1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

CANBIF 2013 Hints & Hauls

Discussion in 'Beer It Forward' started by Phyl21ca, Apr 4, 2013.

1. This thread should be used for hints and hauls. We ask that every participant post in this thread to provide helpful hints to their trading partner.

Also, please remember that shipping should occur between April 6th and April 20th. If you are shipping to MB, SK or AB please check with us before shipping as cold weather is a concern and we don't want any beer freezing in transit.

Pairings should be out by tomorrow or Fridy at the latest.

Any other questions? Feel free to send Marcus or myself a message.

2. Ok i will start.

I really enjoy a good saison, wild ale, anything hoppy (as long as its really fresh) a good barleywine or stout.

Make it fun!

Cheers

David

3. Myself... I like anything with a good punch of flavour. IIPA's, RIPA, WIPA, barley/wheat wines, IS. I love hops, but beers with hop subs like gruits are cool or an interesting lager. Ontario doesn't get a ton from the other provinces. It is getting better, so getting something new is exciting. The only thing I am not a fan of is wilds/sours/lambics.

To the person I am sending too, the goods are here, boxed, and will be out next week!!!

I shall not disappoint!

FondueVoodoo likes this.
  4. Wants & gots are super current, also have handy dandy spreadsheets in my profile for the undecided :D

I like unconventional brews, like experimenting. Love stouts, rye, wilds, saisons, doppelbocks. I also might be one of the only BAs that likes a GOOD brown ale (a much maligned style here). Anything low ABV should be fresh if possible. If i haven't reviewed it and it's good, gotta try it!

Had recently completed the Top 50 Canada until a new entry appeared, i'll let you guess ;)

Let the beer games begin!

5. I have sent most of the targets out (22/30) and I am going blind so I will have to pick it up in the morning. They have gone out in the order which you entered the BIF. Everyone should have their target by tomorrow morning.

Electros and korguy123 like this.
  6. I'm a fan of pretty much anything, love trying new stuff. Belgians, stouts Ipas, saisons, sours. The Flickr account in my profile has photos of many of the brews I've tried. I like the experimental stuff too.

7. My wants are up to date (although I would consider this more of a wish list than a want list) as are my got's. I am generally open to trying anything, especially small micro brews that are not available out west. My favourites are Belgian styles (tripels, quads, saisons), IPA's/DIPA's, RIS and anything unique. We are also enjoying sours and wild ales of late.

I generally review everything I try so if I haven't reviewed it (or list it as a got) then chances are I've never had it.

8. My hads list is all done on ratebeer under the same moniker (here). I'm not looking for anything particular, the things I enjoy the most are fresh IPA, nice porters and stouts (imperials of all are great!), saisons and sours. Things I enjoy the least are belgian strong ales and overly sweet barley wines. I enjoy everything, who am I kidding? If you're from GTA, I'd love to try some Bellwood's stuff as I've heard a lot of great things!

I've also got some special request with shipping because I'll be away for vacation, but the guys should pass on that info, if not...just ask!

9. I recently jammed a whole bunch of beers into my wants, but really, send anything you want. If you think it's good, I am game. My profile mentions my likes and dislikes. IPAs are kinda "meh" for me, but I'll try anything once. The only IPAs I have liked so far are "Leo's Early Breakfast IPA" from Dunham, which was decent, and the Dieu du Ciel/Alchemist collab "Morality", which blew my mind (tropical IPAs are godly). Malty is generally good (RIS, English Barleywine, Wee Heavy) and like papat, I too enjoy the much-maligned Brown Ales! I am a sucker for vanilla or coconut anything. Like I said before though: whoever you are, I trust you.

FondueVoodoo likes this.
  10. Hit me with whatever you think is tasty beer. Unless you enjoy Heffe's of course, fuck that spiced banana shit. ;)

First hint, my box will be headed east from my location. Yep, east...

11. Well, I added 50 beers to my want list last week. I think roughly half of them are Canadian, and I tried to go coast to coast for a little variety. As you'll see I'm big on IPA's and will take literally anything sour...anything. Saisons are another style that's quickly becoming a favourite. Coffee is a big plus for stouts/porters, vanilla not so much. Hads outside of Ontario is a pretty thin list limited to what the LCBO gets (gonna add a few now, though). That said, I'm open to pretty much anything. At the end of the day I'm just trying to get into the trading game more and stoked to be a part of this.

I think that covers it. I think I'm putting a decent box together as of right now.

12. I like pretty much anything other than barleywines it seems. I just can't seem to get into them. Favorites are saisons, (D)IPA's, wheat beers (Hef's,etc), lambics, bourbon stouts/RIS, anything tasty really. If you send me your "go-to" beers from your neck of the woods for example, I'm sure I'll be happy!

One request: I have quite a bit of high ABV (14%+) beer on hand, so would love to get some lower (5-7%) stuff to try if available. Not to say that if you have something awesome that is high ABV not to send it, but if you have to chose between sending a 5-6% awesome sour/saison/etc and a 15% awesome bourbon aged stout, at this point I'd probably appreciate the former more than the later*. Crazy, I know...:cool:

13. I guess my target should try and hit any Canadian wants, anything from the Canadian Top 50 I haven't tried yet or anything new from around Canada that hasn't got too much press. Send me some Canada love!

Favourite styles are saisons, sours/wilds, stouts of all shapes and sizes and well executed Belgian, German or UK styles. If there is a barleywine headed my way, I'm partial to the English subset. Always open to IPAs (of any type), so long as they're fresh! Smoked beers are great too. The only thing I'm adverse to is anything heavy on black licorice/anise type flavours. Other than that, I'm open to almost anything :)

14. Being new to Canada I haven't had a beer outside of B.C. I like pretty much every style, although less so with Scotch Ales or Pale Ales, Hefe's, Lagers. I should be easy!

15. I like to try almost all styles. Only ones that are difficult for me to take are overly sweet beers (guess you can read some barley wines and most Scotch Ales). Preferences are to IPA's, Stouts (imperial and regular), sours, Belgians and saisons. That being said....it would be hard to disappoint me with whatever I get.

16. What if it's made by A la fut? ;)

17. I enjoy almost all styles but my favorites are saison/wild/sour, stouts of any kind, fresh IPA/DIPA, barleywine, hefe, belgians of all sorts, porter...my wants are up to date and am happy to try anything I haven't yet just looking forward to some new beers from Canada.

18. I am not a big fan of Barley wines or black ipa's. Anything else is fair game.

19. I'll drink just about anything (minus smoke beers and anything licorice forward) I'm a sucker for anything with vanilla and any citrus forward ipas. Barrel aged anything of course. If my sender is buying swag I'm an XL. Still waiting for my target, can't wait for the weather to warm up again.

20. My wants are up to date, it will give you at least a good idea of the styles I like. I don't have a favorite style, it all depends on my mood and the beer itself but I always appreciate a good english barleywine, stout (imperial too), fresh IPA, sour and barrel aged anything. The only exception is smoked beer (unless I'm BBQing) that I don't really care about, but maybe you have the smoked beer that'll make me change my mind!

21. Assuming I will get my target this morning and then I can post a hint...

As for me I'm happy with anything tasty I haven't rated, here are all the beers I've rated and here are the subset of Canadian beers. Preference goes to things in a barrel, barleywines, DIPA (if fresh), RIS, sours, saison and belgian strong ales.

Also I'd love to get my last style tick if anyone has access to a German Kristallweizen.

If, and only if, you feel like sending an extra bottle or two I wouldn't object to the a terrible/interesting beer...love beers with chilli peppers in them (or other odd things), strange malt liquor or whatever you think will make me cringe (but they can't be just bad beers...we're talking epic fail here).

22. My target will get his package closer to the 20th.

Hint: My target is in the province that has the most CanBIF participants :D

23. Not only a easy hint but a near impossible hint. Well played.

24. They'll be more :)

25. Forgot to mention, i'm a sucker for fresh ESBs!

26. My package will be heading west...

27. My box is headed to a target that whose city is located geographically north of Toronto.

28. Hey guys ... just wanted to give you an update. There has been a slight delay with the remaining targets going out... not because I actually went blind last night :) but because it looks like we have to change up a couple of targets and we are trying to figure it all out. It won't impact the targets that have already been sent out, so those ones are set. The rest of you will have your targets by day's end for sure, hopefully sooner.

29. That's about as vague as my hint ;)

30. My box will be going east. I love most styles of beer, especially english barleywine/old ales, anything sour dry and austere, saison, stout etc.

31. To get away from the administrative crap for a minute...

I love American IPA/DIPA (assuming freshness of course), Imperial Stouts, Old Ales, and anything barrel aged.

I also like barley wines (prefer American to English), saisons, Belgian Dark Ales, porters, stouts and APAs.

I am not huge on sour beers, although I am starting to develop a palate for them, so I don't mind receiving a sour or two.

I generally don't like smoked beers, scotch ales, English IPA/APA.

The best hint for me is that I generally "tick" what I have tried and I am always happy to try something new. So anything that you don't see listed in my ticks that is local is welcome!!!

32. I like all type of beers except adjunct based pale lager (you can send those to pushkinwow;) )

Electros, TheSevenDuffs and korguy123 like this.
  33. A couple of hints:

- I will be shipping due West
    - My target will feel thoroughly devilish

34. Question: in the beermail with my target it said that half of the box should be locals...on the other hand I can easily fill an entire box with wants that aren't local...I know the receiver will be happy either way but just curious if that "half box" guidance for locals is fairly firm.

Hint: my target is younger then me and lives near water.

35. I would say nothing is firm and there is room for judgement. Also since I know who your target is I would say go ahead and slay his want list.

TheSevenDuffs likes this.
  36. Hint 1: My target is less than a 2 hour drive away from CAN/US border.

37. What does everyone prefer for swag? Shirts or barware?

38. Was wondering the same thing. I'm more for barware than shirts but i'll be happy with whatever gets sent my way!

39. Hopefully my target chimes in lol

40. Whoo BIF!

I love good stout, imp stout, ipa, iipa, sours are great, lagers are good provided they nail the style they are going for. I love beer, sessionable or imperial provided its good. Hell even a well crafted cream ale has its time and place.