1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Cape Cod Brew Fest

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by KBrennan1000, Sep 24, 2012.

1. I was just curious to see how many people are going and what their thoughts are on how it's going to go. I'm personally excited to have a craft beer fest on Cape Cod but I wish the breweries were bringing more of their rare stuff. Or at the very least have the VIP tickets allow access to things that aren't readily available in stores. I still think it will be fun though and I hope it expands the appreciation and awareness of craft beer down here.

2. koflaherty

koflaherty Savant (255) New Jersey Nov 11, 2009

I looked at going because I'm going to be near Falmouth that weekend, but it doesn't look like too much of interest for a BA. The breweries and the beers are all readily available. The VIP tickets seem like a rip off; nothing being offerred is any more exotic than what you can get with the regular tickets (although you do get to use 'VIP bathrooms'). Barnstable Country fairgrounds is not that beautiful a locale either.

That said, I agree that I'm glad they are putting it together and the organization seems very professional. The Cape is terrific in September and October and more people should get a chance to enjoy it. I would think for the non-beer geek it would be a good time.

3. To be completely transparent, 90% of why I'm going is because a friend bought me tickets. The other 10% is because I want to support more craft beer stuff on Cape Cod. Maybe if there were more events like this then "my" shop wouldn't have failed in such spectacular fashion.

4. Poorpatz

Poorpatz Savant (255) Massachusetts Apr 27, 2010

I will be attending in hopes that my support will lead to more and better fests in the future. I live very close to the fairgrounds. I was wondering if there was any interest in a bottle share.

5. Oo, that could be fun. What goodies do you have? I have a pretty full cellar that I could grab some stuff out of.

6. Poorpatz

My cellar is deep but not to rare. I have Abacus and Sucabu for a side by side, also a 10 Black ops. A few others that I can't think of right of hand but I will open pretty much anything I have. There are a bunch of really good stouts and barley wines. Which session are you going to attend?

7. corey0212

corey0212 Savant (340) Connecticut Oct 27, 2007

I'm thrilled about this event. I can't effing wait. Great breweries, great beer list. First-ever beer festival on the Cape....yeah, it's just win-win here. I'll be there pouring for both sessions. Come say hi.

Corey
    Cape Cod Beer

8. I am very excited about this event too. Seems strange that one would say... "Not too much interest for a BA" doesn't BA stand for Beer Advocate? BA does not stand for... "Beer festival that only has the rarest beers" This is a craft beer festival, not a rare beer festival. And from the list, a few very cool beers will be there.

To me, by not supporting a cool local event like this that has a decent ticket price, seems to be not advocating for beer. But more so, going against what we are trying to do, which is present better beer to people. but hey, that's me.

We can be assured, from my conversations with the folks putting the fest together, that this will be a well run event. This is first shot and they are already doing things the right way. Apparently it is close to a sell out. (there are still tickets available I think)

Also. how often do you get to hang with brewers, breweries owners, brewery sales folks, and other cool beer people at an outside festival on the cape in September? Well, until now, never!
    I am really looking forward to this one!
    see you everyone tomorrow!
    Matthew
    BLATANT Beer

smutty33 likes this.
  9. Nice lineup of beers. Hope you have a great time and good weather. Cheers

10. corey0212

Thanks, Matthew. That's just what I was thinking, but couldn't really put into words, so I just went for "wildly enthusiastic" instead. I think folks are forgetting that there's a big gap between your average craft beer drinker and your average hardcore beer geek. This thread here...I'm gonna say hardcore beer geeks, all of us. But this fest (I think) is definitely geared towards the people who buy craft beer, and drink craft beer, but maybe don't obsess over it like we do. They buy what they like, they like what they buy, and that's that. So for them, this beer list is probably rather exotic. I mean, there are people in my family that love craft beer, but if I ever asked them if they've tried Three Philosophers (first beer that popped into my head), that's a guaranteed "no". I also think this fest will do a great job attracting people who may not venture outside the occasional sixer of Sam Adams. I mean, they've been selling tickets for this at package stores all over the Cape...so you know there's gotta be plenty of people who saw the signs and said "Oh. Hey. Cool. A beer festival at the fairgrounds....that sounds fun".

I mean, I guess I can understand someone who has had (or knows where to get) all these beers not wanting to pony up for the cost of the tickets. Working the event, I can't really speak objectively about that. But again, to echo what Matthew said, by all accounts, this looks to be a very professional event (it is inside though, based on the recent facebook pictures...which is good, considering the forecast), and should be a wicked cool time.

I will now perform my pre-beer fest ritual of writing down all the beers I want to try tomorrow....because I do that.

Corey
    Cape Cod Beer

konabrewer likes this.
  11. Can you buy tickets at the fairgrounds on the day of? Or were they only for sale ahead of time?

12. Poorpatz

There are a limited amount of tickets on sale right now so get to the fairgrounds soon if you really want to go.

13. Just as I suspected. For a first year event, this was the best executed beer fest i have ever been part of. Matt and his team were amazing! The event was basically a sell out and the 600-700 people that were there had a great time.

Way to go for CRAFT BEER and Cape Cod!

Matthew
    BLATANT Beer

CapeCodBeer likes this.
  14. corey0212

It was an awesome time. Very laid back atmosphere, lines were moving right along....just all around a well-run event. Looking forward to next time!!

CapeCodBeer and konabrewer like this.