1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

carapils in a dipa?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by SFACRKnight, Jan 8, 2013.

1. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

Yea or nea?
  2. Since I like a touch of sweetness in my IPAs, I tend to mash a bit on the high side. This has the side benefit of enhancing the body, so I have no need for it. If I was going for bone dry, I wouldn't hesitate to throw a half pound or so into a 5 gallon batch.

Edit: I just noticed, you're talking about DIPA, not IPA. FG tends to be higher (1.010+ versus 1.005-ish for my IPAs) leaving plenty of body, so I'd vote nay.
  3. Vinnie does it. Lots of other west coast brewers do it. I've had good luck with it. Just keep it below 5% of your malt bill.
  4. Yes, + sugar
    nozferatu46 likes this.
  5. inchrisin

inchrisin Savant (425) Indiana Sep 25, 2008

not for me. I'd use the right kinds and right amount of crystals.
  6. SFACRKnight

I'm looking at honey in ddition to the carapils.
  7. That's sugar...albeit an expensive one with delicate properties
  8. "the right kinds "...care to elaborate?
  9. SFACRKnight

Think they'll get lost in an IIPA? I dig honey in my beers, but have never used it in such a big beer.
  10. Let's get this out of the way...I think it' a waste (use regular ole table sugar)

...,But not being one to foist my beliefs on others :rolleyes: I would advise to use good quality honey (made by bees), and add @ KO or in the secondary to preserve the delicate esters of the honey.

IIPA screams eucalyptus honey...if you pull it off...you are a genius : )

Edit: I dare you! : )
  11. One word regarding honey in an IIPA: HopSlam! Add it at KO or it will, indeed be lost. I did a pretty respectable clone a few years ago in which I used plain old mass market Sue Bee Honey. About $10 for a 5lb bottle at Sam's Club at the time, IIRC.
    nozferatu46 likes this.
  12. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Initiate (0) Chad Jan 8, 2012

For me - absolutely - just about all of mine get at least 4oz of Carapils.
  13. inchrisin

I'd say with the right choice of crystals, base malt, and (most importantly) yeast, a IIPA should finish with a high enough FG that you don't need carapils or maltodex.

Local farmers' markets, even at winter farmers' markets often sell honey. If you're lucky enough to have a vendor, it's <$2.00/lb, you buy it by the gallon, and that's usually 12ish pounds. For honey, that's cheap!
  14. In my neck of the woods, farmers routinely sell honey for $10+/lb
    kjyost likes this.
  15. inchrisin

:eek: I guess I should be mailing this stuff out.
  16. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Moderator (545) Georgia Feb 12, 2012 Staff Member

Wow.. We have some local beehives that sell their stuff, which is really good for like $4-5 a pound and thats pretty high for bulk buys.

I think it's like $10 or so for 3#'s and like $60 if you buy 18#'s of it.
  17. pweis909 likes this.
  18. No. Don't seem to need it. I'm trying to make the beer lighter with plenty of sugar. All depends though if you want more head retention it can't hurt.
  19. telejunkie

telejunkie Savant (305) Vermont Sep 14, 2007

if i want more dextrins, I'll increase my mash temp...so no.
  20. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Savant (350) Colorado Nov 29, 2006

I'd say it depends on what else you have in your beer. If you are using say, some munich and some darker crystal, I would probably say you wouldn't need it. I like to use torrified wheat, some light crystal, and some munich in mine, and small amounts of each.