1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Capital to brew an IPA

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by Ri0, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (935) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

Finally a move away from the malty German beers they are known for, Capital Brewery has their label approved to brew an IPA.

I know it won't happen, but if they were smart they would brew a hopped up Citra IPA (Zombie Dust!) and finally give WI a great IPA. We have a few good IPA's, but nothing that stands out.

[​IMG]

Bitter_Echo likes this.
  2. They'll be releasing a DIPA in 22 oz bottles a month before the IPA as well.

3. steveh

steveh Advocate (705) Illinois Oct 8, 2003

Just what the shelves need, another IPA. o_O

Mutiny? Hardly. This is bandwagon-jumping at best.

4. Ri0

Not another IPA, but a world class IPA. Fat chance I know.

5. crossovert

crossovert Champion (790) Illinois Mar 29, 2009

But we need 15 different kinds of doppelbock from one brewer?

I'll try the new ipa but I doubt it will be that great.

6. steveh

I like IPA as much as anyone (okay, maybe not as much as anyone, but I enjoy it), but how many can be flooded on to shelves? And for Capital to follow the trend like this is sort of disappointing to me.

You're right, though, it will be interesting to try, but I can't imagine it's going to be anything earth shaking.

Vav likes this.
  7. steveh

Methinks you exaggerate a bit, but then again -- if it's the only brewery actually brewing a Doppelbock, why not?

Me at the shelves: "Hmm, an IPA, or a Doppelbock? Oh, wait -- I only see Sam Adams Doppelbock. Time to drive to Wisconsin." :rolleyes:

8. crossovert

And I agree with the poster above there isn't really any totally outstanding IPA coming out of WI, some pretty good ones but nothing world class in bottles.

9. crossovert

Capital with their BA beers has just about 15 different doppelbocks or imperial bocks that they make.

10. Flyway

Flyway Zealot (85) Wisconsin Oct 22, 2012

Well, I will be at Bockfest at the brewery in 2 weeks... can we get a taste?!?!

11. steveh

Ask me, I don't know where there is an outstanding IPA these days. They're all variations on the same theme of trying to stunt palates with hops.

Vav and misterid like this.
  12. crossovert

Lagunitas Sucks, 8.99, world-class. Double Jack (prob the best take on the style, its won some medals for sure) both avail in the area.

13. Ri0

Uh, where is Double Jack in WI?

14. Ri0

Nothing Citra in WI that is any good.

15. steveh

Had some last week, not impressed -- which is not to say it was bad, just not impressive. I've just had too many IPAs over the last 20 or so years to be impressed.

I'll look for it and report back.

16. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Double Jack is good, Sucks is rather un-impressive to me. Rather support a Michigan brewery.
    I know we are talking about IPA's, but Illumination is a truly great WI IPA, even if it's a double. Best I've had personally.

KevinMc79 likes this.
  17. Ri0

When will it be Brewed again?

18. steveh

Wait, this Double Jack? Don't get me started on Double IPAs now -- I'm just talking about IPAs. Doubling the mix just leaves me more unsatisfied.

On the other hand, when I tried the Firestone Pale Ale and IPA made for Trader Joe's I'll admit they were the closest to being impressed by the styles in a long time, so maybe the DJ might too.

19. crossovert

I would agree about the illumination. I think or the price sucks is hard to beat.

20. MarcatGSB

Their website doesn't have a date, but I typically remember it being released in early March to April. It's worth seeking out, gets great reviews here and the other site.

21. crossovert

I meant lake county, il.

22. crossovert

some decently fresh dj is in the back cooler of antioch liquor. And you haven't had too many of any other style in the passed 20 years to be impressed? Good beer is good beer imo, doesn't matter the style.

23. Ale Asylum Bedlam is outstanding. Wish it were year round.

24. Ri0

I love that Ale Asylum has seasonal IPAs. I know they are fresh!

25. MarcatGSB

Have they managed to figure out how to make fresh pizza's to order yet? That would be a cool trick.

stevegoz likes this.
  26. steveh

(not sure just what you're asking here) I'll admit, I haven't been wowed in a long time. Color me bored.

Good, yes. Impressive enough to get excited over (yet) another take on the style added to shelves? No.

27. crossovert

Maybe you should unhinge some of the beer biases you have... you might be surprised at the quality of beers out there that aren't german-styled. And this is coming form a guy who has nothing but pilsener brewed in germany in his fridge atm.

28. I look forward to the day when I read "Finally a move away from the hoppy West Coast beers they are known for..."

Capital has done several non-German styles. To wit: US Pale Ale, Rustic Ale, Island Wheat, Hop Cream, Prairie Gold, Brown Ale, Vintage Ale, Baltic Porter, Pumpkinataur Wrex, and that experimental brew from a few years ago which, if memory serves, was a wheat beer made with Belgian yeast. Why would you say "Finally"?

"if they were smart they would brew a hopped up Citra IPA..."

I hope Brian Destree isn't reading this because I think he's done a nice job and your comment is extremely patronizing. You profess to be smart so please let us know when the last time you ran a brewery that made 30,000+ barrels per year was and how many Citra IPAs it produced. You sound like you won't ever be happy until every beer brewed in Wisconsin is a hop-forward pale ale of one stripe or another.

I hope Mutiny works out for Capital and that this doesn't spell the end of Munich Dark.

Vav, bismarksays and FishAndBeer like this.
  29. It is bandwagon-jumping. Destree himself said, "I think, and we're trying to get back to the younger demographic and give them something that's hot right now."

30. steveh

No beer biases at all. I even said above that I like an IPA now and then (like a Stout, an ESB and a Pale now and again too) -- just because I'm not wowed doesn't mean I'm biased.

Once again, good? Yes. Impressed? Not so much these days.

I'll be right over!

But really, it's the same reflection in the mirror -- I drink a lot of German-style beers (and I'm honestly not often wowed by them either), but that doesn't make me biased at all toward other styles (see comment above about TJ's by Firestone -- or see a few of my latest reviews. Just not as easily impressed after so many years in the beer scene.

31. Ri0

Just head to Sals Tomato Pies, you will be blown away. It will ruin any other pizza that you ever have again though.

32. MarcatGSB

Thanks...it was just a jab at Ale Ayslum and their premade pizzas is all.

33. KevinMc79

KevinMc79 Aficionado (240) Illinois Oct 29, 2008

Ale Asylum Satisfaction Jackson is pretty tasty as well. But Double Illumination is great.

34. crossovert

But think about it there are new hop varieties, brewing techniques. I agree that some of the old techniques are the standard but there is some good stuff going on now, just have to have an open mind. Just trying to offer some advice if you feel your in a rut.

And let me know what beers you wanna see brewed ill try to do something for you. I have an altbier in the wings, also gonna make a bretted ba version based on a sample of Uerige I had that seemed a bit infected but it worked.

35. steveh

New brewing techniques? If you mean adding different ingredients, that is not a "technique." Please explain (and I'll tell you if I've ever experienced these new phenomenons).

The "rut" I'm in is the rut of the same ol' thing on shelves -- which isn't always bad when I want a beer, but it's certainly not anything that "wows" me.

36. crossovert

Techniques such as new methods of hop whirlpooling has helped ipas get better hop flavors. We are learning more and more about what affects the flavor, bitterness, and aroma of hops. Plus all of the barrel-aged and sour stuff that seems to progress each year.

37. steveh

Point me to some beers that are using these techniques (especially if they're something LtL is doing), I'd definitely be interested to see if I'm wowed.

Barrel-aged, sour stuff. Zzzzzzzzz.

38. crossovert

We don't have the equipment yet but as soon as we get a new system illl be guns ablazing using it.

Have you tried the Bayerischer Bahnhof ba holzbock, its pretty good. Or their sours. Great German brewery doing great things. BA Aventinus is also amazing.

39. Ok well WI has a year round world class IPA IMO it is called Lakefront IPA.... I know I am not alone in this thinking, as far as citrus IPA's go, you can get no better. Also we have Ballistic IPA and Bedlam rotating, Tyranena Bitter Woman and scurvy, Rush River IPA and Potosi Snake Hollow.... I think we are doing just fine on the IPA front. All of those are great! Enjoy what you have, also we have Moon Man which in my opinion is the greatest pale to ever be on the earth.... Have never had Zombie dust but have had most of the big hitters in the catagory and nothin does it for me the way Moon Man does. Moral of the story, be thankful for what you have, which is access to some of the best beers from around the country and living in one of the best beer states around!

Cheers!

40. crossovert

Lakefornt is solid, but hesitate o call it world class.