1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Canuck seeking advice on Columbus

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by cratez, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Hey everyone. My girlfriend and I are heading to Columbus for a long weekend (Fri-Mon) later this month and I'm seeking some local advice on good beer/wine/food spots, tourist attractions, and safety tips.

I've done a bit of research and this is what our current plan looks like:

- Bob's Bar on Friday night. 17 min. cab ride from downtown but the tap list seems worth it.
    - Schmidt's Sausage Haus for lunch on Saturday, followed by a walk up the Scioto Trail (from Bicentennial to North Bank and back again). Barley's and Betty's on Sat. night since they're both highly-rated and within walking distance of each other.
    - Katzingers Deli for lunch on Sunday before catching the 2pm "Chicago" show at Shadowbox Live. Bodega and Surly Girl Saloon on Sunday night, assuming they're open late.
    - Dirty Frank's Hot Dog Palace for lunch on Monday, then a bottle shop at Palmer's Beverage Center. It's right off the I-71N on our way home.

I'm curious to know if these are solid choices and whether you would recommend other bars/attractions over these ones.

Also wondering about the general safety of downtown, North High Street, and the parks I mentioned, as we plan to walk to most places from East State Street. I'm guessing walking b/w Barley's and Betty's and Bodega and Surly Girl should be no problem, but not sure about State to Katzinger's/Schmidt's and Livingston Ave to South Front since I don't know the city.

Finally, local beers to watch for. Columbus IPA is on my hit list, but what other beers would you suggest? Your help here is greatly appreciated. Cheers!
  2. Jparkanzky

Jparkanzky Initiate (0) Ohio Apr 5, 2011

I wanna say that the Columbus Brewing Co. Pub (or some affiliated bar of theirs) is on High Street (or close by) I usually hit it up when going to concerts etc... a local can probably tell you better, but I'd recommend going there to see if Cousin Eddie/Bodhi/etc. is on tap.... (Beware of the BA Uncle Rusty.... it'll make you time-travel)

As far as "Safety" I know from being in that area, that it's safe (right across the street from some crappy junior college called "OSU" or something) but if you go a couple of streets over (past the fairgrounds) you'll realize in a hurry that it's time to turn around!

There is a really nice hotel near the college, can't remember what it is, but I've stayed there multiple times.... It's on a main street, valet, and all that jazz.
  3. BeerBuckeye

BeerBuckeye Savant (420) Ohio Oct 2, 2009

If you're going to Palmer's just hit Weiland's too, it's literally right up the street.
    gpawned and Mohican88 like this.
  4. I saw some Fat Head's Brewing Headhunter IPA and The Brew Kettle's White Rajah DIPA when I stopped at The Anderson's near the Sawmill area last Friday, so you may find them at Palmer's too. Both are great choices to take home along with the Columbus IPA.
  5. Thanks folks - all helpful suggestions. Given the lack of local responses I'm guessing either my choices are spot on or there's very few Columbus BAs, but I'll be sure to look for these beers and Weiland's is now on the hit list. Cheers!
  6. Envelopes

Envelopes Initiate (0) Ohio Aug 26, 2012

There's even Head Hunter on the shelf the Brewers Yard Kroger near Shadowbox (they also just built up a giant display of fresh Columbus IPA & Pale in the back corner by the cheese). Also, the Columbus Brewing Co. is right behind Shadowbox (go down Liberty and you'll run into it). And yeah, I'd say it's worth the drive to hit Weiland's after Palmer but just make sure you get there on the earlier side as they close around 7-7:30. It might also be worth it to continue North from Weiland's and stop at Savor (another great bottle shop on Indianola). There's another on-ramp to I-71N like a half-mile further up Indianola from Savor so it's not going to take you out of the way. If anything, since you're headed North you can just consider it part of the drive home!

And yeah, your bar & food choices are solid and I think you'll go home happy!
    cratez likes this.
  7. MajorBuckeye

MajorBuckeye Savant (280) Ohio Jan 8, 2012

Did you mention the exact dates of the weekend you are in town? I can look to see if there are any particular special events of note. The Columbus Winter Beerfest is at the convention center this Friday and Saturday...
  8. MajorBuckeye

Not to mention the Brewery District - World of Beer next to Shadowbox/close to the Columbus Brewing Co.
    cratez likes this.
  9. Jan 25-28. I notice Columbus Brewing is participating in Restaurant Week (21st-26th) so not sure if that'll affect our chances of getting seats if we do decide to head there at some point.
  10. wintbs379

wintbs379 Savant (290) Michigan Mar 13, 2009

So sorry to hear you'll be visiting Columbus.
    Bay01, ditka311 and Mothergoose03 like this.
  11. MajorBuckeye

So sorry you'll likely have to drive through that state up north to get here. Try not to spend any money on gas north of the Ohio border if you can help it.
    nrbw23, TheRealPour and Blueribbon666 like this.
  12. BeerBuckeye

BeerBuckeye Savant (420) Ohio Oct 2, 2009

Oh God, Brady Hoke isn't coming down that weekend is he? Do we need to start hoarding food?
    nrbw23, Blueribbon666 and lurpy1 like this.
  13. lurpy1

lurpy1 Savant (480) Minnesota Jan 15, 2010

As a fan of hapless Minnesota, holier than thou behavior in the Big 10 is VERBOTEN. One ex coachis still finds hush money stapled to his sweater vests when he does laundry, and the school to the east is mad they got punished for letting an assistant cornhole kids. Compared to that, having a coach willing to eat his own avatar is no big deal. Pity their band only knows one song.

Back to the beer: Columbus Bodhi. If the brewpub is serving it, run, don't walk there. Until they bottle that bitch, this is your best chance to try it. Make the most of it.
    MrRockstar likes this.
  14. tcorder219

tcorder219 Aficionado (130) Ohio Mar 11, 2008

I'd like to add that the Columbus Brewing Restaurant is not owned or operated by the brewery. The restaurant purchases kegs like anyone else. Not a brewpub. (Long story, but true) That being said, you have a high likelihood of finding several Columbus Brewing beers on tap at said restaurant.

Columbus Brewing beers are on tap ALL OVER town. Some small batch beers that one might find on tap over the next few weeks are Sohio stout (w local coffee), Bodhi, Nightstick (black) IPA, fool's gold (dry hopped pale wheat, 4%ish), and finally Creeper in mid Feb.
    cratez likes this.
  15. itsthepleats

itsthepleats Savant (330) Ohio Mar 19, 2012

First, congrats on visiting such a great city in such a great state!

[​IMG]

Been meaning to respond here for a coupla days....busy times.

So, it looks like you've done your research. You'll have a great time. Here is some feedback on top of some good stuff above........below in BUCKEYE RED

- Bob's Bar on Friday night. 17 min. cab ride from downtown but the tap list seems worth it. Great call. Well worth the tap list. Just be ready for a DIVE bar....in a good way.
    - Schmidt's Sausage Haus for lunch on Saturday, followed by a walk up the Scioto Trail (from Bicentennial to North Bank and back again). Schmidts is great, but is a hike from the Scioto Mile (~30 mins)....especially in Jan. Although it may be balmy for a Canuck. You may enjoy walking around German Village after Schmidts. Just head west, as Schmidts is on the east border of German Village. Lots of info online about points of interest (schiller park, historic shtuff), but really just a cool neighborhood to walk around in. A small wine shop on 3rd, west of Schmidts sells craft...and I believe built a bar recently with taps. Scioto Mile is a great call too. There a newish foot/bike bridge on Main, and Milestone 229 (same owners as CBC restaurant I believe) is a great spot for a bite/dessert/beer (CBC IPA!). Barley's and Betty's on Sat. night since they're both highly-rated and within walking distance of each other. Hit up the North Market. It's directly behind Barleys. Great tourist spot with all the shops and there's a cool little bottle shop inside (Barrel and Bottle). Hours may not work for you tho...close at 5pm Sat, Sun. Friday is open until 7 so maybe stop on your way to Bob's. Betty's is a good call too but expect a small space. Plenty of other bars/shops around as the Short North is a great place to walk. Bernards, Jenny's Ice Cream (which is a decent tourist spot - summer more so).
    - Katzingers Deli for lunch on Sunday before catching the 2pm "Chicago" show at Shadowbox Live. After Katzingers walk south down High into German Village, before turning west to Shadowbox. It's a better walk than down Livingston which is busy with traffic exiting I-70. Pistacia Vera is my wifes favorite pasty shop around and worth a stop for dessert/coffee. Keep going to get to the Bookloft/Cup-o-Joe/Mo Joe Lounge corner (Mo Joe has craft taps) Book Loft great for browsing with coffee. Also, World of Beer is in the same building as Shadowbox so you should probably stop for a buzz there before the show...which are great. Bodega and Surly Girl Saloon on Sunday night, assuming they're open late. Yes, good call. If you happen to be into whiskey, check out Barrel 44 near Surly Girl.
    - Dirty Frank's Hot Dog Palace for lunch on Monday, then a bottle shop at Palmer's Beverage Center. It's right off the I-71N on our way home. As others have said, try Weilands just up Indianola or Savor market. I prefer both to Palmers although P's staff can be great. Weilands has 6 taps and fills your growler, 1/2 growler. Had Bodhi recently.

I'm curious to know if these are solid choices and whether you would recommend other bars/attractions over these ones. As others said, Columbus Brewing Company is near Shadowbox. Food at the restaurant is great. Just check hours. Plenty of spots tho in town with CBC's phenomenal hoppy brews. Another spot I've always been impressed with the tap list is 4th St. Pub. It's a college bar but also has a carry out section and I've often found FFF bombers there, although you may have to ask. They'll also fill your growler (had Cousin Eddie recently). It's close to 71-N and may be a stop on your way out. Oh, and Elevator Brewery is in a cool building, also downtown.

Also wondering about the general safety of downtown can get sketchy late but not bad, Short North is safe plenty of crowds, North High Street Fine, except when the drunks pile outta Bob's, and the parks I mentioned Safe, especially during the day (forgot to mention Columbus Commons....a new park just east of Bicentennial Park), as we plan to walk to most places from East State Street. I'm guessing walking b/w Barley's and Betty's and Bodega and Surly Girl should be no problem, but not sure about State to Katzinger's/Schmidt's 5/10 mins and Livingston Ave to South Front since I don't know the city as above, walk through German Village. Livingston is the north border of German Village and is busy....walking through the village is a much better stroll.

Finally, local beers to watch for. Columbus IPA is on my hit list, but what other beers would you suggest? Most of em mentioned. CBC stuff for sure. Barleys has a Friday Firkin that can get interesting and other decent stuff. Distro stuff: Three Floyds if you're lucky (both on tap or bottles - pretty rarish nowadays), Great Lakes, Hoppin Frog Your help here is greatly appreciated. Cheers Just finishin my beer, Cheers. Have a great trip. Feel free to BM with questions.
    cratez and miketd like this.
  16. Keffa

Keffa Savant (475) Ohio Jan 8, 2009

There's plenty of cool places in Columbus. For what it's worth, I'll second the Barrel and Bottle suggestion. I delivered a couple kegs to Colin today, Barrel and Bottle has Blackfooted Porter on their growler station, and Seventh Son has Bourbon Barrel Anastasia.

Barrel and Bottle also has 2010 Vintage Rodenbach on the shelf, along with Drie Fonteinen Oude Geuze, among others. Some really cool stuff to be had there and their prices aren't terrible.
    itsthepleats likes this.
  17. Spider889

Spider889 Advocate (640) Ohio Mar 24, 2010

I haven't been yet myself but there's a new place in town called The Daily Growler. They have 60 taps to choose from and (mostly) excellent growler prices, a few random ones are pretty steep. Currently they don't have a website so you'll have to look 'em up on Facebook. Anyway, that might be a good stop for beer in the hotel room or on the way back home.

Other growler stops are the CBC restaurant, Barrel and Bottle in the North Market, and Weilands which has been mentioned. A few others sell growlers but are overpriced imo.

All your other selections look good though, you'll have fun and definitely have some great beer.
    cratez and itsthepleats like this.
  18. itsthepleats

Been meaning to get to Seventh Son. Maybe Anastasia will seduce me in, thanks.

OP, Seventh Son is walkable from Bodegas. Colin (good guy) co-owns bodegas too so you could run into him at any of these three spots. And....yet another spot to check into is House Beer in the short north for your Saturday night.

(Edit to my above post: Meant to say walk down 3rd from katzingers...not high. Cheers)
  19. Spider889

House Beer is definitely a nice little bar. Small tap list but always well composed. They also regularly have Bodhi. ;-)
  20. Dude - THANK YOU for this response. It definitely clears a lot of things up for me. Cheers!

I appreciate the heads up. All are on my "watch for" list now.
  21. itsthepleats

Glad I could help! Hope you get some good weather.

And you may wanna postpone your trip for Creeper in February....(mostly) joking. It's Bodhi upped a notch. 10% Hopslam-esque:)

Cheers!
  22. I get out to Columbus about once a month or so for work. One of my favorite places which seldom seems to get mentioned is Yellow Brick Pizza. Brick oven pizza, 15 usually stellar taps and about 100 bottles. They usually always have something that World Of Beer even with its 50 taps/500 bottles doesn't.
    In Old Towne about a block off Broad Street @ 18th.
    itsthepleats likes this.
  23. Keffa

Yeah, The Daily Growler is one of the single nicest places I've seen. As someone who's delivered there, I can say that there's more to the price than the beer itself. I won't go further than that without John's go ahead.

They have Weasel Boy as well, they have Anastasia on tap.
    itsthepleats likes this.
  24. Funny you mention this. We're now eyeing either Columbus Brewing or Yellow Brick on Friday as it looks like Bob's doesn't do wine or food and my girlfriend is an oenophile who likes a bite to eat with her drinks. I'm gonna call Bob's tomorrow to confirm about the wine as I can probably convince her to do drinks then pitas next door if they have a decent sauvignon on hand, but if not we'll be heading elsewhere (gotta keep the lady happy). My only concern about Yellow Brick is that it closes kinda early - midnight I think? - and the surrounding neighbourhood looks like the finer parts of Detroit. Would we have any trouble catching a cab in that area around 12-1am?
  25. Keffa

Cabs are EVERYWHERE in Columbus. Maybe not NYC level, but still, even late, there are a fuckton on the streets.
  26. Spider889

Not blaming them for the few high prices. Those mostly coincide with expensive bottled beer anyways. It's just weird to see 50 taps at $8-14 and then a couple at $30+.
  27. masterofsparks

masterofsparks Savant (345) Ohio Nov 15, 2009

Yellow Brick is great, though you'll have to tolerate the art-school/hipster clientele. The neighborhood is definitely sketchy, especially late at night. Dunno about cabs, but I'm sure you can call one from inside the restaurant.
  28. itsthepleats

Yeah, not sure why Yellow Brick doesn't get brought up much. Great spot with some very unique taps as mentioned. Prolly my favorite happy hour in town with 1/2 off drafts and great pizza. Yes, this corner in Olde Town East is a bit ghetto but there are three relatively new businesses there, all solid. Yellow Brick, The Tavern, and the Angry Baker. All three cater more to the hipster crowd...than say CBCs restaurant, which is a bit more upscale and a larger space. CBC has great food but the wine list is lacking. Cabs should be waiting for people leaving yellow brick late, but if not just call one or have the bar call you one. They post their tap list online too so you can check it out first. Can't go wrong with either really.

House Wine could be a North High option to pair with Bobs on Friday? I've not been there but have heard great stuff...e.g. enough craft to keep beer geeks happy if the wives are wine-o's. It's next on my to-go list. So...beer at Bobs (to hit the "cultural hub of the Midwest") then wine/food up the road....or vice versa. Good luck!

This thread makes me happy to be in Cbus. Gotta check out the daily growler soon.

EDIT: sorry didn't see your post there sparks....looks like we're on the same page.
  29. Envelopes

Envelopes Initiate (0) Ohio Aug 26, 2012

I wouldn't go wandering the streets at night with a wad of cash in my teeth, but I wouldn't call that part of Olde Town sketchy. I've never felt uncomfortable around there and I have friends with a place around the corner.Yellow Brick is also expanding to ~30 taps in the next month or two! And when I was in a few days ago they still had bottles of Zombie Dust which I don't think they list on their menu ($4.50 is pretty good when that's what stores are charging for singles).

As for the Tavern, it's a pretty nice place and has some good food but I find their brews to be pretty expensive. $6 for a bottle of Head Hunter!?
  30. itsthepleats

30 taps? Nice! Looking forward to that especially considering the stellar taps they find now. Been awhile but was impressed with the taps at the tavern too (or maybe it was the bartender..)
  31. JLebowski

JLebowski Aficionado (150) Ohio Aug 3, 2008

Man, a lot of great advice in this thread, honestly I would take their advice over my own BUT not to muddy the water, Bodega on Friday would be a good time, given that you can get there by 4 or very shortly thereafter. In my opinion, the best selection in Columbus, half off drafts from 4-8 and pretty good food. Something to think about, I guess....and a way to save money.

Eek, I don't know about the wine selection though, never paid any attention. Also, pizza at circus, which is a few blocks north of bodega, deep dish with corn bread crust and all the stuff, or most of the stuff, is made in house. Their tap list is far from spectacular but they usually have one or two good beers on tap.

Also, if you find yourself hungry late at night, or anytime that other places are closed, Hound dogs pizza is open 24/7 and has fantastic, although greasy, pizza. The connected bar always has stone ipa and arrogant bastard on tap. Kinda hole-in-the-wallish.

Just some stuff to keep in mind, I suppose.
    itsthepleats likes this.
  32. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Savant (490) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

Living in NE Ohio, I've always wondered why CBC's distro is pretty meager outside the state capital's region. I can find it more lately, but they've been around a while(20+yrs?) & always wished they were easier to find. Their Summer Teeth is one of the few "summer" beers I enjoy, especially finally finding it last summer, this & Brooklyn's Summer would be regular "summer" session material if their distro up this way was a little more widespread.
  33. tcorder219

tcorder219 Aficionado (130) Ohio Mar 11, 2008

Our current geographic footprint for distribution is heavily influenced by the fact that the demand in Columbus is sky high. We opened up distribution in NE Ohio in 1st Q 2012. Unfortunately we've been able to send very little beer up there because Columbus has been drinking it all. This is after almost doubling capacity last summer. We're hoping/planning an additional expansion that will allow us to make more beer for all.

Also....glad u dig SummerTeeth!

Cheers,

Tony- Columbus Brewing
    itsthepleats likes this.
  34. itsthepleats

Tony,

Well, I for one am definitely drinking my share of your distribution. Great to hear of a potential expansion! Does that mean more creeper:)? Love that stuff. Looking forward to February. I think the hop odyssey series was the culprit....really lit the fire and showed off your talent with the hops. And with Bodhi's reputation on here (well deserved) you may have trouble making enough to bottle, even with an expansion. Thanks for the post here and whatever you're doing to make these standout brews, keep it up.

Cheers!
    Envelopes likes this.
  35. masterofsparks

masterofsparks Savant (345) Ohio Nov 15, 2009

The Daily Growler is a bit out of the way but worth the trip. They only serve beer (no food, no wine), though I think they'll let you bring in food from adjoining businesses (it's in a non-descript strip mall). 60 taps with some great choices (French Oak Vertical Epic 10.10.10!), and in addition to growlers, you can get 5 oz pours or pints. I like to get 3 or 4 of the 5 oz pours to check out a bunch of different stuff without getting totally smashed. In my last two visits, I was able to try Rodenbach Grand Cru, the afore-mentioned Oaked 10.10.10, Ballast Point Sculpin, Green Flash Palate Wrecker, and Oskar Blues Deviant Dale's. Their taps turn over quite frequently (I missed Lagunitas Sucks!), but the list is available online so you'll know what they have before you go.
  36. You guys have been a great help. Friday is still up in the air - leaning towards CBC then Jury Room (open til 1) if we wanna keep the party going - but thanks to your recos we'll have no shortage of options to choose from. Cheers!
  37. itsthepleats

You'll have to let us know what kinda trouble you find. Here's two more for ya, close to E. State and open late.....Little Palace (right next to dirty franks), and Club 185 (neighborhood bar on north side of German village that can get going late). Cheers!
    cratez likes this.
  38. MajorBuckeye

Jury Room is kinda neat in terms of atmosphere, but not very spacious. World of Beer would be within walking distance of CBC and they do serve some wine. Not sure how late they are open though.
    cratez likes this.
  39. Geno78

Geno78 Aficionado (215) Ohio Apr 1, 2010

I'll definitely second the nomination of Little Palace. Only about 5-6 taps, but always good ones... and, as a Cannuck, you might appreciate their take on poutine.
  40. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Savant (490) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

Tony, I totally get it I have friends in Cbus & visit a few times a year it is a great town for craft beer. Great places to enjoy it & great places to purchase it, so I am not surprised to hear of the demand. It says a lot for a market that's still opening new establishments & with all of the competition a place like Fatheads is willing to enter that crowded market.