1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Can stores buy brewery only releases and sell at their store?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by raczkowski, Feb 14, 2013.

1. raczkowski

raczkowski Savant (340) Florida May 16, 2011

Just curious there is a place in Tampa that is selling BA big sound for 25 per bottle, 5 more than what Ccb sold them for. Is this even legal? They also have moat water in the back and say they don't want to sell it yet bc they don't want people to buy it up and trade it. I've never been to this store and will not support their decisions. Just curious if what they are doing is even legal??

2. Most states' ABC rules require licensed retailers to only buy beer from in-state licensed wholesalers. Doesn't appear that Florida allows for breweries to self-distribute, so Cigar City would not be a legal wholesaler if that is the case in Florida. Check with Florida's Division of Alcoholic Beverages and Tobacco or with Cigar City or their local Florida distributor.

3. joshodonn

joshodonn Savant (310) Florida Jan 21, 2011

If you've never been to the store how do you know what's in the back?

I am by no means qualified to answer this but from what I understand it is illegal for them to sell anything that was not obtained from a distributor...

The Moat Water was distributed some, so there is no problem with them having it/holding on to it, once they buy it from JJ Taylor it is up to the retailer as to when they want to sell it... AFAIK the BA Big Sound was NOT sent out for distribution, it was brewery only so there is definitely something suspect with that. I would guess that if CCB found them selling this that they could be cut off from future CCB distribution

4. GatorBeer

GatorBeer Savant (350) Florida Feb 2, 2010

I saw a store down south selling Hunahpu for ~$30-40 (I forget) after the release. I emailed CCB and got a response which was pretty much "thanks" but as far as I know they didn't do anything about it. Maybe they do a little deal with some places, not sure. But this place definitely still gets CCB.

5. raczkowski

raczkowski Savant (340) Florida May 16, 2011

6. Deltoro

Deltoro Savant (340) Florida Sep 15, 2012

I know what place you're talking about. The owner runs that place very oddly but he's aware the gold mine of the moat water hence his hoarding it. He's never consistent with his stocking and that won't change. I've gotten used to him he used to grind my gears as well but now he's alright to me, also a five minute walk from my place doesn't hurt either. Idk if your friend is the one from Orlando who drove all the way there for moat water just to get turned down but he said that left with other stuff so it wasn't too bad I guess lol. All in all he's runs a consistent although sloppy operation.

7. powpig2002

powpig2002 Savant (360) Florida Jan 26, 2012

is it legal? who cares. do you ever go over the speed limit? no one MUST buy said beer or patronize said shop. shop in tarpon had a couple of bottles of hanahpu for $30 dollars last year. they had NO trouble getting rid of them. i wouldn't pay it but, supply and demand.

Deltoro likes this.