1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Can Goose Island Matilda, Pepe Nero or Juliet be aged?

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by LiquidCourage, Jan 10, 2013.

1. I went to my local liquor store and they had bottles from 2011 and 2012 of all three.

Are the 2011 bottles going to taste any good? I'm not sure how Belgium Strong Ales, Saison or Wild ages.

2. mcrago

mcrago Savant (355) Indiana Oct 6, 2012

If the ABV is over 8%, I don't see why it wouldn't age.

3. atoulouk

atoulouk Savant (400) Indiana Apr 25, 2011

Matilda ages very well IMO. Lolita also aged wonderfully which is why I bought an extra Juliet to put in the cellar.

4. I have a bottles of 2010 Sofie and 2011 Fluer and Juliet, all of which taste great! I think the cap is 5 years if stored properly.

5. Momar42

Momar42 Savant (360) Maryland Sep 19, 2010

Since Juliet is an American Wild I don't think ABV would matter. RR beers are typically below 8% as are many other wilds. Hell most Belgian Gueuze and lambics are near 5%. Pepe is a farmhouse and I've had a 2011 recently that tasted fine. I don't think it "improves" much with age but should be fine to drink with age. Buy an old and fresh one and see for yourself :).

dsal89 likes this.
  6. Goose Island says right on the Matilda bottle that you can cellar it. I have I tried? No, I can't resist the Matilda!

7. rodlavers

rodlavers Savant (435) Pennsylvania Jun 20, 2012

Matilda and Sofie (at least) mature in the bottle for up to five years.

8. Had a 2009 Matilda last night and it was drinking great.

9. cmoody91

cmoody91 Savant (310) Illinois Mar 21, 2010

Matilda is definitely wonderful aged, just like Orval (which is it's inspiration). Definitely more Brett/Yeasty qualities as it ages, in fact a couple months back I had a 2007 Matilda from Goose Island Brewpub that was fantastic! Also have aged Madame Rose, given the similarity in style to Juliet I see no reason why it wouldn't be just as good aged, although you will loose some of the fruit qualities and get more sour/funk.

10. Matilda and Pere Jacques both cellar WONDERFULLY. Hold on to 'em for 1-3 years and they're delicious :)

cmoody91 likes this.
  11. DaveLikesAle

DaveLikesAle Savant (255) Ohio Jan 24, 2006

I've kept Pepe for over a year and it's wonderful

12. Thanks for the info. I'll go grab some next time I'm there.

13. RDMII

RDMII Savant (315) Georgia Apr 11, 2010

It says it on the bottle. Read it and cellar away.

14. pmoney

pmoney Advocate (600) Colorado Apr 15, 2011

Juliet and Matilda will age well. My personal favorite to age for a couple years is Sofie. With 1.5 - 2 years it gets a nice tartness that I just love. Speaking of which, I really need to grab a few bottles of Sofie to set aside...

Mandark likes this.
  15. beerinmaine

beerinmaine Aficionado (225) Maine Jun 20, 2009

Goose Island is really, really good about marking cellaring potential right on every bottle. 1 year, 5 years, 180 days, marked right there. I wish others were as good about it.

16. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (855) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

Anyone have anything to say about how a 2011 Pepe Nero is drinking these days? The local shop still has 2011's sitting in the cooler.

17. Mandark

Mandark Savant (305) Illinois Apr 8, 2008

I was coming here to say the same thing about Sofie. It's much better with a year or so on it, at least to my taste buds. I found a 4 pack recently bottled on 11/11/11 that gave me a new appreciation for a beer I already liked--more tart, funky, smoother mouth feel. Great beer.

18. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Savant (445) Illinois Jul 19, 2012

i had '07 and '09 matilda last year and another '09 this year. the '07 was way over the hill with a strong green apple flavour. i felt the same about the '09 matilda i had this year. the '09 from last year, on the other hand, was much better.

pere jacques is the best aging beer in that lineup. i had two '04s and both were very port-like and delicious.

have not had long aged sofie yet, but i've got an '09 in my cellar. probably going to open it soon.

19. bigedct

bigedct Savant (405) Connecticut Jun 23, 2011

I had a Pepe Nero bottled 4/11, it was very nice. I have one more. Waiting on cracking it to do a side by side comparison to the current vintage.

20. cmoody91

Did you have that '09 sofie yet? have a fall 2010 was thinking about opening, but wasn't sure if I should let it sit a little while longer considering I can always buy it fresh.

21. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Savant (445) Illinois Jul 19, 2012

i have not opened it yet. i'm planning on opening it sometime in the next week or two next to a 2011 and maybe a fresh one too.

side note: you may still be able to buy '09 to go at clybourn, though i haven't been there in a while.

edit: according to the menu on GI's site, yes you still can.

22. cmoody91

Nice, I'll check into that. I looked when I was at the last beer academy and all I saw was old Pepe Nero, but I should have asked what else they had!

23. Aging of these I found is best from 12 to 18 months. I have brewed and aged these styles...