Cantillon Shortage?

Discussion in 'US - Mountain' started by Prospero, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Prospero

Prospero Advocate (705) Colorado Jul 27, 2010

What's up with the Cantillon shortage, I haven't seen any since August in these parts?

Maybe it's a question for all of the U.S. Just wondering if anyone else has seen any or heard any news as to why there's such a lack of it on the shelves?

2. A store down here in SD got Classic Gueuze in 375ml yesterday. They sent out an email to reserve bottles, I responded with in 10 minutes and it was all sold out, not sure how many they got or how they got it.

Edit: Just realized this is in a regional forum. By SD I mean San Diego.

3. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) California Dec 31, 2008

the popularity has exploded. A few years ago it use to just sit on shelves. I do not think it is them making less, just demand sky rocketing. Plus with them being distributed through Shelton Bros I think a lot more stays on the East Coast.

4. Prospero

I didn't even mean on shelves, I mean in general, it hasn't come in STOCK even anywhere in Denver since last August, that's 6-months no distribution.

5. nanobrew

I think that is because it is disappearing on the East Coast so quick there is very little to none available out West. Plus, since it use to sit on shelves without selling fast you cannot necessarily decipher how much was being distributed. Where now that is sells in hrs/minutes it is apparent how little is making it to your area.

6. Prospero

Well I know it came in every 2 months pretty regularly, not every style, but something Cantillon came every 2-months, now nothing in 6-months. It's definitely noticeable.

That implies the East Coast now gets more alloted to them? I don't see why East Coast would get more stock than normal, or rather why any stock is being held from Colorado.

Not true, I know for a fact it hasn't arrived in many stores in the Denver area, or at least not announced, which would mean beer managers or distributors are holding back or reserving it, but I don't find that likely, however, possible.

7. nanobrew

every 2 months sounds pretty good. How long ago was this?

I am unsure why there is a decrease. Like I said, maybe more for the East Coast. If that is where it is coming in and it is selling fast there, why ship it to other parts I guess. SoCal has seen a dramatic decrease for over 2 years now, and it is only getting worse supply and demand wise.

8. Prospero

In 2011, ~August 1, ~April 1, January (3x in 8 months)

Nothing since August.

9. nanobrew

hmmm, I have no idea. Hopefully I can just keep posting random theories until someone with factual insight is able to chime :)

4kbrianb likes this.
  10. Prospero

I guess I'll keep buying from Belgium then :(

11. Which isn't too bad when you can put together a box of 10 for about 200-250 shipped.

ehammond1 likes this.
  12. ehammond1

ehammond1 Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2008

Thread hijack: I'll go 50/50 with you on your next order from Belgium if you'd like.

13. 100% in on that, lets do it.

14. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (845) California Nov 16, 2009

Whoa whoa whoa, I better be included in this and I am not trying to jack this guys thread either!

Cheers!

15. TenHornsProud

TenHornsProud Savant (305) Colorado Aug 13, 2010

So, uh, where from in Belgium are you placing such an order??

16. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

Massachusetts got some classic gueuze and very limited amounts of mamouche and fou foune back in November. There was also some classic and rose over the summer. These are the only allocations I can recall in new england over the last year.

17. If and when it shows back up in the Metro area, from now on it is likely to be a hush-hush wink-wink kind of deal, and it'll be gone within minutes if its an on the shelf type store. Everyone remember that giant fiasco with Mile High and Fou last year?? There were a few shops that had some bottles stashed away that would sell, if asked. However, a few people let those shops names out during GABF week and the tourists cleaned everything out. As far as supply, remember that Cantillon doesn't brew all year, its seasonal. So when its ready, it ships. Hits the east coast first, passes us over for the west coast, and we get left to divide up whats left with the other oh....40 states or so. You'd think Denver, being craft beer mecca of the USA, would get more, but we don't.

18. I wouldn't consider a "shortage" of Cantillon to be an exact way of approaching the lack of bottles within Colorado. It's always been, and more so now than ever, a simple example of supply and demand. Many remember the golden era when Cantillon sat on the shelf for months at a time. It wasn't because no one was buying these bottles but because there simply wasn't as many people wanting to buy these bottles. There wasn't a need even for those that casually bought Cantillon to drive around town and pick up everything they could find. It was always a staple that suddenly became hard to find.

There are so many more individuals looking for wild/sour beers and that limits the options dramatically. More establishments are selling beers with these characteristics and when asking about the essentials, Cantillon will always come time mind.

More is to be found on the east coast simply because it's faster for a delivery truck to leave Maine or Pennsylvania to Massachusetts than it is from Colorado. I'm sure there is an allocation process at the source (Shelton Brothers) but even then, I can't image how they must split the few cases that come throughout the year.

I think we all forget sometimes that Cantillon's annual output hovers around 1500 barrels. There are local brew pubs that make more beer in a year. It's nearly a miracle that bottles have made it out here in the first place.

19. Prospero

You guys keep saying it's a supply/demand thing like it's just not on the shelves that long. I'm telling you it hasn't MADE it to the shelves. That's either a shortage, or it's being redistributed elsewhere, or .... other. Yes, we were lucky to have it distributed out here, but what I'm asking is why it's no longer? There must be a logical explanation. I guess I'm going with "more of it on East Coast" although I don't see that being the case either.

20. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Poobah (1,075) Colorado May 19, 2005

I think what Bardwashrind is saying is that the bottles don't make it CO b/c of supply-demand everywhere, including the east coast. I haven't seen a pre-order from Shelton Bros for Cantillon in a long time. Not that I would receive any...that's Bard's realm :)

21. For the record, if more is getting allocated to the East Coast it ain't coming to CT. We haven't gotten a fresh shipment of Cantillon in, I don't know, two years?

22. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Poobah (1,075) Colorado May 19, 2005

Maybe even more demand in Europe

LambicKing likes this.
  23. cpinto6

cpinto6 Savant (365) Georgia Feb 25, 2010

I thought Jean was having issues with shelton and wanted another importer. At least that's what I heard. I'm on the East coast and haven't seen any since August. It used to come about every 2 months or so. I think something happened in August because the people in different cities I've talked to have experienced the same exact thing.

24. tylermains

tylermains Savant (305) Kentucky Apr 6, 2010

We saw a shipment of Mamouche, Iris, Fou'Foune, Classic in November. We just saw a shipment of 375 Classic, 375 Rose, and 750 Lou Pepe Kriek, 750 Fou'Foune this past week. Only 2 bottleshops out of the 5-7 I visit got some.

25. ArrogantB

ArrogantB Advocate (735) Colorado Jun 9, 2006

Shortage? I'm swimming in it:cool:.

Seriously though that's only because I started cellaring gueuze about four years ago before shit got crazy. I randomly found an LP Kriek and a Cuvee Des Champions a month or so ago but I am pretty sure they were from the shipment that hit in April 2011. Haven't heard of any shipments since last summer and I think only two stores got any. I've also noticed Drie Fonteinen has pretty much dried up. I know of a place online that has 375's of Tilquin.....

26. ArrogantB

The seasonality has very little to do with any shortage because we are not talking about beer that is fresh nor consistent.

mindswoop likes this.
  27. DefenCorps

DefenCorps Advocate (635) Oregon Jan 18, 2007

I would like to think otherwise, but IMO, the Shelton's are playing the market here. They're sending fewer shipments of fewer cases without increasing the number of stores/bars they send beers to. I don't know what their endgame is here, but my gut tells me I'm not a fan. Here in MD, it used to be relatively easy to come by, with even non top-tier beer stores selling them every once in a while, but now, it's simply dried up, and from what I hear, it's almost entirely from the supply side. The ridiculous increase in demand that Bardwashrind has mentioned above doesn't help either, but based on my observations, that doesn't entirely account for it.

28. LambicKing

LambicKing Advocate (675) Florida Apr 13, 2011

I do know certain bottle shops in Belgium place bottle limits on Fou' Foune (3/per in a Ghent shop). I was just surprised limits happened at all in BEL. I personally don't know of limits on any other Cantillon offering.

Cantillon surely doesn't show up around SE VA much (which doesn't surprise me)...but I stumbled upon a 750 of Classic Gueuze in MA in early November 2011. The shop said they received 6 bottles that day (1 standard Cantillon box)...gone in less than an hour. I imagine the availability issue won't get much better even with the expansion.

29. If you want to blame anyone, blame Shelton. Those guys are complete dicks when it comes to toying with their beers that they bring in. Want proof, check out this excerpt from their blurb about 2001 St. Lamvinus, still listed on their website:

Shelton pretty much sucks.

Knownfactor likes this.
  30. Knownfactor

Knownfactor Savant (320) Colorado Feb 20, 2010

It's all in Canada. True story.

Also there are plenty of Belgian online shops to fill your gueuze needs just need to order enough to make shipping worth it.

31. knucks999

knucks999 Aficionado (190) Colorado Sep 30, 2008

Yeah, my buddy in Vancouver called me one day to ask which Cantillon bottle he should buy. I started crying.

32. digita7693

digita7693 Advocate (645) Germany Jan 19, 2010

This sounds like an American problem...

sorry:(

mulder1010 likes this.
  33. FarmerTed

FarmerTed Savant (345) Colorado May 31, 2011

Mile High says some Cantillon came and went this week.

34. NVbeer

NVbeer Savant (310) Nevada Oct 3, 2002

I've been seeing some around here(Reno,NV). Classic Gueze, Lou Pepe Kriek, etc. It's not plentiful mind you and rarely makes it to the shelf but it is around.

35. Destral

Destral Savant (375) Nevada Oct 20, 2009

For shame, Reno. Cepage needs to start kicking more of that allocation down to Las Vegas where we will appreciate it more. LOL

36. Cinderbike

Cinderbike Savant (295) Nevada Jan 16, 2011

It's a nice change from SoCal. It still sells out but it takes days instead of minutes here in Reno.

37. Prospero

Yea, I picked up a bottle of each, but they were (2) 375ml bottles.... I mean it's barely any at all, and it's the first hint of it since last August.

38. A friend tried to get to Mile High once they posted to twitter and FB that they had Cantillon. Sold out in 20 minutes. He was late by 5 minutes. Is that beer that good?

39. Prospero

No it's just rare.

Seems to be a recurring trend on BA. People think rare beers are extra special for some reason. How a beer that is described as "barnyard funk" and "smelly gym socks" can be considered in the top 100 beers is beyond me. I got a couple to try, it may change my mind.

TenHornsProud likes this.
  40. ArrogantB

If you've never had it how can you say "it's just rare"? I will agree that hype/rarity plays a big part but Cantillon lambics are some of the world's best.