1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Canadian Beers: The Best and the Worst

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Brianhophead, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Been on a Canadian craft beer kick for the last week or so. I'm trying to find the flat out best beers Canada has to offer and already have a couple nibbles on the hook.

What I'm wondering though is what are your guys' Most favorite Canadian beers and what are your Least favorite Canadian beers. And what is it you do or don't like about these beers?
  2. HomeBrewed

HomeBrewed Savant (355) Minnesota Dec 10, 2006

Worst Canadian beer: Lucky Lager
    Best Canadian beer: La Fin Du Monde
    Organdrew likes this.
  3. adamdarcy

adamdarcy Savant (425) Michigan Feb 26, 2008

I have wanted the Péché Mortel (Mortal Sin) from Dieu du ciel for I don't know how long!!!! ISO!!!!
  4. Pretty much anything from Dieu Du Ciel and Unibroue do the trick for me. Highlights would be DDC Peche Mortel, Aphrodisiaque, Rescousse and Blanche Du Paradis. For Unibroue I find that Trois Pistoles, Maudite and La Fin Du Monde are out of this world.
    steve8robin and hardy008 like this.
  5. cubbyswans

cubbyswans Savant (340) Missouri Jun 10, 2008

Dieu De Ceil makes some outstanding brews. Peche Mortel is my favorite Canadian brew. I'm not a huge fan of Unibroue but there's nothing wrong with their beers.
  6. I saw a bunch of bottles the other day for the first time in a while, I can check back and maybe work something out.
  7. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (695) New York Dec 2, 2009

aren't there a lot of brewpubs up there?

as for imports, dieu du ciel and unibroue are both great, but i'd want to hear from locals about the best things that don't make it to bottles.
  8. I love Driftwood's Singularity

Big and boozy just how I like my BA stouts
  9. tone77

tone77 Advocate (570) Pennsylvania May 20, 2009

I have to agree with Unibroue beers. My favorites being Noire De Chambly, Don de Dieu, and Trois Pistoles. Also Red Racer IPA from Central City Brewing is top notch. I have not had anything to offensive, the worst being Molson Canadian Light and Labatt Blue Light.
    hardy008 likes this.
  10. socon67

socon67 Advocate (600) New York Jun 18, 2010

Peche Mortel
    Red Racer IPA
    for lesser known craft craft I'd say Propeller ESB, Garrison Imp IPA.
    I am really not liking the skunky smell of Moosehead, and Alexander Keith's stuff (what is actually made in Canada) is pretty lame to me.
  11. I'll throw some different ones out there- Driftwood Brewing's Old Cellar (best), Labbatt Bleue (worst).
  12. Due to Quebec's import issues, my answers will solely reflect Quebec beer.
    Best: may have to go to La Buteuse Brassin Special (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/13605/51448), a calvados barrel-aged Tripel with brett, from Le Trou Du Diable
    Worst (in craft beer): I'll have to go with DumDuminator from Brasseurs Illimites... a boozy mess with all sorts of off flavors... 13 bucks a bomber. Thank-you, but for that price I can get a bottle of Dominus Vobiscum Lupulus or Hibernus from Charlevoix.
    Honorable Mention: At Dieu Du Ciel earlier in the Summer they were serving a collaboration on tap between them and The Alchemist (yes, makers of Heady Topper) called "Morality". It was, as you probably guessed, an American IPA... WOW was it every good. Just an explosion of Mango, Pineapple and other tropical fruits, delicious.
  13. Forgot to even mention Morality. Wow. That was one of the easiest to drink, most flavorful beers I've ever had. I was lucky enough to drink a ton of it while they had it on..I have a feeling they will be making more! Also, I know that the DDC guys were in Vermont at Hill Farmstead (twitter)- hoping for a collab there, too!
  14. DumDuminator is Brasseurs du Temps isn't it?

15. Yes it is.

To the OP, the selection is vast and there's not one beer i'd pick out over another. Driftwood, Central City & DDC are standouts for me for bottled (and in DDC's case, tap also) as most of their beers are consistently great. Yukon is another that does some good stuff. Too many to name.

For Unibroue, i like it and it is the grandaddy of the craft beer scene in Quebec (though now owned by international corporations) and their beers are quality ones for sure but it would be nice if they could think outside of the box even if it was just one-offs (a lambic by them would be interesting).

Worst? One of them is Alexander Keith's only because it's the only one i've had in recent memory. The branding hints at ancestral traditions but is just completely flavorless IMO.
    MasterSki likes this.
  16. Yeah sorry, made a mistake there, DumDuminator is Brasseurs du Temps. I was so pissed to have spent that much on a single bomber of non-barrel-aged beer, especially with all of the other selections I could have taken. Could have gone to the SAQ and bought 3 bottles of Aventinus for that price... :(

And yeah I agree with you papat444, Unibroue is big enough that it can easily afford to try something interesting. I mean, I enjoy 17 and all but it's not like they pushed the boundaries of creativity there...
  17. For me, anything from what Trou du Diable is making is pretty awesome and close to perfection. Never had a bad brew for them, on tap or in bottle. Its simply amazing! Wish I lived in Shawinigan! :) I would always spend my evening nights there.

Regarding Brasseurs du Temps, I did tasted some great beers, unfortunately the last bottle I had from them, Trois Portages, was not up to par to what I'm used from them... the bottle refermentation didn't work, it appears.

DDC, another good pick.

Worst for me is Breughel brewery beers. They are simply awful... no disrespect, but its not good.

Cheers!
    Eric
  18. My favourite Canadian beer is probably Dominus Vobiscum Lupulus. Red Racer IPA and Peche Mortel are definitely up there, though.

Least favourite is a bit harder to pick out... do gluten-free beers count? Because Nickel Brook's is one of the most vile-tasting things I've ever consumed. If not, I'd probably have to go with Trafalgar Cherry Ale, which has an aftertaste that reminds me of vomit.

Bow Valley Strong is pretty awful too, even by malt liquor/strong lager standards.
  19. red racer esb ( which just won gold at the world beer cup ) is outstanding. i'd say the worst canadian beer is any molson product or pacific-western product.

i'd also add any cellared unibroue to the top tier. I recently had a 3 year cellared Trois Pistoles and it was just incredible. So developed and complex.... drool.
  20. hoser

hoser Savant (380) Alberta (Canada) Feb 17, 2003

It is really cool to see all the breweries we work with get some love here although Alberta and Saskatchewan aren't getting Central City anymore. http://www.artisan-ales.com/index.htm.
    As for me I will pick breweries we don't work with I really like Driftwood Tug Boat and the worst has to be Ambers Sap Maple Vampire.
  21. red racer and mad thom are both great IPAs in my opinion, but my favourite canadian beer would have to be black creek's porter, I've heard their stout and rifleman's ration (brown ale) are also good, the porter wouldn't win accolades from most BAs, but it's really tasty, and goes down well.

As for worst, if we include macros, I'd say carling or lucky lager, if we don't include macros, I'd say Laker.

While I'm on the subject of the Brick - their waterloo dark lager is absolutely mediocre on its own in my opinion, but when it's paired with food - especially some of the heartier meats like some ribs or a good burger or some pulled pork - it seems to be absolutely amazing.
    matthaslaservision likes this.
  22. the worst have beer mentioned.

My favs include:
    Le Trou du Diable - La Buteuse
    LTM - Baltic Porter
    Alley Kat - Full Moon Pale Ale (the hoppier versions)
    Phillips - Amnesiac dipa
    Mt. Begbie - Bob's your dunkel
    Half Pints - Humulous Ludicrous, Black Galaxy, Pothole Porter
    Red Racer IPA
  23. Favourite Canadian Beer - Driftwood's "Singularity" best beer buzz ever !

Least favourites -(tie) Molson Canadian , Labatts Blue the taste bland and watery , not enough craft.
    Rutager and Zimbo like this.
  24. Top Canadian Beers?
    Half Pints Demeter's Harvest
    La Fin du Monde
    DDC Peche Mortel/Bourbon Barreled Peche Mortel
    Trois Pistoles
    Driftwood Singularity
    Amsterdam/Flat Rock Cherry Imperial Stout (one-off, unfortunately)
    DDC Otsukaresama Bi-Ru (another one-off I believe, but a brilliant plum sour)
    Red Racer
    Anything Howe Sound
    Anything from Charelvoix's Dominus Vobiscum series.
    Rutager likes this.
  25. do you mean Fat Tug?
  26. Haven't had anything from Driftwood that I haven't loved. Another vote for Lupulus too, that's just a really well put together beverage.
  27. The best has to be Driftwood's Singularity though for everyday drinking I have to go with Fat Tug or Lighthouse's Switchback. You can also add Creemore Springs Kellerbeer to my Fave list. Worst is probably Caribou lager : cheap and nasty ( Bowen Island IPA and the Hemp Golden Ale are cheap but not nasty)
  28. Central City Red Racer IPA
    Muskoka Mad Tom IPA

alot of the beers coming out of Bellwoods brewery
  29. I just got back from the liquor store and picked up some Peche Mortel along with a half dozen other things.
  30. Central City's Red Racer IPA and Driftwood's Fat Tug IPA are both top notch.
  31. Unibroue is tops for me. La Fin Du Monde and Trois Pistoles are tied. Don de Dieu is a close second (for some reason it has become impossible to find in Vancouver over the past year+ :( ).

Glad someone mentioned Howe Sound. King Heffy has been my favourite summer beer for the past few years and Three Beavers is another favourite seasonal of mine...sadly I haven't seen it this or last year :(

Boomer's Canadian Red Ale was also something special, but it isn't even on the HS official website any more, so it may have been a one-off. :(
  32. I am in Quebec/Montreal area at least 8 times per year, and have enjoyed the craft-brew culture there, along with its related beer fests for 13 years now. Since I live just below the Quebec border, my list reflect my geocentric responses. As of today, having attended my 13th Chambly Beer Fest, my now-updated faves are:

Brewery: Boque Biere (Sherbrooke) and Dieu du Ciel (Montreal) - unusual ingredients/original styles & collaborations
    Brewpub/Resto: Trou du Diable (Shawinigan) - gorgeous menu with stellar beers
    Brewpub: Benelux (Montreal) - hip, fun and friendly staff. Affordable quality beers, and collaborate w/ US craft brewers
    Bottled Beers: Brasserie Charlevoix (Baie St. Paul) and Trou du Diable - labor-intensive sours & bba, pricey but worth it!
    Draft Beers: BrouHaHa (Montreal) and Hopfenstark (L'Assomption) - wild twists on classics, and interesting new recipes
    Gluten-Free (best I've had in US or CN) Bieres Sans Gluten (Montreal) - you would never know it is millet-based
    La Buteuse and Dulcis Succubus from TdD, and Rouge de Cantons Est from Boque Biere are my all-time favorite bottles offerings to take home. Still enjoy much of Unibroue, but a bit tired of it after many years - love their 2 beer-cusine restaurants, though - including an excellent selection of pairing-worthy cheeses and wild game selections.
  33. Okay, those of you who've mentioned Peche Mortel from Dieu Du Ciel may well be officially correct. This is one of the most wonderful beers I've had in a long time. It may even supplant Old Rasputin as one of my favorite Imperial Stouts.

Thank you for making me aware of this magnificent beer
  34. Worst: IPA's from Quebec.
    Best: Peche mortel, La Fin, Red Racer IPA
  35. Which one? That's a pretty broad generalization. Some of the best IPAs are on tap IMO.
  36. Chaman and Corne du diable come to mind.
  37. Dude, I'm SO frakking glad someone else has the same opinion as me regarding Carne Du Diable. It's really not a good IPA, it tastes more like a really malty Scottish ale, and not a great Scottish ale at that.
  38. On tap it's good, bottle so-so. The best IPAs here are mostly on tap IMO. Benelux, Dunham and DDC (Mea Culpa is a stand out for me) lead the pack.
  39. Best:

Driftwood's Bird of Prey
    TdD La Buteuse Barrel Aged (not the non-aged one...that one is not good)
    TdD's saison with brett (i forget what its called..has a girl/angel on the front)

Worst? seriously, where do i begin.
  40. Dulci Succubus is the brett beer. Their Imperatrice RIS is very good as well.