1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Cantillon Zwanze Day - Toronto, Mtl, Vancouver

Discussion in 'Canada' started by atomeyes, Jul 12, 2013.

1. September 14 2013

confirmed:
    Dieu du Ciel
    Bar Volo
    Alibi Room

Toronto: be grateful. It was going to be Buffalo, not us. Who knew that Jean would actually be swayed by my plea...

p.s. this falls onYom Kippur, my Jewish friends.

2. HELL YEAH.

[​IMG]

Luk13 and Rutager like this.
  3. VANCOUVER!!!!!! :D:cool:

JonnyBeers likes this.
  4. Can't wait. :D

5. Excellent! Thanks for the heads up; I know where I'll be!

6. Volo or DDC. Hmm...

7. in line?

8. Enjoyed last years, mmmm rhubarb. Will definitely be there!

9. Ha! I don't know if it'll be that oversubscribed in Vancouver, to be honest - our Cantillon stocks tend to last a while and the last time we had them on tap (again, at the Alibi room) was as part of their 400th tap change anniversary - and as popular as that was, they didn't ticket it and tables were available for the first half hour or so after opening (which is pretty typical for a friday / saturday at the alibi).

That said, the craft beer scene continues to accelerate like crazy... and hell, if I need to, I will absolutely queue for this :)

10. Luk13

Luk13 Savant (300) Quebec (Canada) May 25, 2009

Nice.. happy for the fellow Canadians BA that finally gets it this year ! Will be combined with DDC anniversary like they did in 2011, better beers but will be more crowded this year. I'll be tempted to get an attempt on tickets for Hill Farmstead though as they replaced HArvest festival for it, should be epic down there too!

11. What? Please elaborate....

12. yasky

yasky Savant (300) New York Dec 21, 2008

See y'all at Volo!

13. Hell ya!

14. aww fuck, my BJCP exam is that day. I would have totally gone over to Vancouver for that.

15. Obvious answer is relocate the exam place....

16. Draw tickets for Vancouver just went on sale. Announcement from Copper & Theory's FB page:

"Want to win a free ticket to Zwanze Day (the-simultaneous--most-spontaneous-of-fermentations Cantillon Celebration) on Sept 14th at the Alibi??? Buy a ticket for Zwanze Day Draw Day on August 20th! http://alibizwanzedraw.eventbrite.ca/"

JonnyBeers likes this.
  17. So, apparently a person has to attend the draw event at The Alibi Room with their $10 raffle ticket for a 1 in 4 chance of winning a "free" ticket to the actual event. :rolleyes:

18. I guess it's fairer on the people with less flexible working hours than the whole first come first served setup... and would eliminate scalping if you HAVE to be at the draw event in order to attend the actual day. But no idea if that's actually the case or not.

What's also unclear is the ticketing, too... is it just one ticket per person? or is it like a raffle and one person can buy multiple tickets for more chances to win? Bit confused frankly. But hey ho, I still bought one (heck, I bought 4).

JonnyBeers likes this.
  19. Yes, it's pretty vague on details. I understand the no scalping thing, but they could have just done 1/person ticket sales.

Just annoyed that I have to arrange for someone to pick up my kids from daycare and take the bus downtown and back from the burbs ...just for the chance of going to the main event. Makes it tough for someone with a busy life outside of beer. I rarely make it to any events but do really want to hit this one. :)

20. And makes it impossible for someone to come in from out of town for it... Sigh. Not that I have the cake to fly in for it anyhow.

21. Yeah I hear you. Well if I end up with an extra ticket (unlikely) and they are transferable (also unlikely) I'll happily give it to you. Cross your fingers for me! :)

As an aside, I heard from my buddy that it's not even a lambic this year... it's a tripel, which as interesting as it'll be feels like a bit of a let down. Although they will apparently be pouring other Cantillons, too, which'll be nice - I think the only other time I've seen any of it on tap was the the alibi's 400th taplist change.

22. Oh and more importantly:

And there's your mistake! :)

Rutager likes this.
  23. As someone helping to organize the Draw Day in Vancouver (via #YVRBeerTweetup) feel free to ask me any questions here. Will answer if I can.

- Yes you need to be at the draw to win
    - 1 entry per person, but you can buy as many tickets as you want for others
    - the Draw Day event will also include some special beers, so the $10 isn't just for the raffle, may also be live music (which isn't free, bands get paid ;)
    - 160 tickets available for the Draw, only 40 spots available for Zwanze Day (1 in 4 chance)
    - The keg of Zwanze is only 20L, rather than split it up into a bunch of tasters, everyone gets a substantial size.

Reason we did all this was to make sure that the 40 people who got into Zwanze Day are people who really want to go. It also stops scalping. And since Zwanze Day is a FREE ticket if you win, that's pretty kickass.

Realize there's a lack of details on the event page, but we'll be updating it as we can with beers etc. main thing I'll add for now is that it's 1 ticket/draw per person, but you can buy for others, so I guess that's a loophole if you care to stack your chances by bringing a friend who doesn't drink sours, but really, that's not what this is all about

Let me know if there's anything else I can help with. Also I apologize for any inconvenience. Cheers,

24. this is 20% neat and 80% downright stupid.

can't wait to see the outrage towards this concept.

kjyost likes this.

25. Dieu du Ciel celebrates their anniversary on the same day as Zwanze day and they have loads of special beers, aged and otherwise. The only thing you need to do is get in line early, no tickets to purchase. :D

kjyost likes this.
  26. Yup, it is a blast. I have yet to taste a Zwanze, I just go for the rest of the offerings and for the atmosphere!

27. Yeah wonder how Volo is going to organize this...

28. I know several people that "really want to go" (trust me, they REALLY want to go) but won't be able to attend the draw because of work, family commitments, or being too far away on the day of the draw. It's really catering to the people with the most time on their hands and/or live close to the venue.

I like the lottery system, no problems with that. I don't see how the mandatory attendance for the lottery helps anything.

It also should have been more clear that only one lottery ticket can be used per person attending the draw event. It looks like lots of people have bought several tickets because it wasn't clear that it was only one ticket/person.

This is how you get the people in that really want to go. As soon as I heard the Zwanze date, I made arrangements to have that day free. Now I have to find a way to get to the draw event as well...

Lurkaholic and papat444 like this.
  29. I'm in agreement with you Rutager- I don't see how having a raffle ensures that only people who really want to go get to go, nor how it prevents scalping. Seeing as I've gone and bought 4 tickets (which is also less than ideal, but I suppose that's on me for not contacting the alibi room / yvrtweetup and asking how this is all working instead of making an assumption), thinking that increased my chances, I've now got to bring 3 friends along - and what if all 4 of my tickets win? I've now got four tickets to it, and it's up to me to decide who comes along. I can see this happening with quite a few people - and I think it's more likely they'll bring their friends, partners etc than make sure those tickets go out to whoever wants it most. Heck I'd be very surprised if you didn't see at least one on Craigslist after the draw.

The other thing is only having 40 people try it. I know it's going to be less than a pint already, and maybe I'm just a bit of a hippy, but I think I'd prefer that more people got to try less of it than less people getting to try more of it.

Anyway all to easy to criticize from here. Johnny, I've attended some of your events in the past and they've always been well organized and fun, and I really appreciate the effort you've put into this. While I think there are some flaws with this system, I don't think any solution is going to be perfect - and although I've attended a lot of beer related events, I've organized a grand total of zero, so don't pay too much mind to me :)

Good luck to all, and commiserations to those who won't be able to make it to the draw.

JonnyBeers likes this.
  30. I see the eventbrite ticket page has been updated with the following:

"You need to be at the Draw Day to win. Each ticket is valid for one person and thus one draw entry. You can buy multiple tickets to the event for a group if you like, but you are only allowed one ballot (to be filled out at Alibi) per person."

That's a good way to prevent it. Presume we'll fill out the ballots upon entry- if so, what happens if my friends all put my name on it, and I get more than one ticket? Will that mean a redraw?

31. LOL. I'm not the one making all the decisions for the record, but no matter what system we use people are going to have problems with it. And to be honest, the only place I've seen complaints is on here :D

Looking at ticket sales now (which are doing really well fyi) most people have bought single tickets. Apologize for not making this more clear about multiple tickets. Don't think you'll have trouble finding people to go ;)

Like I said, not matter what system we use, people are going to abuse it. This is what Alibi and Copper & Theory came up with, I think it works quite well, prevents a mob on the day, and eases stress a little. Hope you all can make it and win!

32. Still to be determined what actual 'ticket' people will get for Zwanze Day, but almost certain you can only win one per person. Everyone will get a ballot/info card on entry.

Edit: Started a separate thread for Vancouver

33. Imagine that, the place where people have experience with rare beer releases is the place you find the criticism. :D

Too many hoops here for an unknown beer. As much as I wanted to go, this system makes it too difficult. Hopefully it will be organized like any of the other Zwanzes in the world next year.

Lurkaholic likes this.
  34. Yeah I think DDC have the right idea. On the upside, it is a pretty good excuse to spend yet another evening at the alibi.

35. That's kind of the point. Alibi has more than enough regulars to fill this event and it's meant to be a special event with the bonus of 'oh ya, you could win FREE Zwanze Day tickets' ...not so bad in my books.

36. Dammit, I believed every word of their backstory right up until the reveal. I am too easily fooled!

37. Hook, line and sinker. I got halfway through and caught myself thinking "Wow, I can't wait to tell my friends this anecdote at the draw day! What a cool story!" (cue "typical 2013 user" comments etc etc)

I had to google Faro in search of the joke, too. As if I didn't feel stupid enough already... (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lambic#Faro)

38. Glad to see Volo is on top of making announcements and keeping people posted on this release.

inb4 tix for the event are $50 and only a 4oz pour is included