1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Can I hold on to Mango Magnifico until next summer?

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by nickmo, Sep 28, 2013.

1. nickmo

nickmo Disciple (65) Virginia Sep 4, 2013

I found a bottle of Mango Magnifico a month or so ago and didn't end up cracking it yet, and now that fall is here and I'm in the mood for pumpkin beers and more fall seasonal beers I'd like to just wait and open it next summer.

Obviously it was released this year so no ones had it aged but I'm just wondering what people think it would be like. It's 10% so it has the ABV but it is a mango habanero beer so who knows how that will change. I do have it in a temp controlled chest freezer at 55 if that helps. I'm not aging it for the purpose of aging, just want to hold on to it till the summer rolls back around.

2. cde1218

cde1218 Savant (250) New Jersey Sep 13, 2012

You should be fine, habaneros (like any other beers) will fade over time... IMO though, by cellaring all your doing is waiting a year to be disappointed... I was quite happy to drainpour this SOB.

IPAkindaguy likes this.
  3. ravot

ravot Savant (460) Illinois Mar 20, 2012

had it a recent tasting. i really enjoyed it. i thought the habanero had a nice kick. i have a bottle in the fridge. in there it'll age slower but i think i'll hang on to it for at least a few months to see if it 'cools'

4. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Savant (445) Illinois Jul 19, 2012

the only place this beer should be cellared is in your drain

ICCULIS, M1A2, danimalarkey and 2 others like this.
  5. nickmo

nickmo Disciple (65) Virginia Sep 4, 2013

Thanks that's a really helpful comment. Guess I'll just throw it in the trash...

Everyone else thanks for the info, I'll just hold on to it and drink it when I feel like it, keep my expectations low.