1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Cans

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Dannywhitewash, Dec 6, 2012.

1. LMT

LMT Savant (330) Virginia Oct 15, 2009

I think this is a good point. I'm one of the few who really does think I can "taste" metal in any beer poured from a can.

I do believe the chemical analyses from Sierra Nevada (i.e., that there's no difference in the product), and I've concluded that...

1) Yes, it is something that is just in my head.

2) And/or possibly the can has a smell associated with it that for me, negatively affects the beer's flavor.

So for me personally, I don't often buy cans because I know that I'll probably not enjoy the beer as much as from a bottle (for these two reasons). Plus the ritual of bottle pouring is more enjoyable for me.

fmccormi likes this.
  2. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (760) New York Oct 24, 2010

Fair enough. I really do think it's important to note that difference, even if it's only perceived in this instance, is still difference. Especially if we're dealing with something like beer or food, where ultimately it's your perception of it that matters above all else, then perceived difference is entirely valid.

Me, I don't have an issue with cans, in terms of how it smells or tastes. But I do agree that it's more fun to pour from a bottle. Sometimes it's the little things, right? Cork and cage is just fancier.

3. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

There is a very simple way to know if the metal taste is in your head. Grab a can and bottle of whatever beer is packaged both ways like SNPA or Torpedo and have someone pour them for you secretly and see if you can pick out which one came out of a can.

My bet is you won't be able to consistently.

*this is coming from someone who used to hate cans*

creepinjeeper likes this.
  4. I dont have a problem w/ cans or the theory about why they are better but..
    Since they get cold faster doesnt that also mean they can get warm faster?
    Because I seem to of had many more off, oxidized/styrofoamy beers that have come from cans than ones from bottles.
    Just sayin'.

5. FanClub

FanClub Zealot (95) Indiana Nov 2, 2012

i bet they get it right half the time:)

6. dlello2

dlello2 Savant (360) Illinois Nov 11, 2011

Here's an interesting post on BPA in cans...

Kind of amazing that there's still no alternative lining.