1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Can Social Media Be A Viable Promotional Tool For Breweries?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BeerGogglesReviews, Oct 5, 2012.

1. If you are replacing the phrase 'social media' with your phrase 'a method of advertising', your question becomes, "Can the over-usage of 'a method of advertising' be detrimental to brewery?"
    Is there such a thing as to much brand awarenesss.

2. brewbetter

brewbetter Savant (410) Nauru Jun 2, 2012

That's the right question I was asking, but I don't know the answer. With too much brand awareness, they could possibly lose their original high-margin fan base.

BeerGogglesReviews likes this.
  3. This is like asking, "Can a sewage system be a viable alternative to river squatting?"

EVERY craft brewery should be engaged in social media! It beats paid advertisements every day of the week.

4. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

Totally. The Web ( meaning brewery's actual website ) is horrible for finding out what breweries have going on. Facebook is instant. The last several Alpine releases hit Facebook and Facebook only. They spread from there to here.

5. harperman69

harperman69 Savant (355) Tennessee Feb 11, 2009

I have a page that is devoted to almost nothing but breweries, beerpubs and bars.

6. loki993

loki993 Aficionado (240) Michigan Apr 16, 2009

If this is true then they are doing themselves a great disservice. I used to be a total magazine whore, Id buy 3 or 4 a month sometimes. I cant tell you the last time I bought a magazine, its been years. Magazines usually have a 3 month lead time. I can count on one had how many times I've opened the one of 15 yellow different pages I have, a different but relevant in its own right problem entirely, and I never read the local newspaper, though I'm sure a lot of people still do. Fact is everythings on the internet now....

Facebooks stock price has more to do with some issues the company is having and some of the things that came to light in the IPO, that and the fact that I think a lot of people felt it was overvalued from the start...not its usage....

7. Is there any chance you can give me details?

8. Lots of very small breweries are too busy brewing and delivering beer to have much time to devote to marketing, whether old-fashioned or social media.

9. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Savant (455) Oregon Aug 17, 2005

I don't believe that for a second. You certainly don't have to respond to every Twitter post that mentions you, but it takes less than 5 minutes to log in to Facebook, type "We're releasing our new Grande Mocha Frappaccino Stout today!", and hit post. Hell, I've seen brewers post FB updates from their phone while they're standing in my office waiting for me to cut them a check for the keg they just dropped off.

10. Twitter is great for finding out about new beers, brewery events, and where different beers end up on tap (especially with bars with high turnover taps). It creates interest and, best of all, it's a way to communicate with both your target market (the people you want to drink your beer who do not already) and your loyal and, more importantly, your occasional customers. Sometimes Brewery X (who I like) will post something interesting on twitter and I will actually find myself saying, "oh, I like Brewery X and I haven't had anything from them in a while, I should pick up a 6-pack of their beer!"

I mean, you don't have to go around "cheers-ing" everyone every time they check into your beer on untappd, but it's always nice to be reminded that the brewery cares that people are enjoying their beer. It's nice when you're having a Weihenstephan and your phone vibrates to let you know they noticed your check-in. It's not a big thing, but, I dunno, it's just a nice little touch. Not like I need more persuading to drink more Weihenstephan...

11. cubbyswans

cubbyswans Savant (370) Missouri Jun 10, 2008

Yeah but the people who aren't embracing it probably aren't going to answer 'no' to the posed question either.

12. I don't understand how a business would be able to turn a decent profit these days without using social media. Unless their product was just that good where all it needs is old-fashioned word-of-mouth. It's become essential to use.

13. harperman69

harperman69 Savant (355) Tennessee Feb 11, 2009

Just
    just my facebook page Oliver Klosoff.

14. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,130) Washington Sep 24, 2007

It's easy to get lost in the noise. I've got over 600 FB friends, and most are beer related. Some days as I'm going through my feed, I forget who is telling me what. If you get 5-10 notices relatively close together, which stick in your mind? It can be useful, it can also be just more noise.

15. Welcome to the club

16. MLucky

MLucky Savant (380) California Jul 31, 2010

Oh hail yes. And as an experienced marketing professional, I'd be glad to outline social media marketing plan for any interested brewing companies, for a nominal fee.

In all seriousness, any brewery not doing social media marketing at this point is seriously missing the boat. It is a perfect format for craft brewers. It's trickier than it looks to do it right, and it takes more resources (mostly somebody's time) than you might expect to really make it work, but in comparison to more traditional advertising and promotion, it's still a bargain.

BeerGogglesReviews and franklinn like this.
  17. Thats a very solid point mate. I think that even a hour a week though helps plug in a direct interface with customers. So many people follow breweries to keep up with their news. All thats needed is a video, picture or blog regarding a recent beer release and kerching. A simple post onto the Facebook CAMRA page hits a targeted audience of over10,000 real ale drinkers.

18. And thats why they are invisible to potential customers, and their customers are invisible to them.

19. I am linked to neary 3000 on Facebook and find it very easy to navigate. My most common interactions seem to bubble to the surface. It must be a system thing.

20. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,130) Washington Sep 24, 2007

I guess I was looking at it more from the breweries view than I made clear. How does a brewery do something to stand out from the other hundreds of brewery notices I get. One South American brewery I "like" always posts pictures of scantly-clad, well-developed young ladies. I don't read Spanish, but I want to go to Happy Hour sometime! When potential costumers are getting 6-8 local bars/breweries saying "come down for Happy Hour, we're putting WXYZ Beer on tap!", at the same time, how do I make my bar/brewery stand out from the rest, given the visual limitations of FB?

21. that's incredibly offensive. i would like to know their name so i can visit their facebook page and perform research for my outrage.

22. Yes. I'm outraged as well and would like to see these women so I know how offended I should be.

23. aasher

aasher Champion (910) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

I'm the beer buyer for great craft store and it is HUGE for us. We tweet everything from personal bottles of mine, glassware, to sales, or fun beer news. Everyone wins!

24. Lordkrystic

Lordkrystic Savant (275) Washington Jul 18, 2012

Check out Cascades Tap it Tuesdays on YouTube. Bad assery at its finest.

25. Lordkrystic

Lordkrystic Savant (275) Washington Jul 18, 2012

26. benbking

benbking Savant (295) Massachusetts Dec 11, 2009

Did your local Pony Express office get burned down again?

franklinn likes this.
  27. In my humble opinion, I think the secret is, rather than stand out, look to blend in instead. People love to be pally with a bar manager or brewer. They love to get insights from backstage. Semi naked Coors Light twins aren't impressing people anymore. Beer has to be good firstly, then customer loyalty is strengthened by brand awareness, product exposure and informality.

28. Whilst furiously typing an angry post with my left hand.

29. I think some simply fear techology. Up until 3 years ago, I only used my computer to write and wasn't on the internet at all. Now I'm all over it like an addict. It's just a matter of diving in. Then you realise how important and accessible it is.
    As you say, just a few moments is all that's needed.