1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Cantillon?

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by BigGene, May 10, 2012.

1. I ended up placing two orders with them a day apart. The first one arrived in 5 days and the second one didn't ship for 6 days, and arrive until 6 more days after that. I guess it's a bit random.

2. Ever since the Great Cantillon Purge of 2010 it's been damn near impossible to get. I've only landed one bottle of gueuze this year so far! Unacceptable. And Shelton can suck a big one, too.

3. pmoney

pmoney Advocate (600) Colorado Apr 15, 2011

Lets be honest, you just wanted to "like" my comment twice. It's okay, I dont blame you ;)

abraxel likes this.
  4. Yes.

5. pmoney

pmoney Advocate (600) Colorado Apr 15, 2011

Thanks for the info!

6. Knownfactor

Knownfactor Savant (310) Colorado Feb 20, 2010

Denver/Colorado recently within the past 1.5 months got 25 or so cases to the state. 1900, 2008lp Kriek, classic/bio, gambrinus came.

Ispeakforthetrees likes this.
  7. Thanks for the heads up, I am really excited about this trip and the tour. Whatever I can get I will take as I really want to be able to enjoy the beers a little more often throughout the year!

8. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,170) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

I am awaiting for a Euro crash to take advantage of this ;) coooommmeee oonnnn

ESPANA!! :p

JohnnyTightLips likes this.
  9. If the Euro crashes it's going to be just as hard to order Cantillon from overseas as it is to buy it locally... Unless they catch on and jack up prices to account for it, which is quite likely given the way online Euro shops already price by demand a lot better than US stores.

10. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,170) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

it's really not going to make a difference... hence forth... smiley faces... :D

11. Im ashamed to admit it, but I bought 4 bottles of the classic gueuze at $17 a piece carry out from a dive bar. Ive only once heard of Classic Gueuze coming into the largest store in the area (Sams Quik Shop), and I had to drive 100mph after receiving the text to get a bottle.

3 Fonteinen is even freaking worse. I bought 2 375 mL bottles in like October, and I havent seen a damn bottle since. the Schaerbeekse Kriek sat on shelves for a good 3-4 months, and when I went to buy it, it was gone. fucking hype.

but back to Cantillon. I wouldnt trade your left nut for Rose de Gambrinus. Its good, but Ive had better Strawberry lambics (Hanssens Oudbeitje-also stupidly hard to find). I sent a bottle of the Classic Gueuze in trade for Pliny and Consecration, and kind of regret it since they were from 09.

Basically dont trade for the Classic Gueuze, but buy it on site. Any others buy them. Ive never seen them ever.

12. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,135) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

I'll mention De Cam. And also say wonderful stuff.

13. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,135) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

That's a long trip from Australia. ;)

14. domtronzero

domtronzero Initiate (0) California Aug 18, 2007

Rose de Gambrinus is a framboise by the way. No strawberries, they use raspberries.

pixieskid and whiskeytown like this.
  15. My advice, whether you like sours or not, is to head to Belgium. It's a must as a beer geek, and then you can visit Cantillon, meet the owner, go through the self-guided tour and drink/buy plenty of Cantillon there. You can also have plenty of Cantillon in Belgium period, I lived on gueze when I visited there.

16. Took 8 days for my 10 bottles. Great site!

17. Giovacchini

Giovacchini Savant (255) California Dec 16, 2011

Anybody have any experience buying from beer planet (http://www.beerplanet.eu/catalog/index.php)? They have Cantillon among other great Belgian brews. I just want to know if anyone has had them ship to the USA and how it worked out.

18. Was about to head to the register at one of my favorite shops yesterday after chatting with the owner for a while, who told me I missed out on the 6 bottles of Lou Pepe Kriek he got in the previous week. Oh well, I said, them's the breaks, maybe someday. All of a sudden he says hey, I was cleaning up some loose bottles, look what I found: the last bottle of Lou Pepe. Want it? Yes please. Score! Pays to be friendly and develop a relationship with the beer guys it seems. I make a point of not simply whale-hunting but always buy some good stuff...folks remember that.

19. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Uh, Shelton Brothers distributes in Texas and I have never seen nor heard of this beer being released in Texas. Has someone EVER bought this in Texas? Is it sold in secret, under cover of night?

20. miketd

miketd Advocate (510) Ohio Mar 2, 2006

Ohio just got a shipment in; I was able to score four different cantillon beers at two places. Could have bought one more - St. Lamvinious, but at $35 it stayed on the shelf.

21. That is cause it is not imported here (except for one time Oude Lambik). If Cantillon is small DeCam is microscopic. It's pretty hard to find De Cam in Belgium.

22. The breweries selections are seasonal. Fou Foune is usually bottled in the early fall. When I was there in late Sept 2011 there was a TON of fresh Fou Foune. I could have got a pallet if I wanted. It would have exceeded the weight limit for my bagage though:(

23. azorie

azorie Advocate (725) Florida Mar 18, 2006

your lucky to get any even there anymore, from the locals I hear from anyway.

24. Big following yes... but it is stupid how hard it is to get that stuff stateside. 3 years ago I could have gone to 4-5 different local stores and bought it off the shelf at anytime. Even the one off stuff. A large store by me had bottles of the 50N 4E on the shelves for months a few years back. Now you have to shank someone for a bottle. UGH!

25. azorie

in the late 1990's it would sit for years....

26. azorie

link is broken, new site.

27. I saw a bunch of it when I was in Brussels two months ago but not in large quantities at all. I am now kicking myself for passing up the 3 bottles of the oude lambik late last year when I saw it on the shelf... $35 was hard to cough up at the time. A couple months later I had a bottle shared with me and it was incredible - I would gladly buy all 3 bottles if I saw it again knowing what I know now.

28. Never had it shipped but I bought beer from the store itself - very good selection and nice owner.

29. tacosandbeer

tacosandbeer Savant (455) Colorado Sep 24, 2010

They only had Classic and Kriek last week.

30. Wow, I thought it was slim pickings when I was there with Gueuze, Kriek, Rose, and Iris

31. tacosandbeer

tacosandbeer Savant (455) Colorado Sep 24, 2010

I think you'll find more inventory beginning as early as December. The beginning of the year is your best bet.

32. I think the only inventory I am looking at anytime soon is ordering online... I hope I dont miss the boat on fou foune

33. Just a head's up - Fou Foune comes and goes online about as fast as it does in stores nowadays, and that's even with 1 bottle limits in place. The only exceptions are the places that really jack the price up to $40-$50/bottle before shipping.

34. Sarlacc83

Sarlacc83 Advocate (620) Oregon Mar 2, 2008

De Cam's pretty much Belgium only with a few exceptions like the Lambiek a couple years back.

35. I am not even going to waste my time looking for it in stores in the US if it happens i happens. Im considering doing my first order from Belgium in this case as I think it might stick around more than 30 minutes... if not then looks like I will have to attempt a trade.

36. 30 minutes is about right for the online stores in Belgium that don't jack the price up. :) Just gotta be ready...

37. Don't forget about Tilquin!

38. Exact same experience. Customs has a lot to do with it. Placed 2 orders within a few days of each other and received the 2nd order before the 1st.

39. Ahhhh damn I was hoping I would have a slightly better window! Oh well I will see if I luck out.

40. GennyCreamAle

GennyCreamAle Initiate (0) New York Feb 25, 2009

so you grabbed 25% of a cities entire alottment of Cantillon for yourself? Dick move. Shaun Hill hates you.

franklinn and HopsJunkiedotcom like this.