1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Canuck seeking advice on Columbus

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by cratez, Jan 8, 2013.

1. BeerBuckeye

BeerBuckeye Savant (430) Ohio Oct 2, 2009

Keep it comin'! We don't mind.

Keffa likes this.
  2. Keffa

Keffa Advocate (540) Ohio Jan 8, 2009

Indeed.

On a side note, Tony, I got to try Sohio Stout. Other than being a little thin body wise, it's a damned good stout. I'd drink it on a regular basis if it were available.

3. TacoHugs

TacoHugs Aficionado (120) Illinois Jun 29, 2011

Dudes,
    You forgot Hound Dogs pizza. That is some serious death row pizza. http://hounddogspizza.com I've routed road trips into c-bus just for a slice of that Hound.

itsthepleats likes this.
  4. ditka311

ditka311 Aficionado (190) Illinois Aug 22, 2009

I didn't know people went to Columbus on purpose. Well, maybe if the Blackhawks are playing since 1) you can find a seat and 2) it's cheaper to drive to OH and see a game then actually go to one at the UC.

Otherwise I am completely confused.

5. Keffa

The Wimpy City is better? :p

6. ditka311

ditka311 Aficionado (190) Illinois Aug 22, 2009

As a city, yes. The bs that comes with it....well....thank God I don't live in Cook County!

7. Keffa

Only thing good about Chicago is the Bears. Goose Island gets an honorable mention for Vanilla, since it's my alone on an island beer.

8. Spider889

Spider889 Advocate (685) Ohio Mar 24, 2010

You're apparently mostly talking sports rivalry, but still I must assume you've never been to Chicago. Awesome city in all ways beer-related (and all around too imo).

9. Keffa

I've been there, several times. I have family there and in Springfield. I've just never really liked that city at all. No real concrete reasoning, just how I felt about it. Maybe I'd like it more now than the last time I was there, which was at 18.

And I don't know about you, but they definitely don't know how to do pizza there. I mean, tomato soup in a bread bowl with meats and shit thrown in? Please, that's not a pie.

BeerBuckeye and Spider889 like this.
  10. MajorBuckeye

MajorBuckeye Savant (350) Ohio Jan 8, 2012

This isn't really beer/wine specific, but here is a link to the Experience Columbus website you might want to check out. Lots of good hotel discounts for this weekend if that is of any help.
    http://www.experiencecolumbus.com/blog/?p=8363

You also might want to check out ColumbusUnderground.com on Thursday. They post a nice roundup of local events under a Columbus Mega Weekend - Winter 2013 - Vol. X headline. Here is an example from this past weekend:
    http://www.columbusunderground.com/columbus-mega-weekend-winter-2013-vol-8

11. tcorder219

tcorder219 Aficionado (140) Ohio Mar 11, 2008

Keff- did u try the first batch we did in the fall? Or the most recent batch released within the last 10 days? Batch 1 was def a little thin, which we feel we've remedied in batch 2. We're pretty happy with where it stands now, especially for what it's intended to be. Just tweaking process, qtys, etc with the coffee beans at this point.

12. Keffa

I had it this past week @ The Daily Growler. Don't get me wrong Tony, it's one of the best stouts I've had in a while, but body wise, I thought it was a little thin. If that's what you were shooting for though, you nailed it :p

13. MajorBuckeye

MajorBuckeye Savant (350) Ohio Jan 8, 2012