1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Cantillon?

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by BigGene, May 10, 2012.

1. I agree... big oversight, I love Tilquin Gueuze
    HopsJunkiedotcom likes this.
  2. I called ahead and reserved one bottle at the store I normally went to. I got the other two at a different store, which was actually the first time I ever went there, two weeks later. The owner of the second only put two out at a time and I got the last two. Each store got six bottles total. How is that a dick move? If anything I got lucky.
  3. mulder1010

mulder1010 Initiate (0) Australia Aug 29, 2008

gueze and vigneronne on the shelf at my shop right now.:D
    Good to be living in Sydney
    BucketBoy and pixieskid like this.
  4. Rymar9

Rymar9 Savant (260) South Carolina Jan 24, 2011

Just FYI, I got an email from Belgium in a box a few days ago saying that fou foune '12 will be released around the end of august beginning of September, so be on the lookout, I know I will be
  5. GennyCreamAle

GennyCreamAle Initiate (0) New York Feb 25, 2009

it's cool. I'm kidding
  6. Thanks for the heads up!
  7. avenuepub

avenuepub Savant (295) Louisiana Apr 23, 2009

Cantillon doesn't make it to Texas. Your out of state per brewery fee is too high I've heard. louisiana (New Orleans) gets it.
    champ103 likes this.
  8. :eek: Looks like I posted that 3 months ago at 10:14am on 5/10/12 so (according to my math) my 15 minute edit window in up and I can't fix it. ;) I guess the post can be Reported to the forum monitors and they'll delete it.

The link still takes one to Shelton Bros' website - hit "Proceed to Old Site" and the old Distributors' page is still up.
  9. pixieskid

pixieskid Advocate (660) Germany Jun 4, 2009

Duh! ;)
  10. pixieskid

What store has all of those all year round?
  11. azorie

azorie Advocate (715) Florida Mar 18, 2006

yea I knew about where anyway. We get some mostly in Orlando area. I go down there when I want some. Though the smaller (ie more expensive small stores here) have it sometimes. Atlanta has alot last time I was at greens.
  12. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Just bought my first bottle of Cantillon last week. Rose De Gambrinus. This is the first Cantillon my area has seen in two years. Six whole bottles made their way in. I consider myself very lucky.
    azorie likes this.
  13. azorie

did you like it? Me I love gueuze and the like but fruit lambics do not do it for me.
  14. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I haven't tried it yet, I am generally a fan of both lambics and gueuzes so I anticipate liking this.
  15. azorie

hehe no beer in my house (that good) stays undrank more than 1-2 days....ENJOY:)
  16. digita7693

digita7693 Advocate (575) Germany Jan 19, 2010

In German the saying is "zwei Dumme ein Gedanke" : two idiots, one thought. Which one might more colloquially translate as "fools seldom differ" or "great minds think alike".

and back on topic:
    Limited, in the US
    and yes its delicious, though I cannot see myself spending $40 or more on a bottle when I am used to the reasonable prices in Europe.
    pixieskid likes this.
  17. DSlim71

DSlim71 Savant (495) New Jersey Mar 3, 2010

I'll have to start using that. Thanks for the German lesson :D

And back on topic, I was able to find a Rose and LP Kriek around here a few weeks back. I got the last 2 bottles, so it's really about luck and pounding the pavement if you want to find Cantillon.
  18. pixieskid

Don't hold me to it, but if you dont have any luck, I am usually good for a couple of Fou Foune trades each year...

19. I hate this fact, so much. Bullshit
  20. Yea I only brought back one, and I already drank it :)
  21. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,125) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

Now you're talking! I'd take a De Cam over most Cantillons in a hear beat.
  22. They're overrated as fuck. Seriously. Go drink real beer, girls.
  23. Siiick burn!

It means a lot too, coming from the king of overrating- this guy gave an uncarbed LA bottle a 5.0
  24. I will tell you one thing though: If I wanted to trade some Birra del Borgo/ Cantillon Duchessic, I could get whatever I wanted! And I know a store where I could buy a lot too! :D
  25. jtg5678

jtg5678 Savant (255) Illinois Nov 27, 2012

I'm not about to lose sleep over finding Cantillon, but I will surely buy it if/when I see it. In the meantime, is there anything you guys recommend that might be somewhat comparable? I'm pretty uninformed when it comes to anything non-US.
  26. I thought the Cantillion hype was weird too because a couple of years ago it was so readily available. I remember Geoi, my beer guy in San Diego, would always say some of his favorite stuff was Cantillion, but most people wouldn't buy it. Either way he would carry it because it was a worthy beer to have around....
  27. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

Depends which you mean. I'd take 3F gueuze over Cantillon, so look for that. De Cam, 3F, Hansenns, and probably some others I'm forgetting are generally comparable overall. The only way that Cantillon is really unique is non-standard fruit lambic, good luck getting an apricot or grape sour from anyone else in Belgium. (Some have been made, but are super rare. Malvassia is a different level from St. Lamvinus.)
    chanokokoro likes this.
  28. chanokokoro

chanokokoro Advocate (590) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

As far as gueuze, Girardin 1882 Black Label Gueuze is fantastic. Many times it gets overlooked.
    da_bulls likes this.
  29. You are so money
  30. If you ever have time, visit the brewery. It is in a less friendly part of town in Brussels near the mid station. Definitely worth it. They have packs of smaller bottles (3 per pack) that you can get different varieties. Very cool place and as other people stated, they are good at what they brew. I don't think they are replicated outside of Belgium so it is worth the effort to get. Hype isn't anything new...just look at our US market...
  31. merc7186

merc7186 Savant (345) New York Dec 5, 2010

What is this Cantillon you speak of??? ;)
  32. champ103

champ103 Champion (860) Texas Sep 3, 2007

avenuepub beat me to it. Way to high of licensing fees from TABC. Same reason we don't get Jolly Pumpkin, Drie Fonteinen, etc.
  33. What's a reasonable price for Cantillon? My local bottle shop just got a case of Classic Geuze in.
  34. 750 should be 18ish 375 10-11. Wouldn't be surprised if its more though

35. I'd be surprised if they were selling it for that cheap.

I've most recently paid $17 for the 375 and $24 for the 750 bottles of classic gueuze.
  36. You got porked

37. That's what they normally sell for around here and they fly off the shelves.

38. ...or as Laurel and Hardy would say, "two minds without a single thought"
  39. Snagged a 375ml Classic Geuze for $10! Sounds like I got a pretty good deal.
  40. beerhan

beerhan Savant (390) Ohio Apr 28, 2010

Cantillon does not come in as much as it used to but when it does:

Classic 750 - 13.99
    Classic 375 - 7.19-7.99
    Kriek 375 - 8.99
    Iris 750 - 17.99

Those prices have remained consistent over the years. The disappearance of cantillon fortunately was followed by a constant supply of drie fonteinen gueuze though so I am not complaining too much.