1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Canned beer popularity on the rise, nearly 53% of US beer consumption was from a can in 2011

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by Todd, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (1,440) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-...drinkers-reach-for-cans-chart-of-the-day.html

See the above link for an interactive chart of the US consumption of canned beer over the years versus bottles and draft. The article supporting the chart says that "almost 53 percent of the beer consumed in 2011 was served in an aluminum can, up from a low of 48 percent in the years leading to the economic slump that began in December 2007."

Canned beer's consumption peaked at 60% in 1991, however "the container's popularity gave way to bottles and glasses amid growing demand for foreign brews."

The article mentions the recession, proliferation of craft brewers canning, hipsters and PBR as some of the reasons why canned beer is making a comeback, while Charlie Papazian adds, "The image of beer in cans has changed ..."

Indeed it has. The current #3 on BeerAdvocate's Top Beer (Popular) list is a canned craft beer (Heady Topper, The Alchemist), which is kind of badass.

2. I try and avoid cans since the can liner contains the chemical BPA.

3. hmph

hmph Savant (265) Virginia Jun 9, 2011

BPA is most likely to leech from can lining when food or liquid is heated....don't microwave your beer and you should be fine...

smutty33 and nickapalooza86 like this.
  4. From what I have read, contamination occurs even without heating.

Heating increases the exposure greatly, most of the early reports were about heating food in plastic containers.

I try and avoid all canned products. Beer, soft drinks, canned vegetables, etc.

5. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

If given the choice I'd choose glass bottle every time unless of course where I am going doesn't allow them, or a stellar brew is only available in it, like Ten Fidy or Heady.

3leven and chuckstout like this.
  6. hmph

hmph Savant (265) Virginia Jun 9, 2011

Agreed in choosing glass over can but I wouldn't shy away from a can if I saw it.

However, I think I can taste the BPA in Sixpoint's cans.... ;)

7. Todd

We're talking minuscule amounts though. You're probably picking up more trace amounts from other things on a daily basis.

Anyway, the beer and canning industries are actively exploring alternative linings ... so hopefully cans will be BPA-free in the near future.

8. bum732

bum732 Advocate (630) Lesotho Feb 18, 2008

Wait till you find out that the liner in the inside of a bottle cap most likely contains BPA.

9. Mmmm Belgian pale ale... I need me some more BPA!

10. I hope so.

11. 2Beerguys

2Beerguys Zealot (95) Massachusetts Feb 16, 2008

12. I do not know if it is in kegs. There does not appear to be a liner in my homebrew kegs. I can see the lining in food cans.

My concern is, if we are not sure, why rush into cans over bottles possibly causing additional exposure?

Everyone seems to be touting how great moving to canned beer is. I am not so sure it is a good move.

13. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

Cans baby. Beer trading will be half the cost and time.

14. How do you figure that?

15. It takes a lot less time to throw some cans in a box then it does to carefully pack a bunch of bottles. Cans should require minimal packing, thus saving time. Maybe not half, but whatever.

16. vande

vande Advocate (510) Illinois Jan 26, 2007

Can't reach the link from work, but out of that high percentage of beer in cans being drank....how much was craft vs how much was BMC?

17. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

6 pack of cans = 1 minute to pack.

6 pack of bottles = 15 minutes to bubble wrap, secure as unit, bubble wrap unit, double box, blah

bifrost17 likes this.
  18. dauss

dauss Advocate (575) Colorado Aug 9, 2003

Most kegs are made from stainless steel, so it does not need a liner.

19. mk66

mk66 Aficionado (115) Pennsylvania May 20, 2012

I have no explanation for this, but I have found that a canned beer pairs better with a cigar than a bottled or draft beer.

Am I alone in this or has anyone else discovered this anomaly?

20. When you consider that that 53% figure includes all of the macros in cans it can appear to be a bit misleading - at least as the people who are on this website are concerned.

Antikythera likes this.
  21. ajfa531

ajfa531 Savant (300) New Jersey Jun 2, 2007

All the kegs I have taken apart, cleaned, and filled were stainless steel. The heat, PBW, and acid sanitizer would tear out any liner if there was one. (at a commercial brewery.)

- Joe

22. I know a lot of old people, and not one has ever told me they got cancer from BPA.

"The goddam can got me! Drink your beer out of a bottle, sonny, or you'll be sorry!"

Nope, never heard that.

23. I'm more worried about the water I drink than the BPA in a liner of a can.

In regards to shipping, cans are also a hell of a lot lighter. The cost of shipping 6 canned beers versus 6 bottled beers is just about half.

JCaweinstein likes this.
  24. chuckstout

chuckstout Aficionado (225) Ohio May 22, 2006

I will start buying cans, when a brewery starts passing this savings on to the customer!:)

ClockworkOrange likes this.
  25. dedrinker

dedrinker Initiate (0) Kansas May 13, 2006

yeah and most of it in bud/coors/miller/pbr cans. yay.

26. Some of my favorite beer are in a can: Furious, abrasive, torpedo, Ten Fiddy, Heady Topper. I'm not sure if it's the can but it isn't hurting them.

27. BPA is an endocrine disrupter that mimics the hormone estrogen.

As a 56 year old male I am not happy about having estrogen added to my beer consumption.

I do not see the need or wisdom of rushing to can craft beer when this is an issue.

28. Looks like you're on the bottle for a while.

chuckstout likes this.
  29. Blanco

Blanco Savant (490) Pennsylvania Oct 11, 2008

I know a lot of old people and no one I know has gotten cancer from smoking cigarettes, either. Now pass me a Camel, non-filtered.

30. afrokaze

afrokaze Advocate (620) California Jun 12, 2009

The real questionis, how much beer is consumed on the can?

mfdish likes this.
  31. BPA is in pretty much all canned product. If you eat canned food you should have no issue with canned beer.

Enjoy

32. Ranbot

Ranbot Savant (460) Pennsylvania Nov 27, 2006

The exposure is not acute, and at 56 years old you'll more than likely die of other health issues before any complications due to long-term chronic exposure to BPA from the occasional canned beer.

And if BPA really does worry you, you should really worried about a lot of other things in your environment. Like developing cancer from breathing 1,2-dichloroethene released by air fresheners and scented candles. Benzene fumes from filling your gas car's tank. If you bring dry cleaning into your home you're exposing yourself to potentially harmful levels of tetrachloroethene. All asphalt is contaminated with several bad poly aromatic hydrocarbons. Many soil and rock formations have naturally occuring arsenic that can contaminate groundwater or be harmful to breath the dust. I don't mean to make you paranoid, but the concern over BPA exposure, particularly for post-puberty adults, is way overblown. How do I know this? I'm an environmental consultant who studies these things for a living....

Besides the well know benefits for blocking light, cans have many other environmental benefits...easier to recycle and they can be transported more easily (i.e. less fuel needed for distribution)

Bring on the cans!

dianimal, MrDanno96, lionoa7x and 6 others like this.
  33. I am not worried about death.

I am concerned about extra non neccessary expose to estrogen. I avoid all canned products, beer included.

I will stick with bottles.

34. Todd

Then you should do some more research. There's a long list of foods items that you most likely consume on a daily basis that should cause you much more concern.

According to many researchers, beer is one of them. Apparently both barley and hops are rich in estrogen/estrogenic effect; especially hops.

Cheers!

JimKal and Levitation like this.
  35. Like I said before, non neccessary exposure.

To me beer is neccessary, canned products are not. I do not want the added estrogen of non natural products.

I stay away from all canned products.

Cheers!

36. Todd

Then it sounds like you've got it all worked out. Good luck.

37. That was my thought when I saw the thread title. Does this figure correlate with the price of the beer purchased, or with the brand name?

38. Probably with the brand name since prices vary from place to place.

39. I'm curious -- how much of the increase is due to craft beer? I feel that it is more likely that the sale of canned BMC-level products has risen in response to economic decline. That is to say, Joe Common-Man can no longer afford those fancy imported bottles of Heineken and St. Pauli Girl, so instead he settles for a 30-rack of Bud Light or PBR.

40. Focusf111

Focusf111 Savant (340) Vermont Jun 21, 2012

screw that, there is NOTHING like a freshly microwaved beer on a hot day! ahaha the visuals Im getting.

66jzmstr likes this.