1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Cantillon Iris & Bruocsella (1900) Grand Cru...trade value?

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by BMart, Dec 26, 2012.

1. BMart

BMart Savant (430) Pennsylvania Oct 21, 2010

I'm one of the few that is not a huge fan of the lambic style, but I notice Cantillon getting traded regularly on the forums. I decided to pick these two bottles from the shelf strictly for trading purposes. I'll definietly be looking for Imperial Stouts, so I included a few that I enjoy at various levels of obtainability.

Parabola
    Dark Lord
    Darkness
    BCBCS
    Hunahpu
    Rare

I don't wanna go posting it on the forum for some ridiculous request, so your feedback is appreciated. Thanks!
  2. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

In order you posted :

Yes can happen
    Yes can happen
    Probably could happen
    Doubtful will happen but is possible
    As likely as me shagging Natalie Portman
    As likely as me shagging Natalie Portman without roofies or breaking the law ;)

I am usually wrong on these kinds of things.

Better question is why you didn't just leave those two bottles for someone who would like and appreciate them? Can you not buy perfectly good imperial stouts off the shelf? I understand the "lure of the loons" but seriously...Grand Cru may be the *least* desirable. Hopefully you won't get stuck with $40ish in beer you don't like and have zero intention of drinking.
  3. codysjb

codysjb Savant (390) Florida Jun 16, 2010

I agree with Mordor's assessment except on BCBCS. This seems to be one of the beers that can be hit or miss. I've found 7 on the shelf (at 13$ each) before and one of my buddies found 9 on the shelf (25$ each) two days ago. If you find the right person I'd say it shouldn't be too hard esp with the Iris.
    BMart likes this.
  4. BMart

I have complete faith you can shag Natalie Portman so I'm golden.

I'm constantly looking to try new beers that don't get distributed or are hard to come by in my area. I've never had either, so drinking them is always a possibility as well if I can't get back my $4$ for them. It's been a while, so maybe I could give the style another try.
  5. Lordkrystic

Lordkrystic Savant (265) Washington Jul 18, 2012

Cantillon's make great extras.
    ilovermont, suspect, gpawned and 4 others like this.
  6. peteinSD

peteinSD Savant (255) California Apr 25, 2010

gut reaction - if you don't have enough sense of beer trading to know how to fairly trade well-known beers you really have no business buying them off the shelf strictly for trade.

putting that aside as the reality is this is how beer land operates now i'd say you should be able to trade those (the iris is of higher value) for parabola (easily), dark lord (fair trade), darkness (probably not and not because it's not a fair trade but the MN folks hold onto that beer something fierce), and forget about the others because the same mentality that lead you to buy these beers is only more ingrained and stronger in those holding BCS coffee, huna, and rare strictly for trade.
    TurdFurgison and BMart like this.
  7. First four 1:1 should be do-able, 5th requires the right trader to come along. I actually think it would be fair but since the new theme in the fourms is WINNING!1! fair no longer works all the time. Last one no, if you had a 3rd bottle of Cantillon 3:1 may work though.

Ted
    BMart likes this.
  8. BMart

That's your opinion and this might be the first time I bought something soley for trading, so I get your point. I definitely had my doubts about the purchase, but my judgemnet may have been impaired from my previous few drinks.

Thanks for the input.
  9. Anonymous1

Anonymous1 Savant (420) Illinois Mar 19, 2012

The only one you'll probably have trouble getting is Rare, even both bottles together wouldn't get Rare. Also Hunahpu should be much easier to get ahold of when its released again in March. All the other ones should be pretty easily obtainable. As others have said, there's lots of BCBS Coffee out there right now.

Also if you haven't tried these beers you really should. They're better than most of the beers you're looking for with the exception of Parabola (which is very, very easy to trade for without giving up Loons) and BCBS Coffee.
    BMart likes this.
  10. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

If anyone has a Hunahpu and are looking for Iris or Grand Cru give me a shout once OP is taken care of! ;)
    gpawned and Sidebordz like this.
  11. kscaldef

kscaldef Advocate (680) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

You're just hoping they'll include Natalie Portman as an extra :D
    JulianB, gpawned, Lordkrystic and 4 others like this.
  12. BMart

Natalie Portman didn't even make the white whale list...WTF!?!
  13. I was thinking more of "and" than "or" for Huna, "or" might be a more difficult trade (what's $ on Huna?).
  14. gklover1

gklover1 Savant (255) Colorado Oct 18, 2009

Let's just skip all this garbage and ask more appropriate questions...

What's $ on Natalie Portman?
    gpawned, mocktm, BMart and 1 other person like this.
  15. Duffman929

Duffman929 Savant (360) Illinois Nov 27, 2010

Her trade value has been high ever since the SNL rap and skyrocketed during Black Swan lesbo scene.
    Gosox8787 and DSlim71 like this.
  16. tacosandbeer

tacosandbeer Savant (370) Colorado Sep 24, 2010

I disagree. Buy whatever you want and do whatever you want with it.
    gcamparone likes this.