1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Carbonating in a bottling bucket?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by xJgroX, Dec 4, 2012.

1. xJgroX

xJgroX Initiate (15) Dec 4, 2012

So I just made my first batch of beer and I boiled the priming sugar with 16 oz of water and added it to my bottling bucket and then siphoned the beer over, now my question is can i leave my beer in the bottling bucket to carbonate instead of buying bottles to put it in? I have the lid with an airlock on it on the bottling bucket.

2. in short, no. carbonation occurs as a result of a build-up of the gas pressure above the beer. with the airlock in place, as the pressure builds up, it will be released through the airlock. I would not seal the bucket either, bottling buckets are not made to hold pressure.

3. You have to bottle right away out of the bucket. All you would do by adding some sugar like that is boost ABV. All the CO2 escapes just like it does for primary fermentation. If you wait to bottle out of the bucket, every little bit of CO2 that goes out the airlock, is not going to be in your beer (i.e. flat beer).

So... If I'm reading this correctly... you don't have bottles yet but already added the priming sugar? That's a problem.

4. pweis909

pweis909 Advocate (715) Wisconsin Aug 13, 2005

You are going to want to get some bottles, tubing, a bottling wand, a capper, and caps. Clean and santize the bottles. Add more priming sugar to the bucket and stir in gently with a sanitized spoon. Hook up the bottling wand to the bucket spigot with your tubing, then bottle and cap.

Or you are going to say "screw that" and get yourself a kegging set up.

I bottle and keg, so I have no strong bias here.

5. harsley

harsley Savant (460) Massachusetts Jun 16, 2005

You will also want to pick up a book about brewing beer.

DespiseTheIcon likes this.