do the portion math at this point, as there may be a flaw in the basic logic here. It wouldn't be the first time.
  13. Interesting subject. I have the same issue in my town. I also thought filtering was the only option. I heard from my LHBS that boiling would remove Choramines. I questioned this because the mash and HLT water is never brought to that boil point. How does that effect the beer? Their answer was an extra 30 min boil before the 60 min clock starts will do the trick.I am still not sold on that idea.

After reading the comments above, the use of the campden tabs makes more sense to me. Even if the boiling method is true, the tabs seem much more efficient. And, you can use it for all of the water before you start your brew day.

With that said, how much time should I wait after I dose my water with campden tablets?
  14. Homebrew42

Campden solution loses its potency rapidly, that why you can sanitize juice by adding campden and then pitch your yeast 24 hours later, because by then the majority of the campden has off-gassed.
  15. Homebrew42

Your LHBS is wrong, boiling is not an efficient way of removing chloramine. You can use the water immediately after its treated with the campden.
  16. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

FWIW you can buy metabisulfite in powder form and basically put a tiny pinch in your water. Saves the bother of crushing a tablet and/or splitting it.
  17. VikeMan

VikeMan Advocate (730) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

Make a note to never believe anything that particular employee tells you. Side rant: I swear I have never seen a hobby where so much bad advice is available from the people selling the hobby supplies. Side rant disclaimer: Yes, I know there are good LHBSs out there. But there are some truly bad ones.
  18. Naugled

Naugled Savant (455) New York Sep 25, 2007

Yes, that would be. I actually use 1/4 tsp which is a little over a gram I think, I did a poor metric conversion..