1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Can't miss places in NW Portland?

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by bweinst, Dec 27, 2012.

1. bweinst

bweinst Aficionado (165) Washington Mar 31, 2005

Will be visiting family who just moved to 1800 Irving. Not familiar with this part of Portland. What are the 'can't miss' bottle shops, bars, breweries, restaurants with great beer, etc., close by?

2. Closest craft beer place is Caps & Corks (corner NW 17th/Lovejoy), decent bottles/cans/taps & food. A little further north at NW Quimby, between 19th & 20th, is Lucky Lab Beer Hall, which is my favorite of the several LLs in the area. Also in that general neighborhood are The Bent Brick, which usually has several good taps (food that's good too, including a nice happy hour) and Wildwood, fine dining and excellent taps (Chef Paul Kasten is a BA and does a great job with beer pairings).

From 18th/Irving, Deschutes is a reasonable walk (maybe 12 blocks from that address); so are Rogue and Henry's Tavern for that matter. Bridgeport may be worth a stop (it's pretty close) and they have good HH prices, though not an exceptionally diverse beer list. Even the Pearl District Mellow Mushroom may be worth checking out (yeah it's a chain, but 50+ taps and pizzas).

Cheers,
    Brian

3. bweinst

Brian, thanks, this is great! Should keep me busy for a couple of days. Cheers! Bob

4. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,100) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

All good recommendations from Brian. Places I would also keep in mind include Bailey's taproom, the Full Sail Riverplace pub (they usually have 4 or 5 brewery only beers on tap here, as well as a decent guest selection; HH food prices are also very good). Also, Higgins is one of the preeminent restaurants in PDX, and they just happen to have an excellent beer selection as well (very good bottle selection at Higgins, but they also have 8 craft and/or import options on tap as well). Higgins is a bit spendy, but the food is top notch, and so something to keep in mind as a lunch destination (sit in the bistro side if you stop in for lunch), or as a special occasion option.

Also, while not on the NW side of town, HOTD is just on the other side of the Morrison Bridge, and so very quick and easy to get from the NW side.

You only wanted to know about "can't miss" locations, and I think Brian's post pretty much covers the can't miss spots (and then some, as I'm not sure Rogue or Henry's qualifies, but that's just my opinion). However, most places in the Pearl district will have a pretty solid draft list (if they serve beer at all), sometimes surprisingly so. Last year around this time we tried to stop by Deschutes for a late lunch, but there was almost an hour wait to get in, so we decided to look elsewhere. Just down the street was the Life of Riley pub, where we found not only a decent food selection, but Boneyard RPM on tap as well. Just something to keep in mind should a destination plan fall through for any reason. Seems like there are always excellent food and drink alternatives in that part of PDX. Have fun (the gf and I are driving down to PDX from Tacoma today as well, so maybe we'll run into you at some point). Cheers!

5. bweinst

Thanks John, between yours and Brian's, I'm set. Only have a couple of days, and a somewhat depleted amount of brain cells. Should be fun!

6. exitmusic00

exitmusic00 Savant (275) Oregon Mar 15, 2010

Good call - definitely worth poking your head in if you're in the area...they had Hop Venom on last week. :)

7. hopsbreath

hopsbreath Savant (475) Oregon Aug 28, 2009

Speaking of good spots "just over a bridge", Upright is on the other side of the Broadway Bridge. Only open a few days a week so check ahead if you're interested. Pearl Specialty Market is on the way in NorthWest if you come up Lovejoy.

8. damjadi

damjadi Savant (250) Oregon Sep 17, 2003

If you go over a bridge, make it the Hawthorne Bridge. On SE Belmont and SE 9th is Green Dragon and a block away is Cascade Brewing....

9. digita7693

digita7693 Advocate (575) Germany Jan 19, 2010

Brian pretty much nailed the NW; I live in the area and also enjoy going to Slabtown - divey place with pinball, 12 or so taps of local/regional beers (boneyard, deschuttes, some others), good music, very good falafel, vegan gyro and hummus too.

re: Bridgeport
    Food is pretty good, but I find the beers merely decent, and with myriad other options in the area, let alone Portland, I never go there and I live 2 blocks away.