1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Can Social Media Be A Viable Promotional Tool For Breweries?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BeerGogglesReviews, Oct 5, 2012.

1. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,005) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

HUGE.

I hate FB and Twitter but felt forced to have them because otherwise I miss out on a lot of info for beer bars & breweries. So much buzz, and that's where it is.
    fox227, dennis3951, JimDH and 4 others like this.
  2. miketd

miketd Advocate (510) Ohio Mar 2, 2006

Me too. I think I have more brewery pages liked than I have FB friends.
  3. wintbs379

wintbs379 Savant (300) Michigan Mar 13, 2009

Can they be?? They already are
    fox227, MichPaul, Providence and 7 others like this.
  4. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,005) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

yes and the RL friends think I'm an alcoholic. But I don't care.
  5. MaxSpang

MaxSpang Advocate (515) Ohio Jan 28, 2011

Yes, of course.
    BeerGogglesReviews likes this.
  6. Duff27

Duff27 Advocate (600) Illinois Feb 10, 2010

I'm taking an Internet Marketing class and asked this exact question in class.

The professor replied, "Not sure if serious."
    libbey, Bluecane, ncaudle and 7 others like this.
  7. JoEBoBpr

JoEBoBpr Champion (760) Missouri Feb 26, 2004

It already is.

I receive most of my info from my local breweries (4 Hands Brewing, Urban Chestnut, Perennial) from FB.
  8. lsummers

lsummers Advocate (535) California Jun 21, 2010

I like that they are on facebook, they let me know they have specials and new brew available as soon as possible
  9. In many cases they are the only promotional tool a small brewery has
  10. Yeah. I mean I really can't see anyone possibly saying no to this question. I get 100% of my local beer news from fb and twitter.
  11. CMUbrew

CMUbrew Savant (425) Michigan Jan 27, 2012

Pretty much anything that is part of the series of tubes we call the internet can be useful for advertising/promotion.
  12. Mike you'd be surprised how many breweries aren't embracing social media in this modern world. I'm not saying anybody is a dinosaur for having a zero social media presence, but many promote only via magazines, yellow pages,
    local newspapers and other antiquated formats, but leave social media completely.
  13. Azzy

Azzy Savant (300) Texas Jul 16, 2012

Social Media Marketing is huge for any company. Two reasons, everyone uses it and 2- it is free. You have instant contact with all of your loyal customers or "fans" almost immediately. Who are the people who will follow you on Facebook? Those who truly love what you are doing. Schools even now offer Social Media marketing classes. It is a huge marketing segment for many companies, not just breweries.
  14. Haha well you may be right. It just makes no sense to me why you wouldn't. Like Azzy just said, it's totally free. So simple. I really don't think I'd be nearly as big of a fan of my local breweries (Carton, Kane) if it wasn't for FB. Being that they're about 45-60 min away, I just wouldn't know what was going on. I dk. Maybe it's just me.
  15. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

Can social media be a viable promotional tool for breweries?

You should check out this one site called "BeerAdvocate." It seems pretty effective.
    Jwren5, TheBoog013, MichPaul and 4 others like this.
  16. I have a Facebook account for the sole purpose of getting brewery updates. I don't even have personal account for friends and family.
  17. BreakingBad

BreakingBad Initiate (0) Sep 17, 2012

I feel like social media is over-valued. Just look at FB stock price. It's half of it's initial offerings. It can be used as a free way to get brewery's names out there, but it's sites like this that truly build brand equity for a brewery and let people know if it's good or not. I feel FB and twitter are just better for products that are just like "Buy our stuff"
    beertunes and BeerGogglesReviews like this.
  18. franklinn

franklinn Savant (440) Vermont May 29, 2012

Hey guys, do you think free advertising that is delivered directly to your target demographics is beneficial to a company that is attempting to turn a profit? I'm unsure about this.
  19. Azzy

You answered your own question . You are marketing to those who are interested for no cost at all.

A local brewery here said they once took out a Radio ad for $50,000. Their sales went up by .01%. They said it would've been more effective to take the money and make a fire with it.
  20. franklinn

;)

At least if they burned the money people would remember them as the crazy bastards who had a bonfire with 50 g's.
  21. Azzy

Exactly lol
  22. yamar68

Sounds too good to be tr... wait a minute...

23. Stone brewing had one of the best marketing ideas I've seen. Give employees kegs of beer to take to parties and get people hooked on the crack for free.
  24. Azzy

That works too. Specially since to them beer at cost is cheap, not only that but they write it off as Spillage/Comps and they pay no taxes on it. Cost of a Keg would be $20 at producer level.
  25. This! Hahaha I'm always hesitant to hit that like button or pOst another picture of beer to FB.

And yes, social media is huge for breweries and bars
  26. liking your fav breweries on facebook is a huge help in knowing when certain beers are being released and in some cases when cask events are happening. in fact i'm going to an event this wednesday for driftwood's sartori harvest and i learned of it through social media
  27. franklinn

Srsly, we should all go run and tell our favorite breweries about this new fangled facebook thing and how cost effective it could be for marketing their products.... But how on earth will we get a hold of them??
  28. yamar68

My thoughts exactly... do you have a reliable pigeon?
  29. tacosandbeer

tacosandbeer Savant (420) Colorado Sep 24, 2010

you're asking on a forum? :)
  30. franklinn

I'll hit up my pigeon guy tomorrow and see what he's got in the stables.
    yamar68 likes this.
  31. I'm amazed and impressed that schools have the foresight to encompass social media marketing into actual classes. The education system has altered so much since I used to play truant Azzy.
  32. One of the amazing things about the internet is the fact that you can have a site that is a social site for beer lovers. Apart from the GBBF this is the best pub around. Trouble is you have to provide your own beer. I can't wait until someone invents Beer Wonka Vision. Call it Drinka Vision. I'm off to the patent office.
  33. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I know, I'll fox them!

On topic: I only signed up for Facebook and Twitter to keep track of all things beer. My local shop posts new stuff they get in on FB and then they'll hold whatever you post asking for.....it's fantastic.
  34. I feel a very large percentage of drinkers don't want to jump into the deep end with a dedicated beer site, but instead mix their interests in with their ongoing lifestyle.
    BreakingBad likes this.
  35. The follow up question is why doesn't everyone use it?
  36. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

It's hard to teach an old dog new tricks.
    franklinn and BeerGogglesReviews like this.
  37. Note to self... Get job at Stone Brewery... Or will that be the ruination of me?
  38. brewbetter

brewbetter Savant (400) Nauru Jun 2, 2012

Can a method of advertising be a viable method of advertising for an industry?

A more interesting questions would be, "Can the over-usage of social media be detrimental to brewery?"
    beertunes and BeerGogglesReviews like this.
  39. It's so unbelievable to folks that ARE on social media (obviously all of us typing comments here) that they fail to see the fact that there actually still people stuck in the past.
    OK, not exactly carrier pigeons and smoke signals, but a very low or non existing social presence.
    Whereas some breweries have a dedicated social media staff.