Can someone give me a breakdown on Casey?

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by supramkivtt2jz, Jun 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. supramkivtt2jz

supramkivtt2jz Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2014 Alabama

I'll be visiting CO in late July and plan on making a run out to Casey. Can someone give me a breakdown on their beers? Which are their staples? Which are seasonals? Which are the more sought after offerings?

2. omgeezo

omgeezo Initiate (0) Apr 22, 2013 Colorado

They will be closed. They are only open the first Saturday of every month. You may find some success tracking down their 'shelf' beers depending on the part of CO you are visiting

3. supramkivtt2jz

supramkivtt2jz Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2014 Alabama

I'll actually be out there the first. Looks to be the first Saturday of the month. Which are considered to be their shelf beers?

I don't have any real reason to visit Colorado, I just like the state. I was supposed to visit my sister in Denver but she moved and I still have plane tickets

4. southdenverhoo

southdenverhoo Maven (1,363) Aug 13, 2004 Colorado

The first Saturday of July. Is the 4th, are they open that day?

5. Kramerbarthomer

Kramerbarthomer Pooh-Bah (2,092) Mar 22, 2012 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Trader

6. 3bthero

3bthero Initiate (0) Dec 25, 2012 Colorado

If any of Troy's beers are on shelves probably will be saison, east bank, or maybe oak theory. Rarely do these bottles sit on shelves for long though.

tylerstravis likes this.
  7. 3bthero

3bthero Initiate (0) Dec 25, 2012 Colorado

To add further the different fruit stand variants would be seasonal depending on fruit harvest. The most sought after offerings are definitely the cut variants.

tylerstravis likes this.
  8. tylerstravis

tylerstravis Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2014 Colorado

You can usually find Saison sitting on the shelf at Mile High.

East Bank Makes it to the shelf every once it a while.

Oak Theory and Brett Loves Citra have been sold out of Denver stores, but I don't think they literally touched any shelves :slight_smile:

9. LFinCO

LFinCO Initiate (0) Jul 2, 2014 Colorado

Small Batch Liquors has Saison and East Bank right now. Mile High has Saison. That's probably all you will find in Denver. Based on the bottle limits for the July release, it seems like Troy is increasing production on The Cut.

Your best bet might be to work out an IP trade with someone who can snag some bottles for you now, especially East Bank which won't be around much longer.

10. theothermatt

theothermatt Initiate (0) Feb 24, 2014 Colorado

After talking with Troy yesterday, his goal is to move further and further away from any Front Range distro and stick to just giving bottles to High Country stores.

You can still find bottles of Saison, East Bank, and Oak Theory at BC in Frisco and Coopers in Glenwood Springs.

11. sprezzatura

sprezzatura Initiate (0) Aug 18, 2011 Maryland

Was fortunate enough to get a chance to meet Troy and try his upcoming Cut release. It was a fantastic beer like everything else Ive had the opportunity try. Dedicating a day to hangout riverside at Casey? -- I cant think of many better ways to spend the holiday.

12. southdenverhoo

southdenverhoo Maven (1,363) Aug 13, 2004 Colorado

There are some very high-end and nice restaurants in this dusty ol' cowtown who are going to be sorry to hear that. Fruition for one. Maybe Troy will find a way to at least maintain a "fine dining" presence down here.

13. theothermatt

I just think that he meant he would like to keep it small enough that his stuff isn't piled up in Denver stores like some other breweries. I know he has a great relationship with a few stores/restaurants and would rather expand his high country presence than just add another Denver store to his distribution.

14. Domingo

Domingo Grand Pooh-Bah (4,206) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Society

Breweries like Hill Farmstead didn't get where they are because they're on the shelf. The limited nature of things builds a bit of mystique. Not that I wouldn't love to have have his stuff all over the place, but I see this as calculated and kind of brilliant.
    Think of those threads where people claimed there were no CO walez. Well, we've got at least a few more now. That's going to drive demand and allow to to expand if/how he wants.
    I think it's a novel approach. It doesn't exactly line-up with my personal driving/buying habits, but I think it's smart.

alexipa and tylerstravis like this.
  15. djs467

djs467 Initiate (0) Mar 1, 2011 Colorado

I personally not a huge fan of what Casey is doing. Scarcity marketing 101.

There is absolutely no reason to drive 3hours from Denver to Glenwood once a month when we have 200 or so ample breweries within an hour of town. There beers are great, but worth a 3-hour drive? Especially when I can go to the Source and drink CS, which has a very similar lineup of beers.

16. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Grand Pooh-Bah (4,216) May 19, 2005 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Kinda sounds like, "don't like city, gonna stay here". But what'll probably happen is city comes to the mountains for his beer, which will tarnish the "not city" aspect. Like a Catch 22 type of thing.
    OR maybe he doesn't give a poo and wants to make beer where he wants to. Thanks Obama :sunglasses:

spoony, buttesnake and tylerstravis like this.
  17. theothermatt

Hey guys, sorry to scare up a storm... I didn't mean to make it seem like this is scarcity marketing or something nefarious....

Troy still wants to make sure his beers make it to Denver, but he wants to sell more at releases for the people that make it up there, which will likely mean less bottles making it out of the Roaring Fork Valley and down into Denver. He says specifically that beer will still be going to restaurants. I know specifically that he has been working on keg conditioning...

Pretty much, if you want beer, you should make the trip up to Glenwood every once in a while. The town is great and the releases are a great way to meet people.

TDavEdMac likes this.
  18. theothermatt

Troy just wants to reward people that come up for the Saturday releases. It keeps more bottles in the hands of the people that have supported him and Glenwood Springs. It's not really building mystique... come up on July 4th and you can walk out with nearly two cases of beer.

McNazz and tylerstravis like this.
  19. Domingo

Domingo Grand Pooh-Bah (4,206) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Society

The mystique thing came from an interview:
    http://www.denverpost.com/fitness/ci_28362626/casey-brewing-and-blending-finds-sweet-life-sour
    It's no accident. Yes, he's rewarding the people that drive up there, but there's something to keeping a fair number of limited beers as part of your line-up. Especially when you're bottling them and are fully aware of where many of them will go after people leave. After all, those releases are the only way to get certain bottles. I think it's as much marketing strategy as it is a thank you for supporting the community...and that isn't a bad thing. He's taking his passion and tossing in quite a bit of geek savvy with it.

TDavEdMac and dauss like this.
  20. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Grand Pooh-Bah (4,216) May 19, 2005 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I don't know if "rewarding" is the best term, unless the beer is free! :wink:

tacosandbeer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.