1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Candela Rye Barleywine from Green Flash and Cigar City

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by luwak, Jan 16, 2013.

1. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2743/87643

Holy chit this was a redonkulus beer!

So much caramel and woodiness and sweet but not cloying and the rye was so smoothly coordinated (instead of being distracting as i often feel rye is in beer) and what a great mouth feel!

Garshdonkkkers its awesome!

I heard it was GABF only then it seems to get some distro in kegs. Appeared in AZ a few days ago apparently. Really an outstanding beer. If you see it anywhere get a glass.

Anybody know if this was/will be bottled?
  2. Not sure if it's being bottled. Green Flash had it at their tasting room a few weeks ago. I didn't realize what it was until after. Just saw that they had a beer I'd never heard of on tap and went for it. Not gonna lie - it was bomb.
  3. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Is this the same beer that CCB had on tap thru out December? Spanish Oak spirals or something?
  4. Yes, and it's amazing. I didn't think there could be a better beer aged on cedar besides Humidor Series Jai Alai and then this came out. Phenomenal.
  5. FLBeerGuy

FLBeerGuy Advocate (560) Florida Feb 6, 2007

At the time of the GABF release they said they had no plans to bottle or distribute it nationally.
  6. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

Well its time to see if anybody'l do a growler. Im no big fan of Green Flash but goodness boys this makes me wanna support them more.

Man now i want that Humidor Jai Alai ! Can't wait for Huna's day.
    Hope one of these two makes an appearance.

Well crap in a bathtub! I guess they can't bottle everything. But put it in a 750 and wax the baby up and you could make a pilot whale outta this one.
  7. Green Flash had it on cask in their taproom last month. It's received a great response, have to believe it will be brewed again.
  8. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Ahh yes, Spanish Cedar. This was super unique. Had a great conversation with Jake (the treatment dude at CCB) about this beer and about cedar. Cedar is unique (and deadly, with high enough ABV.) It was a nice treat.
  9. patkorn

patkorn Aficionado (200) California Aug 30, 2007

Thanks for the love on the Candela. We made this beer at Green Flash a couple of months before GABF. Green Flash and Cigar City shared an endcap at GABF this so we did this collaboration for it. Chuck and Wayne came up with the recipe and Wayne and I had an awesome 14hour brewday where we hung out,made beer,drank beer,talked about our feelings. The usual. It turned out lower in abv then we wanted but the flavor profile is spot on. It was aged on Spanish Cedar spirals. We did not bottle it. We sent it out to specialty accounts after GABF. Will we make it again? Maybe. I'm hoping to do it @ CCB next time so I can have a wonderful weekend exploring the wonders of Tampa while Wayne and I drive around in a t-top Firebird listening to metal. Pat Korn-brewer-GFBC.
  10. RASTAPHX

RASTAPHX Zealot (85) Arizona Jun 3, 2011

I respect the effort and time put into this beer, but for me it was like sucking on a cedar shoetree. Add the rye and my palate was wrecked. In fairness, i may try again because i don't often dislike beers this much, maybe it was just off?
  11. Some of this actually made it to Arizona, which surprised me. I missed it, unfortunately.