1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Car (or train) trip from Maastricht to Brussels - help me plan!

Discussion in 'Benelux' started by atomeyes, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Heya,
    I'm heading to Maastricht in May for an exam. I'm likely landing in Amsterdam, training it to Brussels and then having fun for a week to 10 days.
    I've been to Belgium once before (Gent, Bruges, Oostvleteren and Westvleteren and Antwerp) so I am pretty much open to anything. Obviously, I'll need to make my way west from Brussels to Maastricht (debating about car or train), so suggestions on the way there would be great.

2. Dennoman

Dennoman Advocate (505) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

Maastricht is east from Brussels, and to be honest the east of the country is nothing to really write home about. There's Achel and Liege, but I really wouldn't go out of my way for those.

3. would you go out of your way to drive down to Soy to drink at Fantome?

4. I stayed 6 nights in Maastricht last October, and used train for most of my travel (save for a 1-day car rental to get to Bastogne). Not easy to get to a lot of Belgian places from Maas... gots to connect via Liege mostly... Here's a good rail map: http://www.bueker.net/trainspotting/map.php?file=maps/benelux/benelux.gif

Good places to quaff in Maas, though... Frape; Knijnspiep; Pothuiske....

Prosit!!