1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Cantillon

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by lupercmda, May 1, 2014.

1. I am just wondering if they sell Cantillon anywhere in the US? I looked it up on SeekABrew and it is not listed. Or do have to just order it from one of the overseas places?

If it is sold in the US do you know what states as I travel quite a bit? Thanks and cheers.

2. iHia

iHia Zealot (95) California Nov 8, 2013

It's sold here in the states, but is kinda difficult to get. It shows up in stores around here from time to time, but does not sit around for very long.

3. prdstmnky

prdstmnky Savant (420) Vermont Jan 8, 2010

Its imported by Shelton Bros, that will tell you where its possibly sold in the US via seekabrew.

It isn't the type of thing that you can just expect to find on, well, any shelves in the US. There are usually a few US shipments a year, which have Cantillon...those rarely see shelves, and when they do, are gone in hours.

Edit: If you are just looking to try them, there are certainly bars around the country that have bottles for in house consumption, usually at a significant mark up.

4. I have cantillon hit me up

4DAloveofSTOUT likes this.
  5. prdstmnky

prdstmnky Savant (420) Vermont Jan 8, 2010

LOL, thats just an open invitation to have your inbox destroyed.

Tconroy and SlightlyStoopidG like this.
  6. Just an FYI... I think seekabrew is pretty outdated. Shelton Brothers hasn't been distributed in MN for a couple years if not longer and it still shows up as being distributed here. I've noticed the same errors for quite a few breweries. It is a good resource to get a general idea though.

7. Haha. Christ.

8. at $17 per 375ml of Kriek, you are better off finding a Belgian trade partner.

9. Dealing with international shipping does not make it much cheaper.

10. disagree.

say you pay $10 per bottle to ship. and every bottle you send costs you $15. that should get you back on average a whole bunch of Cantillon 750's at around $25 per instead of this price ($17 + shipping for a 375). this takes a good trade partner but should be doable, Loons are pretty cheap in Belgium.

11. Thanks to all for the information. So it looks like I need to just keep ordering from Trappist world or Belgiumbeerbox or trade. The international shipping is just rediculous.

12. Canada has better access to Cantillon than the US. In Alberta it sits on shelves along with westy and drie (Armand seasons even!) just sitting out. The rest of the country its harder to get but its doable.

13. Used to be that way, ended this spring pretty much. What is left, Iris/Kriek/Gam/Classic, is going for almost $40 per bomber and there is very little left on the shelves (probably less than 100 bombers in all of AB). For example, the recent shipment was Fou'Foune and LP-Framboise, a bunch of places got one case each and limit was 1/person and it sold out first/second day.

14. I know TX doesn't get it either. I was told CT doesn't as well.

Anybody know where else?

15. Here is what Shelton brothers will tell you:

Thank you for contacting us, and apologies for our late response!

We would like to help you find a retailer with a bottle, but the truth is that no one store anywhere really “carries” Cantillon. Its availability is very limited and shops receive a few cases per year at best. When stores do get a shipment, they usually only have it for a few hours before it is all gone, compounding the difficulty.

As you may or may not already know, Cantillon is a very small brewery/museum in Brussels. When we first started working with them, nobody in the USA wanted to buy the beer; they mostly assumed that the definitive sourness indicated some flaw. People now appreciate the unique, artisanal quality of these beers, and demand has sky-rocketed over the past decade.

The brewery is operating at full capacity, but they simply cannot make enough beer to keep up with demand. Our shipments are maybe 200 cases for the whole USA. We do everything in our power to distribute the beer equitably, but that's really not much quantity with which to work.

Cantillon actually tried expanding to keep up, but the new construction imparted different, unwanted flavors in the beers. With an open fermentation method, every little thing in the brewery has some impact! The addition was removed and the original materials were put back in place.

So, the point is, unfortunately, that we are usually unable to help people find these beers on shelves. While this may not be the response you were hoping for, we hope it will at least explain the situation.

mythaeus likes this.
  16. Interesting, I never knew that.

17. MykelJH

MykelJH Savant (290) California Aug 3, 2011

Être is good too