1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Captain Lawrence: Rosso E Marrone (and others)

Discussion in 'US - Mid-Atlantic' started by 1up, Mar 27, 2013.

1. From their website on 03.25.13:

[​IMG]

The wait for the beloved Rosso E Marrone sour ale won’t be nearly as long. The beer’s release used to prompt diehard fans of the Rosso to drive from miles around to sleep outside the old Pleasantville location, like those camping out for the latest iPhone, before the beer’s release. Captain Lawrence won’t post a release date in advance, but will make the Rosso E Marrone’s availability known on the website soon as the beer, currently bottle-conditioning in the brewery, is ready.

http://www.captainlawrencebrewing.com/notes-from-the-tasting-room-vol-53/
  2. mikeyv35

mikeyv35 Savant (365) New York Oct 15, 2008

These silent releases absolutely suck ass! I miss the old announced releases w/ the picnic table and good friends and the guy that use to set up a tent and give out free pulled pork sandwiches in the name of good beer. Now, the only people that can attend these retarded silent releases are people that don't have a serious career. Most BAs that have jobs/careers cannot tell their employer the night before that they need the next day off. Life does not work like that. Who came up with this idea anyway? Must have been some jobless college guy that kept arriving late to releases and getting shutout due to his piss poor planning.
    maddogg, cavedave and Franch like this.
  3. If the brewery were still where it was, with tons of room for parking and partying, I'd be more inclined to agree with you. Without that location, pre-announced releases would just turn into ridiculously long lines with nothing to do in them, and people getting shut out of the beer without having a party/tasting as consolation.

If you want to have a big party along with a beer release, go to Dark Lord Day. Not every brewery also wants to be a event planning business, and without a well-planned event preannounced releases are no fun for anyone.

Silent releases certainly do reward those with flexible schedules, but since they often also allow the beer to remain available for more than a day or two it balances out somewhat.

Overall, it's just beer. If you get some, great. If not, there's plenty of other tasty stuff to drink. Be positive and enjoy what you have instead of complaining about what you don't.

Cheers!
    iguenard, BellportBeer, JxExM and 3 others like this.
  4. They can never take away the Batch 1 Rosso release. The most insane bottle share ever.
    Knifestyles and ClockworkOrange like this.
  5. mikeyv35

It's not like Captain Lawrence releases were ever a problem and there was no need to change to a silent release. It's not like a ton of people were getting shut out every release or anything. In NY, the Southampton and Captain Lawrence releases were always the best bottle sharing events w/ tons of good people, so it's a shame that this is gone at Southampton. No, it's not just beer. The game is about good times w/ good friends and generosity and advocacy. Now, the possibility of this is gone at Southampton. Also, I never minded standing in line at any release because I was always talking about and drinking good beer w/ good people. Plus, voyaging and waiting in long lines to get a beer you have been seeking is called earning your beer. I have been shutout at a few releases and I still don't want silent releases. I have yet to see any line at a beer release where somebody was not secretly sharing a bottle of something. Why does there have to be a consolation? Thats like when I wrestled as a kid and would lose and not place at a tournament, but they would still give you a consolation trophy for participating and then you would end up throwing it in the trash or smashing it. There is something to be said about earning your beer, these new style silent releases just promote the unemployed and those that happen to just get lucky w/ their schedule.

In the end, it's not just Southampton that has changed, it's the whole beer scene. So yes, I guess I am complaining about the new beer scene and the new way of doing things.
    cavedave likes this.
  6. I miss the picnic table as much as you do, but it's demise is hardly due to any negative change in the beer culture in general. It's my understanding is that they switched to silent releases not because of problems with the earlier model (although it had gotten rather out of hand, cf. Castleton b4 where tickets were gone by 4am or something silly), but simply because they moved to a new brewery and no longer have the outdoor space to accomodate the crowds that would flock to a pre-announced release.

Like I said, it's great when breweries can provide an atmosphere that makes the distribution of a limited beer an opportunity for camaraderie, but there are TONS of opportunities for enjoying beer with friends that don't include the sale of a rare brew.
  7. mikeyv35

I agree w/ you, but the sale of a rare beer is a fantastic reason for fun and camaraderie and I hate to see one of those opportunities over and done with. Back to the beer scene, I don't think the scene has declined, but more the type of people in the scene. I miss the hardcore guys that were truly passionate about beer which are still around, but are in the minority now. However, I guess as anything grows in popularity and gets more mainstream the punk rock coolness of it fades and before long your left w/ your neighbor's babysitter talking to you about how much she loves Hoegaarden. Also she created a BA profile because it reminds her of facebook and now she uses that quick rating link because she does not have the energy to write a full review. Then the babysitter w/ her flexible schedule happens to get bottles of Cuvee De Castleton or the rerelease of Little Linda's Liquid while you could not get off of work on a 8 hour notice.

All I want to do is stand in line w/ Suitcase Jon aka Capra12 and cavedave and talk about Alt Bier and share rare brew from my cellar while we wait.
    maddogg and RCM505 like this.
  8. Yes, we liked rare beer before it was cool, and can therefore be forever secure in our sense of superiority over the Hoegaarden-swilling (and mispronouncing) rabble. ;)
  9. Knifestyles

Knifestyles Savant (445) New York Jun 7, 2005

I think that anyone with a serious career probably isn't whining about not being able to make it to a beer release.

Or wait.....is that too sweeping of a generalization?
  10. Mag00n

Mag00n Savant (320) New York Nov 21, 2008

People pissing all over the sides of the building, tickets gone by 4am, people taking 10 or more, people def did get shut out of both rosso and cdc. Not to mention all the people from the 'picnic table' have to eventually drive home. I think its pretty easy to see how a brewery may not want to deal with all that.

Having said that, it really sucks. Rosso 2 was my first intro to limited releases and mass bottle shares and it was awesome.
    shutyourface likes this.
  11. Knifestyles

Don't forget about the stolen pipe fittings....and also the bloody drunk dudes with soaking wet pants walking into traffic.

Yeah, good times.
    OddNotion, BTPete and woosterbill like this.
  12. SpeedwayJim

SpeedwayJim Advocate (700) New York Jun 19, 2009

Selfishly, I like these silent releases from CL. I have a career and a full time job but luckily, my lab is 15 minutes from the brewery so I still get to drive by on my lunch hour and pick things up if need be. :)

I don't really have an opinion on silent releases in general and why CL decided to start going with this model. However, I was told by the tasting room manager that they discontinued the announced releases SPECIFICALLY because they were a problem, there were too many people showing up for bottle shares that couldn't control themselves, too many people getting shut out, and too many complaints in general.

I don't think the new location has anything to do with the silent release model. If anything, because they're located in the back of a uhaul parking lot, out of the way, and in a much bigger space, it would be MORE conducive to a planned release.
  13. Knifestyles

Being released today....but that shouldn't have been too much of a surprise if you kept a close eye on their Facebook/Instagram.

So for all of you BA's who don't have jobs/careers....HAVE AT IT!

[​IMG]

WHIP IT OUT WEDNESDAY: "ROSSO E MARRONE"
    Brown ale fermented with grapes & aged in oak barrels.
    $15/bottle. 6 bottle max. 12.7oz bottles. 250 cases made.

AVAILABLE TODAY IN THE CLBC TASTING ROOM ONLY!!!! —
    Krebsy, sandman3479, gory4d and 5 others like this.
  14. gah. ISO. god dammit.
  15. Crookdrain

Crookdrain Savant (385) New York Jan 13, 2010

Which kind BAer is capable of purchasing one bottle for me today, since I'm at work til at least 7? I can Paypal you or trade you in beer. Let me know, would really appreciate it. It will be worth your while, I promise.
  16. I miss the old 375 mL bottles :(
  17. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

Timing doesn't work out for me again, gah.

ISO? FT Tired Hands bottles? Or maybe a 1L growler of Light that Spills for a Cable Car? ;)
  18. NJOssie

NJOssie Savant (265) New Jersey Feb 28, 2012

Nick, I'll let you know if I make it up there.
    xnicknj and Crookdrain like this.
  19. To all the whiners: Things change all the time. Suck it up and get used to it. If you can't get there yourself, have someone you trust or a non-beer drinker go for you.
    JxExM likes this.
  20. mdfb79

mdfb79 Advocate (670) New York Jan 11, 2010

Anyone think these will last until tomorrow night, or based on their recent releases will these be gone today? Can't make it out there tonight but could tomorrow night.
  21. Knifestyles

By my math (assuming these are 12 bottle cases since these are 375's), it would take 500 people getting their full allotment before fully selling out.

That's a lot of people for a last-minute release announcement. I'd be shocked if they sold out within the next couple days.
    cosmicevan and SpeedwayJim like this.
  22. Crookdrain

Crookdrain Savant (385) New York Jan 13, 2010

If you end up going, please let me know - I'd love a bottle if you're willing to trade.
    Otherwise, I can drive up on Saturday afternoon and grab some if there are any left (along with some Smoke from the Oak Rum Barrel-Aged).
  23. mdfb79

mdfb79 Advocate (670) New York Jan 11, 2010

What I was hoping for to and hoping to hear. :)

I'll probably give them a call when I'm finishing up work tomorrow to confirm. If 500 people make it there in the next 30 hours before me, will have to try and trade for a bottle.
  24. Looks like the first Rosso release I'll be missing. No way I'll make it with the tasting room's limited hours.
  25. ISO if anyone wants to trade
  26. Anyone know if they are cool with sharing bottles outside these days on line? IF I can run out of work should I be bringing some stuff to share?
  27. Knifestyles

Nope. No outside bottles. They're pretty solid about this, so I wouldn't chance it.
  28. Thanks for the heads up. Probably wouldn't help my driving anyways.
  29. sobeleg

sobeleg Savant (470) New York Jun 29, 2011

Anyone going up there today or tomorrow who would be interested in a trade or doing a favor? :)
  30. So who's going to Torst afterwards?

Also, anyone know of any shops near CL that have or may be getting KBS?
  31. acurtis

acurtis Advocate (735) New Jersey Sep 27, 2010

I have yet to see a line outside at the new place, I hope that doesn't change today.
  32. Knifestyles

I'm hoping that the combination of both a last-minute announcement and a significantly increased batch size will keep things relatively mellow...at least for this afternoon.

I know the last few "silent" releases haven't been too much of a clusterfuck even with incredibly small bottle counts (i.e. Golden Sour, BS Sour Cherry).
  33. SpeedwayJim

SpeedwayJim Advocate (700) New York Jun 19, 2009

Just to be fair though, didn't Golden Sour sell out within a day and wasn't BS Sour Cherry right after the hurricane (ie. the gasoline crisis)? I know I waited in line for gas for 4 hours just so I could get to the brewery when they released the latter.
    cosmicevan likes this.
  34. Franch

Franch Advocate (540) New York Mar 22, 2011

golden sour sold out in like two hours. it was announced at 4pm and sold before the tasting room closed.
  35. Knifestyles

Yes....which is why they weren't clusterfucks.

EDIT: Basically, what I'm saying is that it hasn't been a total mob-scene when trying to get these releases as of late. Each time I've gone (for all of them), it's been a super-casual walk in/walk out type of deal. Not sure what other's experiences have been, but I haven't seen too much of a shitshow like the Pleasantville releases.

DOUBLE EDIT: To further the point, the limited number of bottles for those respective releases helped to keep it mellow, I feel. Those far enough away likely felt that they wouldn't make it there in time before 200 bottles went out the door....which is a fairly easy task for CL to handle.
    SpeedwayJim likes this.
  36. BeerWorld

BeerWorld Savant (360) New York Feb 20, 2008

Did it really? I thought it stayed there for a couple of days. I said fuck gas, drove out there, but could not get off the exit for what seemed like an eternity because of cars queued up to get gas at the local gas station around the corner. Fun times! I did get the Cherry though.
  37. Knifestyles

Yeah, the BS Cherry lasted a while, actually. I recall going back a few days later and it was still there. Golden Sour was a different story. Gone in a flash.....so no real "line" to deal with in that sense.
  38. BeerWorld

BeerWorld Savant (360) New York Feb 20, 2008

Gotcha. Got confused between these two silent releases. I did not even consider to get GS for that reason since I was busy but was off work during the other release.
  39. dtmets84

dtmets84 Aficionado (235) New York Dec 31, 2011

If anyone is heading up north from NYC and wants some company, feel free to bm me.
  40. Timmush

Timmush Savant (330) New Jersey Jan 5, 2008

The tickets are out now! (Sorry..it's tradition)
    cosmicevan, maddogg, cavedave and 5 others like this.