1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Cans

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Dannywhitewash, Dec 6, 2012.

1. This is probably a noob question...
    Do cans retain freshness longer than bottles?
  2. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

Zero light penetration, zero chance of any leak/failure unless hit/crushed. I'd say yes. I love cans. Wish bottles would just go away. As long as you pour it, the taste is the same. Trading would be a hell of a lot easier and cheaper too.
  3. Flashy

Flashy Advocate (525) Vermont Oct 22, 2003

I love 'em, all sizes.
    Lantern, Hanzo, Good_Trader and 2 others like this.
  4. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

Who the hell would hate cans? I know there is a stigma attached ( for no reason ) - but assuming BA's know better?
    jhartley likes this.
  5. robinsmv

robinsmv Initiate (0) Florida Jun 24, 2010

Where is woodychandler to extoll the virtues of cylindrical aluminum storage vessels when you need him?
    sliverX, PoopChute69 and franklinn like this.
  6. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (750) New York Oct 24, 2010

What this guy said.

My one caveat is for beers that will be aged or left to sit for conditioning. Theoretically the lining of cans should be, if in good condition, just as neutral as sterile glass. But I kinda like cork-and-cage 750s for some "fancy," funky stuff.
    cnbrown313 and LSUPT like this.
  7. rangerred

rangerred Savant (400) Tennessee Dec 20, 2006

The can lining does contain BPA which some people take issue with. Then again so do the undersides of bottle caps...
  8. Higy

Higy Aficionado (235) Indiana Feb 9, 2012

I expect the glass bottle to be outlawed within ten years for environmental reasons
  9. Brew33

Brew33 Advocate (610) Ohio Oct 24, 2007

Please explain. Thanks.
    ChanChan likes this.
  10. LAD

LAD Aficionado (195) Texas Apr 16, 2008

I think that was actually WoodyChandler speaking. Many people believed he worked for a can company but he really was a disgruntled janitor at a major glass company. Eventually, he was fired. Now he can be found (like who's looking) in Cognito, Wyoming where he works as a shepherd and part time soothesayer.
    Higy likes this.
  11. I heard he's now something of a flower child (but you know how rumors are) ...
    sliverX, cavedave and robinsmv like this.
  12. Luckily with craft brewing the stigma of bad bad cans is flying out of the window. Its a win win for both the brewers and consumers. Cheaper, lighter weight, more easily transported, easier to recycle (I believe)...cans are where its at. Let the swill drinkers who think ice cold "water" light/lite is better served out of a bottle stick to their guns, I will gladly accept a canned craft brew over that any day!!! I will still drink out of a glass, regardless of canned or bottled.
    Spikester and flayedandskinned like this.
  13. Higy

Higy Aficionado (235) Indiana Feb 9, 2012

A partial jest. But along the same line as banning the production of incandescent light bulbs, a move backed by makers of CFL bulbs. Glass bottles are more expensive to ship because of their fragile nature and weight to an extent. i would also imagine more expensive to produce than can. Alcoa would have a vested interest in seeing a ban on glass bottles. sound ridiculous?
  14. kreg02

kreg02 Aficionado (175) Illinois Nov 19, 2012

Nothing better than a Daisy Cutter out of a can.
    Drtfinelli, LSUPT and MagillaGriller like this.
  15. It's been asked and answered many times before - aren't kegs just large cans? And who doesn't like draft beer.
    Lantern, JustXBeer and fmccormi like this.
  16. I haven't experienced much difference in quality of the beer between brown bottles and cans.
    But, I still grab cans whenever their available over the bottled counterparts. Also, I always grab craft cans for golf, camping, hiking, etc...
    robinsmv likes this.
  17. A wine-drinking friend asked me about the coating inside beer cans - if it's not BPA-free, she asks why I would buy it? Honestly don't know what to tell her. Can anyone offer some info on health-risks of beer can liners, if any?

18. If you turn the can inside out, scrape off the lining and eat it, I imagine you'll get sick.
  19. You can have her check out Sierra Nevada's FAQ - page down to "BPA?" all the way at the bottom of the page.
    fmccormi likes this.
  20. robinsmv

To play devil's advocate technically most kegs are made out of stainless steel while cans are usually aluminum. See also: every single debate in the homebrew forum about stainless kettles vs aluminum kettles
    BeerSocrates12 likes this.
  21. OK. Picky, picky. Both are metals. I don't homebrew so I can't be bothered reading every single debate in the forum. lol.
    robinsmv likes this.
  22. Proclarush

Proclarush Savant (280) Maryland Oct 23, 2012

Honestly. For me personally, every beer out of a can taste like can. I can't get over it, I just don't like it. Glass Bottles FTW.
    Centennial likes this.
  23. robinsmv

Tl;dr in order to use an aluminum pot for brewing you have to boil water in it first so an oxide layer can form. If you don't form that protective layer the wort will react with the aluminum and creat metallic flavors in your beer. Stainless steel has a much stronger oxide layer that is already in place from the manufacturing process and is much less reactive. All of this is negated by the liners, which have their own debate going on that has already been mention in this thread
    fmccormi likes this.
  24. Because it keeps the beer fresher... duh.
    BeerSocrates12 likes this.
  25. Ask her if she's ever had a can of soda or any canned food. If she has a pet then see if she's given them canned food ever. If she says yes to anything then help her down off her high horse.
  26. You really notice the difference in freshness in BC where many euro lagers and pils such as Pilsner Urquell and Grolsch come in both bottles and tall cans. The cans win every time.
  27. Etan

Etan Advocate (745) Wisconsin Jul 11, 2011

Not to mention all the minute encounters with radiation that *could* be harmful to her health in large doses. Does she ever walk around in the sun?
  28. WickedSluggy

WickedSluggy Savant (425) Texas Nov 21, 2008

I don't care what anyone says. Cans taste like metal! Bottles have no taste at all except for the blue ones (but that might be my imagination). Still, I can't reccommend the blue ones. Cans are more difficult to sample fresh. If you use a bench grinder, you are going to taste the pulverized grinding media. You can add small pieces to a ball mill and let it run for a couple weeks, but then its not fresh, and be carefull because the dust can explode when you open it.
    tehzachatak, sliverX and ChanChan like this.
  29. fmccormi

BeerPulse published a bit on the can vs. bottle debate, specifically with the positions taken by Jim Koch (Sam Adams) / Ray Daniels (Cicerone) and Bill Manley (Sierra Nevada). I thought it was a good, if brief, overview on the whole thing: http://beerpulse.com/2012/07/sierra-nevada-on-the-cans-vs-bottles-debate/

Some people have said the plastic lining of the can absorbs some flavor, and from what I've read tests have shown that the plastic lining of bottle caps can absorb as much if not more of the flavor, as well. Feel free to check me on that if I'm wrong, but that's what I seem to recall.
    Wha . . . ?
    franklinn and FosterJM like this.
  30. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (555) California Dec 12, 2009

Is this a thing in NY?:p
    robinsmv and MagillaGriller like this.
  31. fmccormi

For what it's worth, I personally trust Sierra Nevada's take on this issue, given their reputation for ridiculously high quality control.
    whendeathsleeps likes this.
  32. Thirstygoat

Thirstygoat Savant (260) Illinois Nov 22, 2012

Recently I ordered a dozen or so beers online. That included 6 cans of Ten Fidy. Right after the UPS guy left I noticed a really good smell emanating from the carton. Though well packed one can had a small puncture. Half the beer was still in it The rest made it fine?
  33. Duesler

Duesler Savant (310) Connecticut Oct 30, 2012

I'm against making anything illegal, the variety of 12oz bottles and bombers and cans and tall boys and 750s and 40s and growlers and kegs.... makes it interesting, dont restrict the game!

34. Not yet but I'm trying to get something started.
  35. MagillaGriller

MagillaGriller Savant (315) Aug 20, 2012

Two Daisy Cutters
    Centennial, LSUPT and jhartley like this.
  36. She's a PhD in microbiology, and health issues re: food packaging are a big deal. She used to work for a big food-testing company. She buys everything in glass. Will send her to the Sierra Nevada site, though - thanks for that.
  37. fmccormi

This one, specifically: http://www.sierranevada.com/faqs_ales.asp#bpa
  38. pghlee

pghlee Savant (255) Georgia Feb 24, 2006

07 Ten Fidy still tastes fine
    BeerSocrates12 and fmccormi like this.
  39. fmccormi

Again, are you pouring it into a glass?

If so, and it still tastes like a can, then the odds are it's just in your head. Which is not an invalid factor—whatever you need to optimize your drinking experience, then so be it.
  40. ndepriest

ndepriest Savant (290) Georgia Feb 21, 2012

I think if everything moves to cans we'll start seeing prices lower for craft beers. From the places I buy it at least, Maduro has gotten around $1 cheaper since switching to cans.