1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Comment Cannot add Odonata Beers to "Hads"

Discussion in 'Site' started by westcoastbeerlvr, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Hi,
    I've been updating some of my Hads from old lists today, and when I tried to add a few beers from Odonata brewing (RIP), the option to add/review them is not there. It's very strange. Can you look into this?
    Thank you.

2. domtronzero

domtronzero Initiate (0) California Aug 18, 2007

As far as I understand it, you cannot review or add beers from a brewery that no longer exists. That's just the way it is.

3. Aaah. Gotcha. Strange that you can still review Retired beers from breweries that do still exist.

4. Is there a reason for this rule? I would love to add a review of a beer from a closed brewery...I mean, I have the bottle...so why not?

kojevergas likes this.
  5. MasterSki

MasterSki Site Editor (980) Ontario (Canada) Dec 25, 2006 Staff Member

The main utilities of the beer reviews on this website are a) other people can research what beers to purchase and drink (or avoid), b) bars, stores, and restaurants can research what beers their clientele want them to stock, and to a lesser extent c) breweries can know which smaller batch beers are most successful (as sales volume on small batches isn't always helpful - if it's limited production it may sell out regardless).

Since adding additional reviews to defunct breweries doesn't achieve b) and c) at all, and only nominally addresses a) to the extent that the beers are still palatable and available somewhere, they're of limited use to the community. You're welcome to discuss your experiences in the cellared/aging beer forum and keep your own records though.

6. Thanks! Out of curiosity, what would happen if I attempted to edit a review from said defunct brewery? Would it update the score of that beer?

7. MasterSki

MasterSki Site Editor (980) Ontario (Canada) Dec 25, 2006 Staff Member

You'll get an error message.