1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Carbonating a Brett Saison After 7 Months

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by ewright, Jan 12, 2013.

1. ewright

ewright Savant (440) North Carolina Oct 25, 2007

I've had a peachy Saison-Brett, of a sorts, in secondary for about 7 months now. It tastes really good, has fermented down to 1.002 and is ready to bottle. I originally used Belgian saison yeast + dregs from Brux. After 2 months, I added dregs of another homebrew that had French saison yeast.

I'm worried about having enough viable yeast to consume the priming sugar. Will it be ok, or do I need to add more fresh yeast and/or Brett at this point? If I don't add anything, can I expect a normal carbonation level in 3 weeks, or will it take longer to carbonate?

2. benidy

benidy Aficionado (130) Missouri May 4, 2008

3. you will carbonate just fine. don't fret.
    give it a month just to be safe AND so that it can taste good. hell, i'd give it 3 months in a bottle before i taste it. brett will talking quite loud by then.

4. I bottled a bretted farmhouse in November that was almost 12 months old. I was going to add dry wine yeast at bottling time but forgot. It carbonated within 6 weeks. No problems. You should be fine. That brett is tough.